Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman - couldn't have said it better - it's amazing how much my opinion has changed since I've joined this forum. I have been hot and cold with this topic, but when Thor mentioned his bad vibes, that was enough for me.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Em! Yes, I've recently been told that to fix that, you would need to go to my page, click "notifications" and change it from "some" to "all" and that should do it!

rennsage user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the reply, Villiers!

I was hesitant to start another Mary war but I find her story interesting and somewhat sad, just on a personal level. I know some people find her and some of her actions "bitchy" but, if so, I'd like to find the reason behind the supposed "bitchiness" and I don't think it's just that she's an inherently horrible person.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Peter's second book he goes into this. Peter seems to think Mary did stay around so that when Freddie was done "with all that other business", she would be the first in line when Freddie was ready to settle down, get married, have children. Mary didn't really care much when Freddie was living in New York or Munich because there weren't any women around. Peter says that when Freddie became friends with Barbara Valentin, Mary seemed to feel threatened and became demanding, though he didn't explain in what way Mary became demanding. Funnily, Peter also says Barbara wasn't that same bawdy, fun loving person that she normally was when she was in Mary's presence.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers -Got it - Thanks!!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers, I feel you are right. Freddie keeping Mary around and involved in his affairs seems just as cruel to me as if he had married her. Imho She has her son's but never seemed to be able to bond to anyone else emotionally after Freddie. Sad

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, you can use a credit card to pay for the cookbook, and as I recall, it wasn't expensive at all. The site will convert to dollars so you can see what you are doing.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, Now I am confused. Katydyd is Freddie by chance wearing a blue Gold's Gym tank top (singlet)? If so, than it IS Lee's picture. I will have to ask him about that.

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, no, it's a navy blue tank top. You know I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but I'll send it to you. I don't think it is Lee's picture.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, I really think she thought he might change his mind but I think it would've been easier if he let her go all together.It made her mentally sick and unwell I think .You know he dated a girl in college and she broke things off because she new he was struggling then and new it wouldnt work out.What Mary did is unhealthy and unnatural.She was very clingy type woman.Even if he weren't a gay man I think he would've eventually left her for someone else because he seemed to have a high sex drive so that in itself might have caused problems plus jealousy on her part.

thundergod

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Katydyd,
The one I am looking at has Freddie in a blue tank top with red trim...but does it say GOLD'S GYM on the shirt?

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this might be the Jim photontheyre referring to, Thor. This was in Jim's book I think from 94?

Attachment: 201946865841515.jpg 270 KB
This has been downloaded 54 time(s).

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Gold's Gym lettering is mostly cut off, but that appears to be the tank he's wearing in the picture.

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oop, sorry I didnt mean to answer for Katy re the photo. But the uncropped pic has the gold's gym printed in yellow. Does Lee have a pic of them actually arm wrestling or did Jim have a copy of Lee's pic?

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Villiers, thanks for posting that picture. That's the one I think people might have been referring to. I haven't seen an uncropped version so I don't know if it says Gold's Gym. When the subject first came up, that picture popped into my mind, and it wasn't until today that I actually Googled and remembered that they weren't arm wrestling.

I'll have to figure out how to post links to pictures. It's ridiculous that I can't .

thundergod

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Villier's, that IS the exact picture that I thought Lee took. I will clarify this with him soon.

thundergod

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If someone else took that picture, we will not be able to use it in our book.

thundergod

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for thinking it was arm wrestling...it certainly is NOT!

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, shoot. I guess you guys must have all been hanging out around that time then? For both Jim and Lee to have copies, I'm assuming. From what you mentioned in a few other stories though, you still have plenty of unseen photos to use!

thundergod

Posted: 06 Apr 19, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Correct Villiers