Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers I'll see if I change my mind about him , perhaps I'm being harsh

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, like i said it been a few months since I've last spoken to him so maybe he's changed a little. You're not the first one to tell me about his photo thing, either. He does however have some great info and has been kind enough to reach out to me on a few occasions and confirm many of my theories and elaborate more on them so I hope to stay in contact with him if for nothing else than to keep providing Freddie's fans with solid info. I do feel that Thor and Lee radiate more of a family vibe with Freddie than he does, though. I sense more of a closeness between the NYDs and Freddie than he had for sure.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers, did Barbara really accuse Freddie of abusing her and calling the press to follow them.Thats one desperate woman.They say girls used to follow him when they even already suspected he was gay.That part about his mom makes me sad maybe he wouldnt have depended on ma so much if things were different.What about his father did they have a accepting relationship?

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers, he really went out the back of the bar as she came in the front.DIdnt they live together share a room or something.Fatal Attraction that's all I'm saying.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We seem to know so very little about Freddie's Dad, Bomi.

The only personal thing I've ever heard relayed about him is the report Kashmira gave that she and her Dad cried over the newspaper articles about Freddie which they read together. God, I hope they didn't read the hateful, dreadful homophobic column written by that foul scumbag Joe Haines!

I also heard that the distance between Freddie and his father was somewhat healed when Freddie payed for the best medical care for his Dad when he had a health crisis. Don't know how true that was.

I understand their relationship was quite.... remote for some years, which is quite understandable considering both Freddie's long distance formative years and his life style as a touring rock star.

I think they were closer in Freddie's declining years, when it must gave become apparent that their first born child was ailing.

It's striking to me that in, was it Days Of Our Lives documentary?, that Kashmira said "We knew Freddie was gay, but that didn't bother ME, at all" not _US_ , but ME. Oh. Why can not all family members embrace their loved ones life choices and show their acceptance and blessing ? As far as I'm concerned if nobody is being hurt, and everyone is consenting, live and let live!

No wonder Freddie's life was so complicated when he had to compartmentalise his life so much. How tiring! How unfair.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone did ask Dennis whether he thought Freddie was in love with Jim and he said "yes"

It's important to remember that Dennis only knew Freddie for a short time in Munich. He wasn't a close friend.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone did ask Dennis whether he thought Freddie was in love with Jim and he said "yes"

It's important to remember that Dennis only knew Freddie for a short time in Munich. He wasn't a close friend.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol yeah Chevy, he did run out the back and I'm not going to lie, I cracked up when I heard that bc I think weve all been there with a friend before. "Oh no...not her. Not right now." *makes a swift exit* A friend from Germany known as Miss Piggy confirmed the story as well. Made me chuckle!

No, that's a pretty common misconception that they lived together because they did in fact go half on an apartment but freddie never stayed there and didn't even feel it important enough to leave her his half of it in the will. She had to fight the courts and ended up buying his half. Peter said he only stayed at her apartment when he got into a bad fight with winnie and said freddie stayed overnight at her place no more than 2 times that he can remember. And that was before they bought the apartment together.

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, sorry I didn't see your comment about Freddie's father earlier. Bomi was always described as quiet, stern and respected. Not much is known about him. Peter said Bomi rarely spoke but when he did, "Freddie always stopped what he was doing and listened."

I don't get the idea that they were particularly close, but I have no doubt he loved his son and that Freddie never lost his respect for his father.

Also yes, the murder claims from Barbara come from her own interviews with Lelsey Ann Jones (yuck) and handwritten letters from Barbara to her friend Maurine (the name started with an M, I want to say Maurine lol). The part about her calling the press and letting them know where they'll be came from Peter Freestone. It's safe to say she was just....a mess lol.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet that's not exactly true. Denis was in Germany but he'd known Freddie for years as they met in Brazil. I just spoke with him last week about it. Something like 81 or 82 to 88 before they lost contact.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers2,

The part in Peter's second book where he tries to explain Freddie's friendships with Mary and Barbara is very interesting. I wish I could force all the people in the Mary-was-Freddie's-true love camp to read it!

