Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will not accept PMs about this topic.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emerald, I first saw the WWRY tour dates posted on FB. I'd really like to see it, but when I explored the ticket prices, they were beyond what I can afford. Plus they are doing it in an older, less comfortable theater. I had tickets to the Broadway series in that theater, and was grateful when the city built a new, state-of-the-art theater and moved the Series there.

I do have tickets for Queen + AL, but even though I got them on the first day they were available, we are way up high. Good thing they have the big screens.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5, doughnut,rainbow61 -thanks so much for the warm welcome!! Your suggestions were greatly appreciated. It will take me a while to get through all of them. I began taking notes from all the posts so I could explore all.
I find myself looking forward every day to the forum. I don't want to miss anything.
Katydyd5 - thanks for sharing a part of your personal life Everyone has a story. Glad yours had a happy ending!!

A little off topic, but I wanted to share a story that happened today in one of my classes. I had a guest speaker in my class today, a librarian, that was discussing banned books. He brought a book titled "And Tango Makes Three". It is a true story of two penguins from the zoo in Central Park who create a nontraditional family. (Two penguins daddies!!)
Before he began, he announced to my 8th graders he was gay and had a husband. Not what I expected, but proud of the response. Students clapped and begged him to read them the book.
Although not really related to Freddie, somehow, I thought of him.

Thor and Lee,
I have been trying to catch up with the thread and I know this has been addressed many times, but just wondering if you or someone can tell me about the gofundme account and how the book is coming along.
I am pulling for this to become a reality.
Also, again thank you for participating in this thread. It's simply amazing!!

thundergod

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would love to go to the WWRY concert...why do you think the tickets are so expensive...is it better than Cirque du Soliele's "Love" about the Beatles in Las Vegas. I think I paid only $100.00 for front row seats two years ago.

thundergod

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emerald, I will PM you in about an hour!

thundergod

Posted: 02 Apr 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Make that in 2 hours Emdee. I have a scheduled chat with Lee at 5pm PST.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my gosh, I would love to see Cirque. The ticket prices I saw for WWRY were well over $200 and in some cases, over $300 per seat . However, after further research I realized I might have been looking at more of a scalper site. They seemed to have blocks of tickets in the most popular areas, but every seat in the theater was not available. I don't think tickets are even on sale yet. Thor, there are several performances in CA so you might get a chance to go, and I'm sure the prices would be reasonable. I'd like to see what the cost is when they actually go on sale, though I doubt I can convince any of my friends to go with me. I think Q+AL might have been their limit on feeding my addiction.

I live in Cincinnati, which is a fairly large mid-western city, but nothing close to the major cities in the US. However, ticket prices for major shows here are crazy. We saw Hamilton last month as part of our B'way series, and the seats were $170 each. It was worth it, and they sold all of the tickets for the three week run, but I think prices like that shut out many people. Lion King is coming to Cinci next year, and while I"ve seen it, I'd like to take my grandkids. Tickets are $165 per seat. YIKES!! I read an article, and I should have paid better attention, but I think it said that ticket prices in Cinci are what the market will bear. Maybe so, but again, so many people will be shut out.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers I just listened to the YouTube posting on what made Jim Hutton special. I must say that you have an amazing knowledge base. Thank you so much for sharing. With regards to the back story of "Love of My Life" ... It makes much more sense that it would have been written for David or written from Mary's point of view. The lyrics from a Freddie to Mary scenario don't make much sense, as she never hurt him emotionally (pure speculation on my part). He may have realized how sad she would be to know he would never belong to her. Or it could be for nobody as he stated. Maybe in the next life we can pin him down on it. :0)

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Hi Everyone.
Have I missed anything? That’s a joke, though I may not always write something I have been checking in frequently.
I’m with Thor. As an ex actor wanna be,
I like to hear that entertainers are being
compensated, but how high can ticket prices go before no one can afford to GO
to the theatre? Or Concert? Or Theme Park,
or...lunch.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! I wasn’t on QZ last night due to work. April Fool’s Day was certainly a busy day on the thread! LOL

@emdee0809, my friends and I had an awesome time on Thor’s “Freddie Tour” and the West Village last month. Your mention of “banned books” brought back memories of my youth. I deliberately went out of my way to read banned books, to see why they were banned in the 1st place! My 1st banned book was “Catcher in the Rye.”

@NeverTooLate, thanks for the trivia that accompanied the video for “Spread Your Wings.” I watched it again and paid close attention to Freddie’s borrowed gloves. I saw “Ratty!”

