Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much for your honest and heartfelt reply Thor. Time is a great healer; I am so happy that you have found this group of lovely people and are happy to share your memories with us.
Never before have I become so interested in a person in the public eye; I have been surprised at my own emotions, 27 years after his death and I found myself greiving because he was was one of a kind. There hasn't been anyone like Freddie since.

My favourite Freddie look starated from the period where he cut his hair shorter and grew the moustache, I preferred Freddie with a moustache which is funny in a way as I have read that this look didn't go down very well with some fans . I think that Freddie looked awsome during the Magic Tour.

What intrigues me is Freddie's change of style in the years after the Magic Tour . You will notice in videos and photos floating around that he started to dress more formal in smart trousers , shirt and tie. I have seen him say in a few interviews that he felt he wouldn't always be able to run around the stage in tights etc.

Thor/Lee did you notice a difference in Freddie after the Magic Tour but before he was diagnosed compared to your new york days?

:)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL, I just knew you had writing in your background! Your posts are so polished and I look forward to reading them. Writing is my favorite way to express myself too, though I tend to put my fingers to the keys and just spew my thoughts out.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OH NO....

A destroyed message from Lee...I hope you saved a copy Lee.

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 20:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, he’s back.
Black Queen’s Kid...thank you for your concern, and I deserve it. When Thor left the last time he bound me with duct tape so I wouldn’t go out to the clubs we frequent here and steal his thunder (pun intended). He didn’t want me to be having too much fun without him as my wingman.
Truth be told, I need to recover from the going out thing after Thor’s visits, as that young kid wears me out.
Thank you one and all for the birthday greetings. Thor and I decided that we REALLY didn’t finish our celebrating in true Mother fashion, and we will be continuing the celebration next week end. Also thank you for the St Patrick’s day wishes. I worked, which I’ve been doing a lot lately, and that’s fine.
I’m journeying to Ireland in a few months for a friend’s wedding at Waterford Castle (I was seriously tricked into it...) more about that later.
I made a promise to myself that I would have it paid for in advance, unlike my last trip. (Yuck). It was on my bucket list, but didn’t think 8 would go this soon.
I am Irish, German, and mostly Italian. I brag the most about the Italian part. SO for clarification I sent my spit into Ancestry.com, you just spit in an envelope, right?

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee I'm glad your back buddy I have missed you. I love reading your post you are so funny guy.What is your favorite drink when you go out mine is beer and tomato juice most people think its nasty but actually really good.I had a really bad experience with a liquor called everclear I will never try that one again it was the first time I had ever drink anything and I was a mess so embarassing I'm a light weight I cant hold my drink well but the state I live in are full of little pubs and bars.Us country folks know how to throw a party and a bail of hay well I guess that's all for now dont have to much fun over the weekend and if you do have a tomato beer for me.

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, that was rude, my post was stolen.
As I was saying what I heard back from them was that I was mostly Irish and Scottish, with some French, and Southern European.
Gggrrrr. Oh well.
Doughnut I was particularly taken aback by your mention of the Jim hating thread you read. Thor summed up our philosophy here abut that sort of communication form those people, but I sincerely thank you for saying that as I had no idea that there was that sort of thinking. It is so wrong. Thank you again. Sad.
Was it Emerald Bar Sweeper that posted that review from the Irish Times about BH? Kinda hit it on the head in a couple of ways, right?
I’m out of order here, but yes it’s Freddie’s Loves where the Thor comment is made. We had a great laugh over that. My tape (yes tape...it was the aughts, you know) of the show is red on my tv stand and we always say we’re gonna give it another look, but there were several things about that show that frustrated us.
Chevyman. Yes I have good things to say for sure. Tell me, have you an article or site you can post for us regarding there being a sequel. I actually thought that it would be amazing to clarify things with a “last six years” approach to the story. We all agree that there might have been some choices made to give the Hollywood film feel to the movie. Even Phoebe has said he was comfortable with their choice to exclude him, be it the right move or not, and was pleased to be respected as an authority while on the set.
I’ve taken a few days off for a mental health stint and will check in soon. I checked more than a few times when Thor was out of town but there wasn’t much action here, and that I understand.
In closing, for now, you MUST feel assured that Thor and I have the utmost appreciation and gratitude for all of your support, contributions to the blog, and encouragements.
Later, for sure.

thundergod

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of ancestry,
For my birthday, my sister bought me a "23 & me" kit which I immediately sent in and now have results already. Well, it is official, my brother, my sister and I all have 25% shared genes with a man name Paul, originally from New York State but currently living in Las Vegas indicative of a half-brother. I made contact with him yesterday. My brother and sister have also made recent contact with him. When he sent me his current picture yesterday, it was as if I was looking at a picture of my deceased father...incredible!.
I made up a joke because over time, my family has discovered that our dad was quite the ladies man.
I now joke that my career military father after fighting in WWII felt an obligation to help repopulate the world...lol
Things were so hush, hush in those days and more and more skeletons keep dropping out of the closet. We've heard of another half-brother in Germany after searching through our departed grandmother's personal letters, although If he is still around he is not registered with 23&me...(yet).
Anyway, my brother, sister and I will either all get together in Las Vegas to meet him or we will buy him a plane ticket to attend our annual family reunion in New York, this year on July 20th..The latter seems more probable.
P.S. I already told Paul that I am gay and of my connection with Freddie Mercury as well as the book.

