Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, and this is related because Freddie wrote in cursive...LOL

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm up for a party but since my sickness hit I'm in a wheelchair I cant get too drunk or I will be on the floor.Damn these autoimmune diseases.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So sorry to hear that CHEVY
And, by the way, CORVETTE, my favorite Chevy besides you!

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My oldest learned cursive at school but my younger two I taught them.

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor how sweet I got a syndrome called gbs it caused severe nerve damage it was caused by a flu shot.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh SHOOT,
That messes with my pro-vaccination agenda...damn!
Again, I am so sorry this happened to you.

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor it may not happen to you its 5 in 100 thousand people get it.

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way in case anyone wants to know sometime in may Pryor Oklahoma is having their Rocklahoma fest I think Ozzy Ozzbourne is gonna be there.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you following your flu shot.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN sorry to hear you’re going through that. AND how it happened.
I wanna know the answer to Thor’s cursive question as well.

The weekend of The Wembley Stadium
Concerts! So fun.
Freddy rented a limo bus with a lounge
in the back so that everyone could travel
there together. I’m sure that story has been told before. I have a few photos from the bus, but I remember having so much fun
that I didn’t take many. Silly me.
After the first night there was a “simple”
soirée at the Garden Lodge. ( Well that
sentence is a oximoron. Could there be such a thing?) LOL.
After the second concert we all headed to the Roof Gardens Club in Kensington. That was the affair the with the naked people painted green performing a tableau vivant of
sorts, and their sista friend operating the elevator, also naked and green. A better than good time was had by all. Freddie arrived with Mary in his arm, and they both looked amazing. I gave the camera a rest that night. The party continued back at the house, and it was great!
The next day, Freddie was in a fabulous mood, as you can imagine, having the concerts behind him. I’m not sure if it was that day or the next that the Garden Party
extrodanaire took place. As mentioned the full formal dining room set was carried out,
and there blankets on the ground for lounging and sunning or whatever one does
between cloud drifts in London.
Freddie was the consummate host.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 545 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddienotfreddy,

Glad to hear you are going to see Rocktopia. My husband and I saw them 2 years ago on their first tour...it is now one of my all-time FAVORITE concerts! The show is amazing. How can you go wrong with the greatest rock songs of the 70's and 80's seamlessly blended with classical music? Outstanding musicians include Chloe Lowery (who has sung with Trans-Siberian Orchestra), Mairead Nesbitt (violinist from Celtic Women), and...here is the Queen connection...Tony Vincent who was in the first London production of "We Will Rock You". I am hoping they come somewhere near us again because I will definitely be there. Their final number, "Don't Stop Believing" had everyone on their feet singing and clapping. It was joyous! Much to my surprise, there was an autograph signing session after the show (that is one of the great things about smaller venues). I bought a very inexpensive poster ($10) and had everyone sign it. I also mustered up the courage to ask Chloe and Mairead, who continued to chat with fans in the lobby after the autograph session, If my husband and I could have our picture taken with them. They were so gracious and lovely.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Woah I saw Villiers do a random live and say she is going to be chatting with you guys on a live and there was about 60 people in there absolutely freaking out for it. When will this be? She got so many comments I dont think she saw mine. Also I hear a certain guitarist has heard one of her lives and liked it. Huge news for her! Well done Villiers and guys I can't wait to see it. What will be discussed? The book? Your personal lives or 100% Freddie?

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 577 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Y'know, I believe I write in semi-cursive if there is such a thing! Some of my letters are stand alone, some joined up! ? Don't know what that says about me? Schizophrenic?

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 19, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, that's how I write as well. I' m a million years old (well, almost 60) and had to learn to write cursive as a child. I remember getting a "C" in penmanship and a comment along the lines of "with handwriting like that you'll end up working in a gas station". OK, fast forward to today and I'm an analytical chemist. My handwriting is still awful, but I mix and match my printed letters with cursive letters. It's a nice hybrid. Heaven help anyone who has to make out my scrawled notes before they get types into a spreadsheet or word document.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, sorry I missed your comment during the live yesterday. A date has not been set yet and I'm still in talks with Thor and Lee abot the schedule but they both comfimed they'll be joining so it's pretty exciting stuff. Yes, a certain someone has listened in on some of the lives I've uploaded to YouTube and apparently liked what he heard. I guess all those years of reading about Freddie have finally paid off lol. As for the topics the daughters and I will be covering, thats also something to be determined in the next few weeks. I'll ask them what they're comfortable covering and I'll open questions to the followers for 24 hours, and pick out some of them that fit what the guys are open to.

Some more recent good news, our latest giveaway ended last night and although it takes me forever and a day to sort through the messages and entries, I'm happy to say in 30 days time we raised $931.13 for St Jude's children's hospital. Something I'm very proud of! All donations were made directly to the St Jude website and counted by donation conformation screenshots.

Each giveaway we hold offers extra entries for those who donate to the charity we are supporting that month. If you donated, thanks so much!

Thor and Lee, I'll be emailing! And thanks again for being so open and enthusiastic about joining the live. It's going to be a real honor chatting with you.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cursive is part of our county’s third grade curriculum. I taught third grade last year and for most of my career. We spent very little time weekly on cursive (students practiced in a handwriting book). There is so much more content and state tests that have to be passed that there’s little time to devote to it. There’s so much more that kids have to know by the end of third grade than when I was in school. It takes a lot of time for kids to learn to write well in cursive. After third grade, however, kids are no longer required to write in cursive, so they don’t as it’s not yet a habit.

I think that, with all of the technology kids use, there’s no longer a need for it, just like there’s no longer a push to teach spelling because of spell check and auto correct. I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that all kids should learn how to sign their names in cursive (and they love doing this) and I think they should learn to read cursive, but it’s no longer as important as it was when I was in school because every paper in middle and high school has to be submitted electronically.

My daughter can sign her name in cursive but prefers to print everything else. But she’s an artist and prints like it’s been written on a computer and printed out. I prefer to write in cursive.

Freddie had beautiful handwriting.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So guys, you are saying that if a certain malware closed down every computer in the country, kids would not know how to communicate their thoughts. Block printing would be the only option. I just don't get it but then again I don't quite understand what happened to all my good old dinosaur friends...lol.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep good ole tecnology.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers you should be proud. That's a great cause to have them donate to. The live sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it! If I could make a suggestion for the live with them I'd like to hear some about Thor and Lee as individuals outside of Freddie bc they are so much more than just friends to a legend.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Other than the occasional birthday or Christmas card do people even write real letters anymore? I have friends all over who I text and email, but the need to actually put a pen to paper is a rare occurrence. I think most kids would look at the darkened computer screens and decide to never communicate again.