Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Emdee! I think Lee and Thor gave you wonderful ideas for teachable moments. Do your students know you are a Freddie fan? I'll need to think on lyric ideas a bit, but I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the people here.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here you go Emdee,

If interested, I've made it easy for you...the lyrics are written out there. Oh and the song was written in a collaboration of all four members of Queen.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=those+are+the+days+of+our+lives&form=EDGTCT&qs=PF&cvid=946588168dd44022ae7aca9ad38d5993&refig=f462d1f7fa6a4a65b172343e4df67f94&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0&PC=DCTE

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mother Love is also a really pretty song too I think Brian had to sing the last part because Freddie was unable to finish.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN-
So it looks like Mother Love was released after Freddie's passing. Interesting.

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSJbkZOvo0

Thor, here's a link to "Mother Love". It's on the Made In Heaven CD and was released several years after Freddie's death. The song is very poignant because Freddie is clearly contemplating his death in the lyrics. Things like "I long for peace before I die", "I don't need no stormy affair", etc. Brian says they worked together on the lyrics with Freddie wanting to keep pushing on. At some point he became too tired to finish and told Brian he would have to come back another day. Unfortunately he never made it and Brian sings the final verse. The song ends with a brief "ay-oh" and then a brief one second sound from every song they ever recorded. Most times when it comes on in my car I cry. If you listen, be prepared. He puts everything out there.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes!

I agree that These are the Days of Our Lives is a great song that would be perfect to introduce to students.

As for my second graders, I play them music all the time. We go down the hall to the buses listening to and singing Radio Gaga, with the arm motions and everything. They also really like the song Delilah.

I love hearing the stories about Freddie. Thanks, Thor and Lee, for sharing them with us. The quality that I admire the most about Freddie was the way he always put others first, even when he was dying. If only more people out there were as selfless and generous as Freddie, the world would be such a better place.

Lee, I admire your taste in spirits. I only like drinking tequila (mixed with anything), as well as beer (of which I’ve built up a pretty high tolerance lately). I hope you both have a wonderful and safe birthday celebration.

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, here's a link I often use if I want to clarify lyrics.

https://www.azlyrics.com/q/queen.html

It's a complete list of every song the band recorded, and the songs are listed in the order the albums were released. It's a great place to start if you are looking for lyrics to hook your kids into writing.

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd Its a beautiful song isn't it especially the ending when the baby cries.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mother Love is a great song. The ending gets me every time.

I’ve also been listening to Was it All Worth It a lot lately. Freddie’s optimism and joy toward life amazes me. What an incredibly strong person he must have been.

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emerald yes Freddie was strong I think it's those Indian roots coming out that's something we have in common usually when Indians are I'll they suffer quietly and pray to their God they stay strong and show no weakness it's just a Indians way I dont know if that's why he was like that with his illness or it was just him or a little both maybe only his God knows the answer.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,
Thanks so much for your quick response. I had some idea of what I was going to use, but it comes nowhere near the personal touch you have added through your relationship with Freddie.

I think my favorite part of this project for me is going to be when I tell the students I reached out to two of Freddie's friends for information about him. I can't wait to share your insight with them.

On a side note - I too did 23 and me. 38% Italian - just what I was hoping for, Lee!! I too wanted that Italian heritage:)

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm curious. All these DNA tests...……..is that an American fascination or is it universal?

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions. I am definitely going to check out those out.

My students do know I am a Freddie fan. At first, they were quite surprised. Not sure why - sometimes they have a hard time thinking I have a life outside of the classroom.
A student sketched a beautiful picture of Freddie in art class and I have been begging her for it ever since it was displayed in the hallway showcase. I was just as surprised so many kids know Freddie. Again, if one thing the movie did, it introduced a new generation to the legendary Freddie Mercury.

Again, everyone on here seems so kind and generous. I do thank you all!!

I am new to this, so it will take me a while to get used to posting. I can see this may become addicting!!

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@EmeraldBarSweeper, I love your name! John "Deaky" Deacon's underrated "Spread Your Wings" is in my personal Top 3 Queen songs of all time. I like Freddie's wardrobe, the starry glasses and both his and Roger's leather bomber jackets. I love how Freddie arches his head back and pours his soul out in song. Your heart breaks for Sammy and hope his dreams come true. Check out the official video that I've watched far too many times in the past 6 mos. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyd6OLyhPJo).

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I am trying to catch up in reading this thread from the beginning, random thoughts enter my mind so I am going to ask hoping it hasn't been discussed. If so just reference me to a page number!!
The next time I travel to NYC, I would like to go on a Freddie tour. For example- relive a day or two on the town with Freddie and the NYC Daughters!

Thor and Lee- where would you send me?

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo.T.

There's a cool bit of trivia with that video you posted the links to. I read this in Peter "Ratty" Hince's book. He was one of the primary roadies for Queen and assisted Freddie and John the most.

The video was filmed on the grounds of the estate Roger had just purchased. Peter Hince said it was a bitterly cold day and Freddie didn't have any gloves, so Peter offered him his roadie gloves, which are covered with duck tape in spots and has "Ratty" marked on the outside of them. Those gloves are old and worn. Freddie wore them for all the songs they filmed that day and was grateful to have them. :-)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor - what you wrote about this group reconnecting you to your Freddie memories in a new positive way really touched me. thank you so much for sharing that. I also love that this forum and the book has brought you and Lee closer together again, and with Phoebe too.

Lee your humor shines through in every post dear.You are such a treasure no matter what % Italian you are lol

Chevy steer clear of everclear! It is pure grain alcohol almost 100 proof.

I would love for ALL of us to meet up at bar someday and throw one back for Freddie! I adore this forum and feel so lucky to be a part of it

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, what a brilliant idea to use lyrics to teach a lesson. Great thought.
I started with the personality traits still obvious to someone when you think of the fact he had the world at his feet and kept real. And, that does show in his/there lyrics. Again, kudos.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,
What a coincidence that at the same time our own JoT. was reporting back on the semi- New York / Freddie Tour that I recommended to her several weeks ago via PM message
came in within minutes of your request.
I will follow up on that tour a bit later, but I just HAD to share these two videos that JoT. linked me up with.
As some of you know, 46 years ago at the tender age of 18, I found work at a club named Marie's Crisis in the West Village.
The place is still very popular to this day and as a matter of fact, it looks exactly the same as it did back then. It was always a sing-along piano bar and every once in awhile a Broadway Star or Composer/Lyricist (such as Steven Sondheim) would drop by. Every time I am back in New York I go there and usually always have a major blast!
Although this bar has nothing to do with Freddie, I will post these two links to let those who would be interested take a peek.

1) Darren Criss Introduces Lea Salonga at Marie's Crisis NYC ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIdRlWqwd_U

2) Everyday group sing-along

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=maries+crisis+cafe+you+tube&view=detail&mid=9904CD5C1C01457948E79904CD5C1C01457948E7&FORM=VIRE

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Emdee,

Congratulations on your amazingly long teaching career. Junior high…bless you! LOL

I love the suggestions of teachable moments from Thor and Lee. Related to their ideas…Elton John’s story of receiving a Christmas present from Freddie after Freddie died is very moving and shows the kind of thoughtful man Freddie was. The link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzUqop5kuCk

As far as song lyrics, I love the line from "The Miracle”…“If every leaf on every tree could tell a story that would be, a miracle”. The idea of trees/leaves as silent witnesses to history...that line could be a prompt for a great creative writing & art project. So many possibilities, for example: Think of the tree an escaped slave slept beneath while traveling the Underground Railroad.