Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.

Thanks for the info about signatures. I think this began with Thor making an innocent comment that he had heard schools don't teach cursive anymore...then the teachers, former and current, chimed in (along with a few others) and the cursive conversation was set in motion!

Speaking of writing....there is a quick scene in the Budapest documentary where Freddie is signing what looks to be a guest book or register. Brian, John, Roger, and Jim Beach are behind him. Freddie turns around to get Jim B's attention and says "Watch this". Then Freddie points to something in the book and they all crack up. Does anyone know what Freddie said/did that made them laugh? It's cute...and Freddie looks quite dapper in his blue suit!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor...I must have been composing my last response when you posted...I didn't see it until after.

I am looking forward to any copies of cards or notes from Freddie that you and Lee will be including in the book. Those must be some of your most meaningful keepsakes from him.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin I have seen Denis say that it was Paul printer who introduced him to Freddie in a Munich club . Reason being queen had performed in rock in Rio in Jan 85 and Denis is from rio. That's why I'm wary.

Also be said he got to know Freddie well in the shot of his video living in my own. Furthermore both Peter and jim mention a good friend in munich called patrick. He lived above winnie's restaurant. He adopted Dorothy the cat. Denis said he didn't know of patrick which is odd if he knew Freddie that well to be a c!ose friend .

Denis didn't know about the incident at Freddie party where prenter gave Freddie something that caused him to go blind for a while when the cake came out. Even though he said he spoke to him lots that night .

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin I have seen Denis say that it was Paul printer who introduced him to Freddie in a Munich club . Reason being queen had performed in rock in Rio in Jan 85 and Denis is from rio. That's why I'm wary.

Also be said he got to know Freddie well in the shot of his video living in my own. Furthermore both Peter and jim mention a good friend in munich called patrick. He lived above winnie's restaurant. He adopted Dorothy the cat. Denis said he didn't know of patrick which is odd if he knew Freddie that well to be a c!ose friend .

Denis didn't know about the incident at Freddie party where prenter gave Freddie something that caused him to go blind for a while when the cake came out. Even though he said he spoke to him lots that night .

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor barbara is in photos at garden lodge and in photos in spain. She did appear to be around until the last year. She is in the garden lodge tapes over Christmas . It's where Freddie is showing people the mews. Jim also mentions her in his book

And regarding my question ......nooooo I can't wait that long ha ha

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy that is one on my fav photos of Jim's and freddie. Also Jim shared a,photo of the arm wrestle in his book. It's an awsome photo.

Can't wait for the book

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excuse my spelling, kindle keeps changing my
words ...grrrr

Can't remember who asked but in the magic interview in 86 Freddie talks about being doubtful of the tour because it requires a lot of fitness etc.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, yes I think that's why he didnt want to tour any more .Brian still wanted him too but it required to much for him he was starting to feel the effects of his illness I can relate autoimmune diseases make you feel so tired with chronic fatigue all time.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, in the Budapest clip where Freddie is signing the guestbook, I believe the person directly above in the book had signed their name and then written Bank of England. I think Freddie signed his name and then wrote "Queen of England". Not sure, but that's what I got from it.

Emdee, another book you might want to look into is Peter's cookbook. I think it is called Freddie Mercury's Royal Recipes. I can't remember if we had a discussion about the book here, or if it was somewhere on FB. The book is full of anecdotes about Freddie, pictures, many of whom are the NY Daughters, and of course, recipes. There are sample menus from parties too. Some of the recipes look very tasty but so far I've been too lazy to do the conversions so that I can prepare them. Either way, the book is a fun read.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There might have been an additional reason for not wanting to tour outside of Europe and UK, in addition to the fatigue FM was experiencing, and that was speculated about in one of the books I read. The theory went like this: tours require health screenings to get insurance coverage for the stars of the tour. An insurance medical screening would include blood tests and those tests might have included the HIV test if it was available and if it was and it was accurate, FM's status would have showed up as positive. No idea if any of that is accurate, it's what I read and remembered.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverToo Late I was under the impression that the health screeninng reason for no further tours was made up and contained in the books written about Freddie/queen that contain a lot of incorrect information?
I don't know if I have seen or read Brian and co say this.
I'm guessing he must have known something may be wrong and Brian has said that Freddie said ' i can't tour anymore, my whole body is wrecked in pain' but Brian said this was something Freddie said after most of their tours so they didn't take much notice.
If that were the case wouldn't they have all had to undergo blood test etc before the magic tour and if so wouldn't it have possibly given a result of either HIV or aids. Gerry was their concernt promoter and maybe harvey goldsmith and back then they didn't have sponsors. Brian has said that was the first tour where they actually made money, probably because they played large outdoor venues.

Katy would you recommend Peter's cookery book , is there any new stories in it that we might not know from his books?

Cheyman Freddie was diagnosed after the Magic tour. I think he looked great during this tour so I never understand people who say he looked ill. He went to Japan afterwards with Jim and offcourse he had his hat party and he looked great at these events too. This is my thoughts from seeing photos and the tour on dvd.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I get what you saying he did look really good for a long time he was so physically fit.

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor/lee when your book is publised , will it be worldwide ? I'd be gutted if I can't get a copy :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I'm not sure I'd say that there is a ton of new info in the cookbook, and you will have seen all of the pictures. I enjoyed see the comments and stories about the types of food Freddie enjoyed for each of his meals. He had a different palate from mine as far as preferences and it was fun to compare. I have a large collection of books about Freddie, and this one is a unique addition. Several other people here also have the cookbook so maybe they can weigh in with an opinion. When I bought my copy some or all of the proceeds went to MPT and that was another reason for my purchase.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everybody, this is my first post in this wonderful thread and my English is really horrible so I hope you won't judge me too strictly ??

Villiers2

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and thoughts. I'm thinking about guilt theory and I agree that it could be very important force in Freddie's relationships. But when we consider that he would let people stay in his life because he felt guilty, what about contracting Jim with HIV? That must be humongous guilt feeling he practically killed him (at that time when there was no proper medication). I know he didn't knew Jim was HIV positive until 1990 but he wasn't stupid he had to suspect this.
I really wish to believe that they had wonderful relationship until the end but there are some clues which make me uneasy, even written by Jim Hutton himself. I'm pretty sure that they were very much in love at the beginning but towards the end I tend to believe that there was this guilt factor which made Freddie to stay with Jim. And also his fear of being alone. He knew there is no chance to find somebody else.
I'm quite sure Jim loved Freddie but I'm not sure it was the same from Freddie towards Jim, I mean after several years staying together. But I also know that even when there is no big love and passion in a long term relationship, you can be happy with your partner and I very much hope, they were happy together.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh no Doughnut,.
You mean Lee's photo of the arm wrestle is not the only one? I will have to ask him if someone else snapped a pic at the same time. Thanks for warning me.

Lee, is this possible?

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right, I know he couldn't tour anymore AFTER the Magic Tour once he was diagnosed. I was wondering about his hesitation to do the Magic Tour itself. It is possible he may have already not been feeling 100% even if he didn't know why yet.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

World Wide, Doughnut ?

Why, it will be Galaxy Wide, darling!"

Just a little Freddie inspired humor.
(disclaimer: No, Freddie never said this)

Posted: 05 Apr 19, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well it had better be Galaxy Wide Thor or I shall hop on a plane and come find you ha ha

Yes the arm wrestle is all over the internet, it's a fab photo. I just checked and yes it is in Jim's book with the notes 'sparring partners - Freddie and me during the Magic Tour.
Lee's one might be slightly different, different angle etc. Have a look onthe internet to check. I would add it here but I don't know how to .