Posted: 04 Apr 19, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"It's striking to me that in, was it Days Of Our Lives documentary?, that Kashmira said "We knew Freddie was gay, but that didn't bother ME, at all" not _US_ , but ME. Oh. Why can not all family members embrace their loved ones life choices and show their acceptance and blessing?"

I'm glad someone else picked up on that too. Reminds me of what David Minms had to say about it.

"I believe that Freddie thought that he was letting his parents down and therefore perhaps letting his religion down at the same time by eventually admitting he was openly gay. It is not surprising that he wished to suppress his past given that they perhaps would never accept him as anything else but heterosexual. His father Bomi, would always refer to his gayness as, “That other business”. I remember having the most almighty row with Freddie after he arrived at the flat having spent lunch with his parents and no doubt Mary, because Jer, his mother, had accused him and had asked him, “You’re not up to your old tricks again, are you?" Confrontations about his sexuality Freddie could not deal with and he would run away immediately. This was the abiding frustration for him. The number of times I had to listen to him in heated telephone conversation with Mary and, no doubt, she vice versa with myself, were indeed numerous. We were not the cause of his frustrations; the cause of some pressures, yes, but Freddie survived and fed off of pressures throughout his life. They were the fuel for his imagination; he released them as lyrics upon a page and transferred this to the recording studio and the live stage."

And

"Freddie’s problems were exacerbated because of his guilt concerning Mary and the continuing deceit he showed towards his parents. His mother asked him yet again, at lunch one day, “You’re not up to your old tricks again are you?” Meaning? “You’re not seeing men again?” He was in a rage and very upset when he came over to see me that evening."

His parents came from a totally different world than he, and I think they never understood why he "chose" to be gay. They just didn't get it and I think he felt so much shame, he probably just felt it was better to keep Mary around them not so much to protect them as Kash suggests, but to swerve any questions about "that other buisness" he might get. Give them a sense of normalcy in his life and block the questions lol.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like the relationship my uncle and grandpa had till the day they died.My grandpa couldnt stand to look at him and they were once so close so as I got a little older and figured out I liked both boys and girls he told me not to talk to them about it and I know why.Even when my uncle passed my grandpa thought he got sick because he sinned.My whole family were of mormon faith and then theirs me.Its was alright to have 7 or 8 wives but i guess your not allowed to love who you want I dont get that.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers, you know what they say the more you drink the better they start to look and then you wake up next to them and say damn your ugly.Maybe that's what he thought of her when he ran out that back door.Its good his sister accepted him most of the time your siblings will.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha Ha Doughnut,
This late in the game, I will have to refer you to chapter 2, Philadelphia.(We call them vignettes rather than chapters) in the book...sorry. I have to prove that there is still going to be much NEW information in the book, per the publisher's (whoever that will be) request.

thundergod

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet&Tender,
There is a GREAT photograph of Freddie and Jim having an arm wrestle....it WILL be in the book!

thundergod

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,
I am pretty sure you are mistaken about Barbara's "time period". She played a definite role in the 1984-1986 Munich, Germany days. However, during the 1986-1991 Garden Lodge days, I don't think she did, but I could be wrong.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"There is a GREAT photograph of Freddie and Jim having an arm wrestle....it WILL be in the book!"

That alone is worth the purchase of a copy! Seeing them together warms my heart. He seemed so content in photos with Jim. I like to believe he was.

There's also a great quote from Peter that says something like "Freddie created his own family with people he picked himself. Friends."

I find myself piping up with "and family" whenever I hear someone mention Thor and Lee as simply "friends of Freddie" . This book is going to blow the roof off the joint.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor - love your teasers about the book!!

Just wondering if you or Lee have ever had any desire to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland?

Also, I would like to thank everyone for filling me in on the Lesley Jones bio - money saved going towards Thor and Lee's book:)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, glad you passed on the Lesley Jones bio.Have you read any good books? Did you read Peter and Jim's? I also really like the Minns/Evans book.

Love the teasers Thor and Lee put out about their book. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it.

Like Villiers, I think Freddie looks so content in the photos with Jim. One of my favorites is the two of them in plaid shirts standing in front of the dining room (?) window. You can see the love. There are several from Christmas too that are just plain happy.

Thor or Lee, did you guys meet Mack? What was your impression of him?