Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I think he did as he pleased alot of people dont like Barbara but I kinda like her in a way because he could let his hair down around her.They blame her for drug taking and so on well that comes with fame it's a price you pay sometimes it's nothing new celebrities have alot of stress if he could go to newyork and Germany and disappear for awhile and be a normal guy so what if he indulged a little it didnt affect his music and he sure wasnt broke if things were like people claim he would've had no money.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I think he did as he pleased alot of people dont like Barbara but I kinda like her in a way because he could let his hair down around her.They blame her for drug taking and so on well that comes with fame it's a price you pay sometimes it's nothing new celebrities have alot of stress if he could go to newyork and Germany and disappear for awhile and be a normal guy so what if he indulged a little it didnt affect his music and he sure wasnt broke if things were like people claim he would've had no money.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What cause this to repeat text?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, your texts are repeating because you are hitting the "post reply" button more than once. I know it seems like your post isn't there, but it will be, it just takes a long time to load. Just click it once and try to be patient.

SM, I understand the interest in the height of Freddie's parents. It took me a while to realize that Freddie wasn't a tall man because his stage presence was so huge. I just assumed that he was tall until I saw him in pictures with other people and read many comments about his slight build. Since people are usually a bit taller with each generation, knowing the height of his parents might give some indication of Freddie's height. I know he always said 5'9'', but I wonder. It's just one of those curious bits of trivia.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I try to see the positive in everyone but I struggle to see anything positive about Valentin. Anyone who claims Freddie slammed their skull into a sink and strangled them in their sleep with absolutely no proof is the lowest form of a person imo. She was a compulsive liar at best. She may have been fun to hang around with in the early days but even Peter admits Freddie was turned off by her actions and desperation. Who lies to the press and claims they're getting married to a gay man, going way beyond beard duty? Who calls the press and lets them know where they're going to be so she can play beard and hang on his arm? Who waits until that gay man is dead to claim they had a sexual relationship with him and he tried to murder them on 2 occasions? Sorry, she may have been fun for a short time but....yikes. I'm sure Peter has some good memories of her and he spoke to a friend of mine about her in July and said "No, he never was with Barbara" and when asked why he thought Barbara lied he said "People do strange things when they want to feel important. She was fun though."

I just....she screams "bad juju". Let's just say she was fun for a short time and helped to translate between freddie and his boyfriend in German. That's something positive lol.

And I'm sorry I don't remember who asked me about the term "beard" but it's been around for many years. Especially in Hollywood. Betty White for example said as much as she adored liberace, she was tired of playing his beard throughout the 70s and 80s. Before her it was a few others in the 50s and 60s, so I can imagine the term has been around for decades

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut. Sorry if I mid spoke. I think I actually have a photo of Jim on the bus. He was in the back with us.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I was just thinking about Peter description of how you made your way to see Freddie after your first meeting which Freddie was really happy about . What prompted you to do this rather than leaving it as a one night thing ?

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MIS spoke

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know Jim was at the party but I don’t remember any details in regards to him.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers it was me that asked about the term 'beard'. I'm not very knowledgeable with hollywood and I'm sorry I don't know much about betty white.

It's a completely new thing to me.

I agree what Barbara said after is absolutely appalling . Really I was just going on the section in Peter's book about her. It reads that he was quite fond of her and correct me if I'm wrong but I think he wrote the book after Barbara made her claims. I may be wrong though as I'm not that knowledgeable about it outside of his book.

Lee that's cool that you may have Jim in a photo with you all. It was a !ong time ago , not sure if I remember much from 1986 lo!

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee I'm shocked .....why did you not track Jim's every move :)

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee-

Are the photos of Jim in the book?

I love seeing photos of him and sadly there aren't many. And your gorgeous smile, of course!

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers I know you refer to Barbara as his beard and going beyond beard duty but aside from that I thought they were friends. She did seem to feature in his life in the garden lodge period , apart from the last year . I think Freddie perhaps had seen through her by this point but she did seem to be more than just a beard.

It's the same with ma , she wasn't just a beard but a very good treasured friend .

