Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is a genuinely a good person. I just like songs with lyrics, not instrumental heavy metal. sorry.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Fireplace,
I agree...LOL

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Blenkolove,
I used to blurt out political statements too, but you have to remember that this thread has people on it from
all around the world, I agree with you, but please Private Message me with political viewpoints. Thank you
friend!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen YouTube of Brian's solos and I think that beer sounds pretty good. I like Brian a lot, more so the more I read, but I'm not into the heavy metal either. Wasn't that a welcome break for the rest of the band though? Oh shoot, I can't think what the closed off area on the stage was called............doll's house? That sounds wrong. But didn't they disappear in there to regroup, catch their breath, etc? Did Roger do extended drum solos?

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katydyd,
According to what I have read and heard, there were drum solos also, but I don't think that happened during the two
American tours. I would have remembered that (I hope) because I had good feelings about Roger.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been to 4 Queen and Adam shows and I have gone to the bathroom or gotten nachos during every single one of Brian's solos lol. Tons of people do. My brother is a big drum fanatic so he always stays put for the Roger drum battle but even he gets ups and stretches a bit when Brian goes solo.

Brian even joked once that he knew people left to get refreshments when he played. I don't think he takes it to heart lol.

He's a massive talent but I can't do 11 minutes of instrumentals either.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee did either of you ever see Freddie party hard enough to get sick? My cousin called me today and told me about his weekend adventures that left him puking out of a car window thanks to unlimited free drinks at a party. Peter Freestone talked about the very first time he ever watched Freddie on his own. Freddie was usually being taken care of by Paul Prenter at the time but while at a club Paul got lucky with a man and left peter in charge. He was to let Freddie have fun and take him where he wanted and make sure Freddie got back to the hotel safely. Apparently Freddie voted for staying at the gay bar and drinking peppermint schnapps. Lots of schnapps. Peter said he didn't feel like he had the right to suggest Freddie slow down so he just let him drink and by the end of the night Freddie was stumbling around and nearly passed out in an elevator on the way back to his room. Poor peter got stuck cleaning up Freddie's puke by the end of the night. Such is the life of a rockstar though! Freddie slept it off and was fine the next day. But talk about a hard first day at work for Peter.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a man in my 20s in beautiful Cali, I am all too familiar with partying that hard. Which is why I ask

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, Lee, and ALL following this thread,
Mea Culpa!! I'm New to Social Media....But I'm old enough to know better than to espouse Political opinions!!! I had just returned home from work, turned on a bit of News.......had a knee-jerk reaction!!
It won't happen again!!

*****not sure if I can PM?? I'm on a device and realize it has limitations*****
And to Thor....THANKS for having my back <3

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Thor, on the last thread you mentioned a fun trip to Jones beach, Freddie renting a limo, bringing beach toys and crazy costumes. Sounds like you had a blast (well maybe not for Peter as he mentions in his book he got sunstroke). Can either of you elaborate on that day a bit more? Did you guys spread out on towels and work on your tans....go swimming...walk up and down the beach? What beach toys...a volleyball, frisbee etc.? What kind of crazy costumes would you wear at a beach? I remember Peter saying that he never saw Freddie swim at any time he knew him. So did Freddie just walk in the water up to his knees? Just trying to get a picture of what that day was like. Thanks for indulging my silly questions!!!!

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, who wouldn't? This is a paradise!

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
I remember a delicious picnic lunch prepared by Peter Freestone. Also, we had some disguised cocktails. Jones Beach
did not allow alcohol. Oh well! I don't remember costumes but I do remember beach blow-up toys. and silly glasses and
neckwear.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just wrote about a 300 word response, and it was kidnapped by the internet, somehow......OMG.....and it WAS brilliant.

I'll try again.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'll try again.....it went something like this.............

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG....it happened again.

The internet just gave out as I was on another 300 page response. ggggggrrrrrrr

I'll try again...........

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sooooooooooo
Hiiiiiiiiiiiii
It's nice to be missed and talked about.
Old line............the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Noorie, thanks for being Norrie.
Villiers, thanks for missing me.

One of my favorite lines from Freddie, came when I had just came off of a busy work week.

He said "Kathleen, where have you been? You were conspicuous by your absence". It's a line I use to this day.

I'm posting and replying before the message is stolen again.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, it's been happening to me too.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK.....SOOOOO Thor has outed us about our beer runs when Brian started his solo.........it IS true and we got such a kick pout of the tradition, except for the second night at Wembley when Brian's parents were sitting next to us the second night at Wembley Stadium..........we waited until an appropriate moment to get the beer......LOL
We were in the friends and family section for the concert both nights.
Mick jagger was BEHIND us for the second night, also. That made us feel special.....HA !

I absolutely do not remember Jim being there for the Wembley concerts. He avoided us when he could. Might have been a jealousy thing, or some strange assumption that he wasn't wanted around. Freddie had gotten a huge limo bus so we could all travel from The gArden Lodge together. There was along in the back where Thor, Freddie, Brandon, and myself planted ourselves........maybe Phoebe was there, because I have a great photo of the four of us that SOMEONE had to have taken. Maybe it was Jim, but he doesn't seem to remember us, as there is not a single word in his book about the New York Daughters, except of the line where John Murphy was assumed to be a lover of Freddie's, and probably passed the virus on to him because, he, John, had slept with patient zero........W T F ???????? Just because patient zero was a flight attendant did not mean that all flight attendants slept together. YIKES.

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It happened again...........i was tying away, and boom....gone

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JONES BEACH
Fun, fun, fun.

Freddie's limo pulled up to my corner, and Mother sprung from the sun roof with his arms in the air.

The usual suspects were there, including Freddie's New York chauffeur, with some strange zebra shirt on, cause Freddie had told him to wear something festive. Bill Reed was there, and behaved himself ALL day.......

There were LOTS of photos, and a sweet one of Freddie and Bill on the ride home......

i don't remember Freddie going into the water. The cocktails were strong.

I really, REALLY good time was had by all........

What have I missed question wise?