@katydyd5, thanks for the link to the outtakes for “Spread Your Wings.” If I hear “late on that” one more time . . . Both you and Freddie were blessed to have an Angel Team during your times of illness. “We Will Rock You” shall come to my neck of the woods in late Nov.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Lee nice to hear from you again have you been working hard lately.How you guys coming along on the book?

Jo T.

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

WOW,
GUIDED Freddie in New York tours by Thor and Lee. Now that would be an excellent move (after we and a publisher).

Jo T.

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, add a West Village pub crawl to your Freddie Tour! Besides Ty's, take folks to Marie's Crisis, Stonewall Inn, etc. Thor is the Visiting Norse Viking of the West Village.

I would take his recommendations on restaurants, menus, bars and entertainment ANY time, even if it's not Freddie-related or NYC-related. I'm sorry it took so long to give a shout-out on the thread. I've been back home practically a month.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.
Thank you for the knowledge that you had a great "Freddy in New York" tour...LOL. Only a small amount of places remain from that time period. Next time I will send you to the historic building that was once the Anvil on W. 14th St.,, where I originally met Freddie. It has been converted into a high-end restaurant now as the old "Meat Packing District" is now trendy. Long gone are the open air cow and pig meat hooks on the outside of the buildings. LOL, there is a picture of the renovated building in the book.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, By the way, TheSquirellyOne is completely as awesome.as Villiers. She doesn't come here much anymore, but we have a mutual respect, developed in the early days of my first blog. I am trying to encourage her to weigh-in here every so often. We will see..

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We Will Rock You is coming to my area. The tickets go on sale this Friday and I will definitely be going.

I've been fortunate to be able to see a lot of Queen related content. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a Queen tribute band called Gary Mullen and The Works. It was a great show and good time.

In May I'm going to a show called Rocktopia which is described as "A rule-busting multimedia extravaganza, ROCKTOPIA fuses the most iconic 20th-Century rock with the most world-renowned classical compositions. Five world-class vocalists—backed by a full symphony orchestra, an electrifying rock band and a powerhouse choir—take the very concept of music itself to electrifying new heights.
The anthems of Queen and Journey meet the odes of Beethoven. The power of Zeppelin merges with the poetry of Puccini. The greatness of The Who blends with the grandeur of Strauss.

I also already have my tickets to see Queen +Adam Lambert in July.

I'm too young to have ever had a chance to see Freddie live, but I love to take any opportunity I can to celebrate and appreciate him and the music he left us.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought about the topic of Freddie not having women friends, I wonder if part of the reason was access. While I am sure he did prefer male companionship, I don't know if women were excluded on purpose or more so, they just weren't many around in the social and business spaces he existed in. I remember Thor mentioning that at the time they were club hopping with Freddie in New York, women did not hang out in gay clubs like they do now. Phoebe mentions in his second book that way Freddie and Barbara Valentin met and became fiends because she was the only woman allowed in gay clubs in Munich. Even with the music business in 1970s and 1980s, most of the people he would work with would be men. It does not seem as though there were a lot of women around for him to have had the opportunity to form close friendships with even if he'd wanted to do so.

It does seem that he was close with his costume designer Diana Mosley. It was mentioned in a few books that in the last year of his life, Freddie pushed out a few people, and Diana seems to be one that was still spending time with him towards the end.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning, Y’all!

I hope everyone is having a lovely day. It’s beautiful where I am (I wish my neighborhood pool didn’t wait to open until the last week of May when school is out).

Is anyone planning any fun trips this summer? The NY Freddie tour sounds like it’d be awesome!

I’m not much of a traveler (I live on a teacher’s salary after all); but I did visit LA for the first time last summer. It’s my favorite place to visit so far. I love the weather, the friendliness; and the quirkiness of the people there. There was always something interesting to see. The year before, I visited London (my first time in Europe). I stayed in Kensington. It has been the most beautiful city I’ve visited.

Thor and Lee, I wish I knew some publishers. I just had my first donors choose project funded for some classroom books. I wish they had a similar sight where people could pitch their book ideas online and publishers would decide then and there which ideas they’d publish. With the new popularity of the BoRhap movie, I’m surprised there aren’t publishers lining up to publish your book. I’ve read some pretty crappy books about Freddie that have been published, but you guys actually knew Freddie and were good friends. My favorite books are the ones written by Phoebe, Jim, and Ratty because they haven’t relied on heresay in their books. I love each of their different perspectives about Freddie.