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going by what Peter Freestone and friend Dennis DeWitt have said. She was definitely fun to hang around with in the beginning, but Freddie "started to avoid her". Dennis mentioned a number of times Freddie saw her enter into a bar and he left out the back to not cross paths with her. It's important to remember that Freddie was very guilt driven. We see that in relationships like Mary, Joe and even Prenter. By that I mean, for one reason or another Freddie oftentimes seemed to feel he owed people he was once close to something in return. Joe seems to have been a great guy, but many sources say their breakup was a bad one and Freddie felt guilt over it. Enough to not only bring him back into the inner circle but to provide him with a job. Same thing (but on a much larger scale) with Mary. We can talk for days about what all Freddie did over the years to make up for disappointing her lol. What I'm getting at is, one of Freddie's most interesting character traits seems to be a certain feeling of obligation to those he felt he was once close to. Too many sources say he was annoyed with Barbara for me to believe he never lost interest in their friendship. But like Prenter and many others who showed some bad colors, he let her back into his life with what Peter called "a certain distance kept all the way". I discussed this a bit in my Prenter live a few months ago (trying to hunt it down and upload it to YouTube) and like Paul, Barbara showed she couldn't be trusted and was still allowed back into the circle before being cut out completely. Paul didn't do 90% of what the movie claimed he did, but the paper sellout wasn't his first screw up with Freddie either. Before that, he was let back into the inner circle multiple times. I believe its because Freddie felt a closeness to him once, when Paul had introduced Freddie into the gay scene. That was a positive to Paul. He helped to introduce Freddie to the gay world and he did have good intentions while doing it. At the time, there was "no danger" aside from good sex and late nights for the most part.

Then there's also the 'mother' aspect to Barbara. Like Mary, Freddie seemed to cling on to female friendships in his life (the few he had). By that I mean, he saw the negative of both women, knew the downside of keeping up a friendship with both and continued to do it. Some would argue more so than any other man in his life. Why is that? My theory is because they represented a mother like figure to him. Look at Barbara. He would gush about his boyfriends and ask for advice and run to her apartment if in an arguement with his lover. He couldn't gush about boyfriends to Mary, he never seemed to feel right about it and according to Peter, he hid many parts of his life from her. What she did do was get after him as a mother does, keep one foot of his on the ground. Both these women offered him different aspects of what a mother would. I have no doubt he loved his mother and that his mother loved him but there's no denying Mrs Bulsara shamed Freddie for being gay and Freddie responded by hiding that part of his life from her. Hiding everything from his private life from her. They loved each other but they weren't close in the way most mothers and sons are. When you get sent off at 7 years old and don't live with your mom again until your late teens, you may not necessarily know them, or them you. I think Freddie tended to lean on Barbara and Mary similarly. In the beginning both were fun and exciting. Then they became a comfort. A mother substitute. Would he have broken away from Barbara sooner though, had he not felt some kind of guilt for once being so close to her? That's something to chew on.

I rant, I know lol. But yes, I do believe Freddie was once good friends with Barbara but I don't believe his friendship with her after her slip ups was ever the same and I have to wonder how much of that friendship was based in guilt and some "mommy issues" later in his life.

And this is coming from someone with their own mommy issues so please don't take it as a negative thing lol

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers yep I get all of what you said but at the end of the day there is only one person who could clarify all this and sadly he is gone .

I follow Denis on Instagram and I'm not overly keen. I saw his comments about barbara, he also told someone Jim was there just to look after the cats and garden lodge and Freddie at the end. When I questioned this he got defensive and said that is what everyone in the c!ubs at that time were saying.
Funnily enough this is what barbara is quoted as saying in the Lesley Ann book. He is sharing his personal photos and getting cross that they are being screenshot. It's social media what does he expect.
Sorry I just don't get good vibes from him about his friendship with Freddie like I do with Thor and lee.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's only said good things to me about Jim, but I haven't spoken to him in a few months. Maybe he changed his mind on him or something lol.

I can't say I get bad vibes from him and he does provide us with some really good information, so I'm down with him.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me again , just got to say i still find it so hard to match the Freddie on stage to the man you see showing people around garden lodge. He really did seem like two people. He used to say he is quite boring really but I bet he wasn't at all. Everyone who knew him has nothing but good to say about him. That's what makes him.so amazing