Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a third grade teacher for most of my career. My last year of teaching was in 2012. I taught cursive to my third graders every year…for the most part, they liked it. Spelling tests were always done in cursive, but I usually gave the kids a choice whether they wanted to use cursive in other subjects. The school district I did my student teaching in back in 1989 taught cursive in kindergarten! The kids did really well. The loops and circles used in cursive are supposedly much easier for young children to form than printed letters and there is some evidence if helps reduce letter reversals. There were no issues learning to read print later on.

Thor and Lee, your question about how people sign checks if they never learn cursive was interesting; I had never thought of that before. I decided to do some online “research”. From what I read, there is no requirement that check signatures be done in cursive. I had no idea.

My grandfather, who was born in 1902, had the most beautiful handwriting I have ever seen. It is definitely a dying art…but having said that, I prefer to print. Jo T. I also wonder how people will be able to understand historical documents in the future if they never learn cursive?

Can you picture Freddie learning cursive? He seemed like he would have been a "high energy" kid and sitting still to practice his cursive letters was probably torturous for him!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK Rainbow,
Perhaps checks do not require signatures in cursive, but what about Last Wills and Testaments, Mortgage purchasing, and driver's licenses...mine has my signature in cursive and it is certainly within the last five years. I just don't get it..

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why on earth anyone would want or need to know how tall his parents were but I did meet them briefly along with their daughter. They were all fairly short if that helps any. His sister and mother were very kind. His father seemed reserved and having just lost their son it makes sense.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

While a signature written in cursive is the norm, I am not sure there is any legal requirement that it be in cursive. I read that if a document is signed and witnessed, than it is valid, but I am just passing along Internet info. Who knows? For a while Prince's name was a symbol....I wonder if that is what he used to sign documents?

Villiers...I caught your first YouTube broadcast a while back. It was extremely well done. You have such a smooth and natural delivery style. I can't wait to listen to your most recent entry...and an upcoming chat with Thor and Lee...Super. Great idea to combine your passion for Freddie into a fund-raising effort for worthy causes.

I believe you have a legal background...any comments about signatures written in cursive?

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy,

Sorry to hear about the negative side effect of your flu shot. Stay strong!

You mentioned that "Chevy" is your stage name. What does that mean? Are you an actress...a singer?

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

It looks like you will need to have a combo NYC book signing AND guided "Freddie Tour"...possibly ending up at Marie's Crisis.

Carpool karaoke...how about buspool karaoke...Lee, I think you have been nominated to lead the choir. LOL

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61, I love your idea! We'll serve Moet et Chandon on the party bus, too.

NeverTooLate & SM, I appreciate your responses.

CHEVYMAN (I'm a FORDWOMAN), I'm sorry about your GBS.

Lee, if you're game, I'll need to rehearse some lyrics. I have hands-free Sync, but I can't hold a cheat sheet and drive simultaneously.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman sorry to hear you are poorly , that sucks .

Vil!iers I listened to your lives they are great . Who is the certain someone who listened ? Sorry I'm a bit dim lol

Shaun nice to see you back. Hope you are well?

Lee\Thor your trip to London and the party weekend sounds so much fun. Freddie was having a blast with Samantha Fox ! Gary Glitter was there , if only we knew what he was up too lol

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers I hadn't heard of the term 'beard' until recently. Has it always been the term used ?
Thor I forgot to say that Jim said Freddie went with Mary because of the press at the party. Such a shame things were so different back then .

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in Texas and don't think cursive is taught here any longer. I have a 16 year old son. I remember him being maybe 10 and reading a book and asking me to help him read a small passage of the book that was written in cursive because he didn't understand it. That is when I realized cursive was not being taught and it is a foreign language to some now.

I make it a point to write things in cursive every so often, even if it's just doodling the alphabet in cursive, so that I don't forget how to write it.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61,

I admit I'm not much of a classical music fan and I had never heard of Rocktopia, but it sounds so interesting that I'm really looking forward to it. Another point is that the tickets a very reasonable, about $40. Compared to the prices of most shows these days, that is a steal.

We Will Rock You tickets don't go on sale until this Friday where I am. I'm curious as to what the prices are going to be as others have said they are pretty expensive in their various area. I also just learned Cher is coming to my area in December. I'd love to see her show as well.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut,

Not to speak for Villers, but I'm pretty sure "the someone with a guitar" being referred to is Brian May. He is really active on social media.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,
You mentioned Freddie walked into the Rooftops Garden party with Mary. Was Jim there too? I know Jim mentioned in his book that Freddie would have to walk into places with Mary, and he would be a couple of steps behind them. Was that the case at this party?

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddienotfreddy thank you, I did manage to look back and see it was Brian May. How amazing.
He was on UK TV yesterday promoting his Queen in 3D book. He always talks so fondly of Freddie .

Freddienotfreddy Jim did say he went to the party at the Kensington Roof Top although I know Lee has said he doesn't recall him being on the bus that was organised. From reading Peter's book he mentions that Barbara was over for the concernts too? In Peter's second book he mentioned that from his point of view Freddie had a much healthier relationship with Barbara than what Freddie had with Mary. He explained it because there was no guilt attached with Barbara. Obviously I know Barbara went a bit silly after Freddie died which is a shame.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1085 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I think Barbara lied about things that happened but on the other hand she accepted him as he was he didnt have to pretend .She was as wild as he was she also felt comfortable around the gay scene which made a big difference Mary never accepted that part of his life I dont think.Its a shame because he really loved her as his friend and yes gay guys can love women as friends but I dont think she wanted that.She treated his friends terrible or let's say ignore them maybe.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman I agree .
Peter talked of how much fun Barbara was and that he had some of his best times with her . Although others have said she was a bad influence so who knows .
I'm sure Freddie was his own man and did what he wanted

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I think he did as he pleased alot of people dont like Barbara but I kinda like her in a way because he could let his hair down around her.They blame her for drug taking and so on well that comes with fame it's a price you pay sometimes it's nothing new celebrities have alot of stress if he could go to newyork and Germany and disappear for awhile and be a normal guy so what if he indulged a little it didnt affect his music and he sure wasnt broke if things were like people claim he would've had no money.

Yes I think he did as he pleased alot of people dont like Barbara but I kinda like her in a way because he could let his hair down around her.They blame her for drug taking and so on well that comes with fame it's a price you pay sometimes it's nothing new celebrities have alot of stress if he could go to newyork and Germany and disappear for awhile and be a normal guy so what if he indulged a little it didnt affect his music and he sure wasnt broke if things were like people claim he would've had no money.