Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the PM topic, I found out fairly early that if your PM is long, it simply gets cut off at some point. I switched to email contact with one new friend from QZ and since both of us are long-winded, it works better for us.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noorie, I agree with Thor. The information you are sharing opens a window to Freddie that we might not have had without you. I had Googled Parsi and Zoroastrian when I first started on this journey, but you have made things so clear. Thank you!

I know there must be a way to reply directly to a post, but I haven't figured it out.

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd thank you.
To reply to any post, just let your cursor hover over the empty space next to the date over that post.. where the icons used to be. You cannot see the icon, but you will be able to read 'reply to quote'. Just click on that invisible icon! :)

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, thanks Noorie!

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I had read that interview with Freddie's mom before, but I never tire of it. There is so much love and longing in her words. As the mother of two sons, I cannot imagine losing either of them. Her pain must have been so deep. Her words are another door into his personality and the reasons why he is still so loved today. I sometimes wonder what he would think if he knew how loved he is and how enduring his legacy is across the world. I have the book she references and it is beautiful. Though I had seen many of the pictures before, having them in one big beautiful book is a treasure. I have a nice library of Freddie/jQueen books and would be delighted to add another. (hint, hint)

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noorie........
I've been slammed at work and want to go back and re-read the latest posts!!! ! Didn't want u to think I wasn't Absolutely Positively Grateful for : 1st YOUR TIME 2nd YOUR WILLINGNESS TO OPEN UP TO US (Strangers Really.....w common Love for ALL THINGS FREDDIE) and 3rd.YOUR ENLIGHTENMENT!!!!
TTYS??

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Enlightenment? I would not go that far Blenkolove!! :)
But would love to talk to you whenever.. .... :)

Wow! Thor has brought so many people to this thread.. Amazing!

Thor, I now have the book mentioned in the beautiful interview you reproduced on my 'to buy' list. Somebody who has it told me it was very beautiful and very beautifully laid out. Has anybody here read it?
Freddie Mercury - The Great Pretender - A life in pictures.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the book Noorie. It's lovely and well worth owning.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a few copies of it. My family know im a Freddie fan so every year I get buried beneath Freddie books and DVDs as gifts. I usually end up with a few extra of everything. It's ok. It's a collection of photos most of us have seen before, put together nicely.

Villiers

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also where the heck is KathLEEN?? Lmao.

Did he say he was taking a break or did we scare him off already? Lol

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers, He is working tonight until 10pm PDT.

Villiers

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah ok. He may have even posted that and I just didn't see it. I've been meaning to catch up on the thread for a while. I chime in from time to time but I just started my Christmas break from work (No calls to my phone and no freaking emails lol) so I've been spending most of my day getting reacquainted with my old friend Jack Daniels. I say friend....I love him, he doesn't love me lol.

I've got some Janis Joplin on and am currently attempting to wrap gifts.

What kind of records did Freddie play around the house? Was he into Joplin by any chance?

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers that takes me back to my college days. Shots of Jack and fun nights! I can't do it now unless I mix it with something. I've gone soft! I tend to stick with just wine these days.

Did Freddie ever branch out from vodka and wine? Perhaps a bit of tequila? Everyone likes a good margarita sometime right lol

Blenkolove

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HEY Everybody!!!!
The US Government wants to Hijack OUR INTERNET!!!
IF WE ARE STILL A DEMOCRACY.......WE ALL NEED TO CONTACT ALL OUR REPRESENTATIVES AND THE FCC AND LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD........THE US IS RAPIDLY BECOMING an AUTOCRACY!!!!!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

I think this question got lost...unless I missed the response. :)

Was wondering if Freddie ever asked what you thought about his performance after any of the shows you attended? Did he seem to need your feedback? Did you ever hear him mention anything (positive or negative) about his own performance or that of the others in the band? Was curious if he was ever self-critical. (Maybe all post-show discussions were between the band members only?)

You might have mentioned this before, but can you talk about a specific moment/moments during any show that really stands out for you? I'm sure there were many. When I watch Queen concert videos, I am completely enthralled by what a dynamic and powerful singer Freddie is....it never gets old watching him perform...oh, to have seen him live!!!

Blenkolove

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SORRY SORRY SORRY!!!
I LOATHE POLITICS.......BUT I HATE WHAT'S HAPPENING TO AMERICA MORE.
The main reason I've spent Months engrossed in Freddie......is to AVOID the AWFUL that's been happening. But if Gov't gets control of internet...WE may not be able to do what we are ALL DOING RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!!!
I THINK?We American's still have a VOICE....
Just saying: )

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry blenkonlove but whats this got to do with Freddie? Did I miss something? Just seems really random and with no backstory. Did I miss a post about it before and how it goes to Freddie or? What's going on

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,
Freddie never discussed if he was disappointed in any particular concert. As I have said before, he never wanted to
talk about work when he was away from work.
Also, I loved the smoke screen, the high powered moving colorful lights, and the power of Freddie no matter what he sang.
No offence to Brian May but Lee and I always went for a beer during his guitar solo....except when his parents were behind
us...LOL

Villiers

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all do, Thor. Don't feel bad. Lol.

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 941 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, a bit late in the game but I loved the story how you got your name. God knows every man should have an Irish drinking buddy named Jimmy Kelly.