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 22:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe it was an article online along with them talking about the BR movie finally viewing in china.It went on to say production was strongly considering a sequel to the movie since the first one had done so well in theaters.I have mixed feelings about the film and the way the next one might be portrayed but cant do anything about it it's always a person's choice not to view it and if they want to view it go see it.I guess we will have to wait and see.I think in the end the truth is known and it doesnt change anything it's a movie entertainment and serves its purpose.

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THOR,

How unbelievably exciting! I love this story and that you will meet! I have a friend, similar ancestry match, she met her birth father, (she was adopted) even though he lives across the country they visit, share holidays and it has changed her world for the better! Congratulations! Fantastic story!

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THOR,

How unbelievably exciting! I love this story and that you will meet! I have a friend, similar ancestry match, she met her birth father, (she was adopted) even though he lives across the country they visit, share holidays and it has changed her world for the better! Congratulations! Fantastic story!

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First time ever posting on any forum, so forgive me if I do or say something inappropriate. I, as well as many newcomers, have become obsessed with Freddie since the movie. I have been like a sponge trying to absorb as much information as I can about him and the band.
When I found this forum, it was a dream come true. I am so impressed with the amount of knowledge that so many of you have generously shared.

Thor and Lee, what an honor to have the pleasure of corresponding with two of Freddie's loyal friends.

That being said, I have tried to read as much of the forum and catch up with the latest as to not repeat any questions, but I am afraid I just couldn't wait.:)

I have been teaching junior high language arts for over 40 years (showing my age) and I have found music to be the perfect tool for creative lessons.
I am fortunate enough to be able to take my class to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. We are making the journey in May, thus the need to post now.
I am going to use Freddie as my "teachable" moment, which is leading to my questions:
1. What traits of Freddie do you feel are most "teachable"?

Also, I am looking for specific lines from Queen lyrics that I can use for students to respond to in a journal entry.

If neither of these are worthy - carry on with the topics. I love everyone's perspective!!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My "Ancestry.com" results indicate a very vanilla England-Scotland-Wales-Northern European back ground. I had hoped for some exciting Spanish Conquistador legacy, but alas we are all kind of "meh".

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Emdee,

Wow, a teachable moment about Freddie.

If I were to teach something about Freddie, it would be the limitless extent of his down-to-earth, non-pretentious, kind, generous ,empathetic and loving nature, despite having reached worldwide superstardom. Not many can pull that off and still remain real .He genuinely loved his fans as well as those working behind the scenes, allowing his concerts and the production of his albums to run flawlessly.
Also, despite his inevitable weakening and surmise from a poorly understood disease, he maintained a constant sense of dignity,selflessness and optimism throughout He remained interested that those near to him were provided for; never self-pitying nor complaining about his fate.

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Emdee.
We LOVE newbies.
The teachable moment that comes to mind
About Freddie is his kindness, generosity,
and thoughtfulness. I mean, how many people do you know that carry around a birthday book with them so you don’t miss soneone’s special day. I have many cards from Freddie that I cherish, and even a
telegram, remember those, when one year it snuck up on him. He wouldnt miss sending cheer. And the gift of laughter. That sincere
laugh that be heard on that audio someone posted is such a joy to hear. Phoebe pointed out that you really never heard that
in the film and I agree.
CHEVYMAN...I love beer. And tequila being
from a plant CAN’T be bad for you. I’m gonna try that beer and t.j. Idea, but I’d have to be buzzed. Ha! Vodka and Scotch and me just DON’T get along. That everclear sounds
dangerous. Did I get the name right?
Try half champagne (my favorite) and half
Guinness Stout as a brunch drink. Delish.
Is everyone groaning at that thought?
Yummy.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for Queen lyrics...I predict there will be a flood of suggestions from many of these wonderful QZ contributors...just wait!

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor glad you found your brother I hope you guys meet soon and have alot in common I only have one sibling I'm 6 years older than her I was born in 73 her in 79..I dont have any others that I know of but who knows my father was over seas in the Vietnam war so there could be somebody out there just kidding I always wanted a brother but I have one sister be happy you have all these wonderful siblings to share your life with.When our parents pass our siblings play such a important role in our life.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would suggest the lyrics and the video of "These are the Days of Our Lives" which blends in perfectly if you like my teachable moment suggestion. It is such a brave song in the face of Freddie's fate. You know that he wrote this song for us to help with his leaving us. Warning: it is a tear jerker.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My DIL gave me the 23 and Me kit for Christmas. No real surprises, I'm slightly more than half German, another sizable chunk of English/Scottish, and then some misc. thrown in. I didn't choose to give them the info that would have connected me with relatives. Maybe I should have, but I don't think there is anything interesting there. We are kind of a boring lot. On the other hand my brother did the Ancestry kit and did give them more info. I'll let him tell me if there is anything fun in our background.

Good to see you stop by Lee. You are right, we were quiet while Thor was gone. I'll bet if you had let us know you were here we might have been sparked into action. I think a wedding in Ireland at a castle would be lovely. Have you been to Ireland before? I hope you'll tell us more when you can.

Thor and Lee, your 40 year friendship is remarkable. I have a few of that duration and those people are family to me. Were you two seeing each other as often before the book as you are now or is this a bit of a reconnection for you?

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This has been a MAJOR reconnection and I am so happy for it. It's back to me, Lee, Freddie...and of course, Phoebe.