Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5- I have both of Peter's books and Jim's on my kindle. Also on kindle I have This was the Real Life by Minns and Evans. I bought Somebody to Love in paperback. The prices for the hard copies seem very expensive for Peter's books. I also purchased Brian Mays 3 D book a few months ago.
Ratty's book sounds interesting although some of the reviews on Amazon weren't very good-but most on this forum seem to like it- so I will probably get that next.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated!!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure if I did meet Mack...was he one of the roadies?

The friends of Freddie that I remember meeting, besides quick hello's to the other three Band Members and short periods with Mary Austin are:
Dave Clark (of course)
Cliff Richards
David Hodo (Village People's construction worker) in New York
Fran Leibowitz (in New York)
Peter Straker
A very entertaining guy named Tony (last name escapes me right now). He used to be Man Friday (or Phoebe if you will) for Elton John and Yoko Ono. This guy had the funniest stories ever and his delivery and timing were great. He kept Freddie laughing for sure.

Lee might have a more expansive list.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emdee0809,

I do not recommend Somebody To Love. I have read it and it is full of lies. It quotes a lot of Leslie Ann Jones's lies about Barbara Valentin and also states the lie that Freddie contracted HIV from Thor and Lee's friend John Murphy. Thor has already disputed this. The book goes so far as to attempt to connect Freddie to the flight attendant that was the so-called patient 0 HIV carrier.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

I think the Mack Katydyd5 is referring to is Reinhold Mack, who was Queen's and Freddie's record producer. Freddie was the godfather to one of Mack's sons.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes, you'll want to avoid that Somebody To Love book. The whole Barbara Valentin thing from it is sourced from Lesley Ann Jones. And it's the book that made the claim that John Murphy was patient zero/infected Freddie.
None of that stuff was true.

Ps Thor, I've been getting loads of requests for questions for you guys already. Someone mentioned John Murphy and I'd definitely like you guys to clear the air for him as many of those people read the Somebody To Love book and were shocked to hear it wasn't true. That is, if you're up to answering questions about John M and Joe S. I've gotten an update from Ms Sam today too that's pretty exciting. I'll drop you guys an email this weekend to chat about it. Enjoy your time with Lee!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol FNF, looks like we were thinking the same thing

thundergod

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love it Villiers...

This podcast with Lee and myself is getting more and more exciting. So as it turns out, I will be back in Palm Springs (besides this visit Apr 6th to Apr 10th), on Apr 17th or 18th until Apr. 23rd. Maybe we can work it out during that time period.
Especially exciting is that - word has it - that a special guest may be listening in!.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know what happened to Terry, Freddie's driver/bodyguard? I think his last name was Giddons? He isn't talked about a lot, but he was also with Freddie to the very end and Freddie included him in his will along with Jim,Joe, and Peter. Peter mentioned that Terry continued to come to Garden Lodge everyday even when it was obvious that Freddie would no longer be leaving the house. Peter also mentions that Freddie thought Terry's son was one of the most well mannered children he'd ever met. He did mind him being in Garden Lodge with all his priceless vases and art.

Thor/Lee,
Did you meet Terry during your visits to London? Were you driven by him when you went out with Freddie in London, especially during the 1986 visit? He was obviously loyal and cared about Freddie and Freddie obviously trusted him and considered him part of the family.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers2,

HAHA..yeah we were. I remember reading that book and smelling the BS. When I got to the patient 0 and John Murphy part, I knew the author was pulling that out of his you-know-what.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the heads up on the book- I guess I'll just look at the pictures!!

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the heads up on the book- I guess I'll just look at the pictures!!

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddienotfreddy wrote:

Does anyone know what happened to Terry, Freddie's driver/bodyguard?.

Hi FNF!

In the books I read (Jim's and Phoebe's) I remember the mention that Terry was offered a job by MA to continue in his role and he had accepted. What became of him thereafter I've never heard. He was the only one who MA retained and didn't rescind a job offer (Phoebe being the one who did experience that).

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, I liked Ratty's book, though you'll learn more about the life of a Queen roadie than Freddie. It's definitely a "warts and all " book, but I get a kick out of the diva side of Freddie too. In the end it's clear that he has a love for Freddie. He does mention the New York Daughters. If you've seen him in interviews since he's very likable.

Yes Thor, I meant Reinhold Mack, their producer. Someone gave us a great link recently to an interview with Mack, Mike Moran, and a man whose name escapes me at the moment. Mack and his family were very close to Freddie, and provided him a family life in Munich. Freddie and John Deacon are godfathers to Mack's son Freddy.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverTooLate,

Thank you. I have read both of Peter's books and Jim's book, but did not remember Terry being kept on by Mary. I do remember her initially saying Peter would stay on then rescinding that offer very last minute.

emdee,
I also enjoyed Peter "Ratty" Hince's book. It is not Freddie centric, but I enjoy learning about the band as a whole as well.

Thor/Lee,
Another thing Iv'e been curious about, in Ratty's book he mentions that Freddie did not want to do the Magic tour. Chris Taylor (Roger's roadie) said the same thing. Both Ratty and Chris have said they were part of coaxing Freddie into the tour. This may be more of a Phoebe question, but do you remember Freddie expressing hesitation about the tour and why he did not want to do it?

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About cursive and signatures on legal documents . . . Somebody or more than one person had asked about it on the thread. I can't even remember how it related to Freddie in the 1st place.

I consulted my sister and brother-in-law earlier tonight. They're both licensed attorneys in their home state in the U.S. According to them, a person does NOT have to sign his/her name in cursive on legal documents! Print is acceptable. My BIL joked that most of his clients' signatures "are barely legible anyway." An illiterate client could theoretically sign his name as an "X" on legal documents.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:
. . . we heard Freddie yell out in the background, "let them in Phoebe, they are family."

I'll bet you and Lee melted when you heard him. It even melted MY ice-cold heart! LOL

In a way, the NY Daughters were the family he never had, where he could be his true self and receive unconditional love and acceptance.

thundergod

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa Jo T....you will have to wait for that episode in the book, with pictures...

thundergod

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.
Page 166, my second reply down from the top, I admitted that this cursive discussion had nothing to do with Freddie,
by saying humorously that Freddie wrote in cursive (so that's how it is related)..

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 545 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.

Thanks for the info about signatures. I think this began with Thor making an innocent comment that he had heard schools don't teach cursive anymore...then the teachers, former and current, chimed in (along with a few others) and the cursive conversation was set in motion!

Speaking of writing....there is a quick scene in the Budapest documentary where Freddie is signing what looks to be a guest book or register. Brian, John, Roger, and Jim Beach are behind him. Freddie turns around to get Jim B's attention and says "Watch this". Then Freddie points to something in the book and they all crack up. Does anyone know what Freddie said/did that made them laugh? It's cute...and Freddie looks quite dapper in his blue suit!