Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Lee, good to hear from you.

welcome Emdee :)

One of my fav songs is 'its a hard life' Brian May talks about the writing of the lyrics so fondly . He said that its one of the most beautiful songs that Freddie ever wrote, it's straight from the heart and he really opened up during the creaton of it. He sat with him for hours and hours. Brain has said that both he and Freddie were going through heartache at the time which makes it even more touching to me.

I have taken from Freddies interviews that he really did seem to be searching for love , the lines ' Life is tough on your own' Now I'm waiting for for something to fall from the skies' I'm waiting for love' are so emotional .

Lee/thor I recently watched 'freddie's loves' and I honestly don't think it is too bad. I like the ending of you both ' where are you Freddie, we miss you' It makes me emotional.

I have seen you guys in the Garden Lodge tape, the one where you mention Freddie had the table brought into the garden. I love that story . It is such a long time ago but I'm curious as to the part where Freddie and Brandon (I think) both put there leg on a wall/table type thing, it's looks like they are comparing something.

LoganMews user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor/Lee, just to let you know that I have finally made that donation via GoFundMe for the book, as much as I am excited about the book I am also excited about the autographs from two of the people closest to Freddie!!!

Lee, being Scottish I am very proud to have you as a member of our Freddie Clan. :)

I visited New York a few years ago and couldn't help but take a walk out to where Freddie stayed, I could only imagine the fun you all got up to and I can't wait to read about it all in the book.

Thor/Lee, I do have a question if you don't mind, during your last visit to Freddie in 1991 did you ever get the impression that people around him were seeing this terrible disease take hold so quickly? I only ask as at his last appearance on TV in 1990 he didn't look too bad but he changed so much when we saw him via videos in 1991.

Thank you both for this thread, the book and for sharing so many warm and wonderful stories of our hero.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T, Spread Your Wings is one of my top 10 Queen songs (I can’t narrow it down further than that other than to say Under Pressure is my favorite). I work a half mile from my house and live alone (my only child is now away at college), but I listen to Queen streaming on Apple Music whenever I’m in my car. It’s a Hard Life is another one of my top 10 favorites.

I’d love to go on a Freddie tour of New York. I’ve visited the city about 5-6 times but never did the bar scene. It sounds like fun!

On my first trip to NYC in 1997, I managed to win tickets to see Rent in the front row. The original Mark was still there. It remains to this day my favorite Broadway musical. Have you seen it, Thor and Lee?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JO T, have you seen the outtakes from "Spread Your Wings"? Pretty funny and Freddie was clearly feeling no pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObUnBgdO3M

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
Thank you for your link to the Brian and Roger tape of their immediate reactions to Freddie's death. The boys talked so fondly and respectful of Freddie. Of course there is the one rather obvious inconsistency of how they thought then and what was actually shown years later in the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody".
They talk admirably of a certain "un-named" group of three men who cared for Freddie to the end, but the absence of a female figure in this scene was to me, glaringly conspicuous. I don't want to go there, but these were Brian's and Roger's own words or should I say, absence of words.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Notquite I was about 18 when I drank that nasty stuff I was already tore up on mad dog it was the first time I ever drank anything so I was definitely a light weight for sure I haven't drank everclear since I like a good red beer or a good screwdriver if it's made right.However I'm on so much medicine for my nervous system I cant drink much but I sure enjoy watching everyone else getting shit faced .But you are right th hat everclear is bad stuff no matter how you mix it.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,
I agree! It's a Hard Life is a beautiful, emotionally moving, and truthful piece of music. Great pick!

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello LoganMews,

WELCOME!
I had the pleasure of staying twice at your lovely guesthouse at the Logan Mews and perhaps spent a little too much time in your wonderfully oversized jacuzzi. Whenever I seriously think of the color yellow, my mind goes back to the Mews and relaxing in that spa with it's brilliant, yet soothing, ornate yellow and white wallpaper and fixtures. It was a spa definitely fit for a Queen!
I may be wrong, but I think yellow was Freddie's favorite color. He is seen in a few photographs (ours and others) wearing a yellow "Dallas" tee-shirt, and then, of course the beloved 1986 yellow and white "Kind of Magic Tour" stage outfit.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, that link to the lyrics is brilliant.
Can’t imagine the total number of teachable
moments exist there. It would be a book if it’s own.
Thor, that New York Freddie tour sounds
like a popular idea. Let’s yiu and I go this weekend and have some fun. LOL

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello LoganMews,

WELCOME!
I had the pleasure of staying twice at your lovely guesthouse at the Logan Mews and perhaps spent a little too much time in your wonderfully oversized jacuzzi. Whenever I seriously think of the color yellow, my mind goes back to the Mews and relaxing in that spa with it's brilliant, yet soothing, ornate yellow and white wallpaper and fixtures. It was a spa definitely fit for a Queen!
I may be wrong, but I think yellow was Freddie's favorite color. He is seen in a few photographs (ours and others) wearing a yellow "Dallas" tee-shirt, and then, of course the beloved 1986 yellow and white "Kind of Magic Tour" stage outfit.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree it's a hard life is a great pic it's a very moving song it can mean many things to many different people maybe he had this in mind when he wrote alot of his songs he once said if you see it in his music then it's there he wouldnt explain what his songs meant because they can mean many things to many different people.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How funny.i think that Thor and I hit send st the same exact second, and were 120 miles
apart right now. Either that or the site has had a little everclear this morning.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Emerald, the coincidences on this site lately blow me away!
I was at my brother's house last week and saw one particular CD that I wanted to borrow until July when I return.

Well, what do you know...it was RENT...lol I never got to see the show, but I love a lot of the music and the lyrics. Now I can watch and listen to a full performance.
Have you people learned how to enter my mind or what?...LOL

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd,
Freddie being told he was out of sync....wow, hilarious! Thanks for sharing the link. hahaha

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, Hi Kathleen!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee! I'm always so happy when you pop in :)

Thor, I'm jealous you got to go in the hot tub, but did you try the SAUNA? He seemed so proud of it, but I would be too.

Was Phoebe the only one who lived in the Mews? I seem to remember reading Joe lived in the main house and he had his computer there too.

I'm planning a Palm Springs trip in June with the husband because I NEED to just sit by a pool and veg with a cocktail or two. Tropical Caliente is so kitsch and ridiculous I can't help but stay there.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW,
GUIDED Freddie in New York tours by Thor and Lee. Now that would be an excellent move (after we and a publisher).

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After we LAND a publisher.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetandTender,
Perhaps we could all meet up in P.S. and veg out together!

thundergod

Posted: 01 Apr 19, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee shared this article with me last night and I would like to share it with you. Interesting indeed!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/world/asia/bohemian-rhapsody-china-censored.html