Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Matt z had some questions for you Lee.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On page 14

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 97 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait wait Lee! You mean Jim Huttons book when you say he never mentioned the NY Daughters but said John Murphy gave Freddie AIDS? I have read the book at least 50 times over the years and knew Jim personally along with his niece who I still consider a dear friend. He never said that about John in his book. that John thing was stated as fact in the Somebody To Love book (which was lies) and a few other poorly informed books. Like I told Thor when I asked Jim about the NY Daughters he smiled and said he was thrilled Freddie had friends like them. When we talked about you guys he never once had a bad word to say. Just that he didn't know you guys very well. He loved that you were friends with Freddie. I think he probably just felt like he didn't fit in. He definitely didn't say the John Murphy stuff. Remember he was reporting back in his book calling out the lies that the press and Paul Prenter spread about Freddie at the time. He certainly never believed John gave Freddie AIDS as he told me himself that he didn't know who gave it to him and neither did Freddie. He also stated that in the book. Jim was closer to Freddie's England friends and the band but I think it's because he was around them more. He stayed in touch with Brian until he passed in 2010.

Keep in mind that Freddie often flaunted other lovers in front of him to make him jealous all the time too. Peter confirmed that on many occasions. He never mentioned any of you being Freddie's lover at any point so I doubt jealousy kept him away in this case.

He did tell me about Winnie though!

Sorry just wanted to clear that up! I can see how you guys might have taken it a different way with Jim not hanging around.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Huh? Are you sure that line from Jim's book about Murphy wasn't about what some tabloid wrote because I'm very familiar with Huttons book and he didn't say that to my knowledge. Also Jim didn't take the photo you're referring to. He didn't get to take much of anything from the house. As Peter said Jim and them were asked to leave Garden Lodge right after Freddie died and Jim didn't get to take any photos. He actually asked Mary if he could get some that he himself took of freddie and she said no. She also didn't let him take the cat he bought for Freddie. The stuff he had in his book was stuff he either managed to sneak out or stuff he already put away. Doubt he could even sneak anything out because Mary actually had security that wouldn't let them in after Freddie died. Jim Joe and peter were searched when they left the house every time theu stepped in for anything. If anyone took your photo from Garden Lodge it was Mary. The last time peter went in he mentioned all the photo frames still being there but the photos of his friends and Jim Joe and he were all removed.

She also didn't let peter get all his belongings. He talked about a suitcase he never was allowed to get back.

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 178 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to a Queen + Adam concert on Wednesday night and loads of people walked out en masse as soon as the solo started!

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is from Peters book. He was saying that Paul Prenter had gone to the press and claimed John was a lovers of Freddie's.
"On May 4, Freddie was devastated by another story about him in the Sun. And so was I. His old friend, Paul Prenter had stitched him up. Aids Kills Freddie's Two Lovers, it declared, and the story was run across three pages. Tony Bastin, from Brighton, and John Murphy, an airline steward, had died from the disease in 1986. And Prenter claimed that Freddie had called him late one night and poured out his fears about Aids."

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry my last post should have said it was from Jim's book not Peters lol.

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 178 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah like Dustin says, it was definitely Prenter who started the John Murphy rumour and the STL book ran with it cos the authors didn't do good enough research. I worked out he hadn't slept with John cos Peter's book never mentioned it.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome back KathLEEN! Lol

What was your impression of Mary? Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here lol. I've never met her, but the vibe I got from her character has never been....very good? I wont go too deep into my thoughts on her choices after Freddie's death but let's just say I was disappointed in what I read about some of ways she made Peter and Jim feel. She could have (and should have imo) handled that very differently.
*sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, I know LOL*

Thor said she didn't seem very interested in joining in with the fun when you guys were around. Was that the vibe you got as well? Did you guys ever share any fun times with her? I'm assuming she was only seen when y'all were in London. I'm sure she meant a great deal to Freddie but I'm wondering if she ever reached outnto any of his friends at all because the general feeling about her from his gay friends was that she avoided them. At least that's what I got from some books and interviews

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol What did Thor say on his thread about Mary? "I might burst the Saint Mary image". It doesn't take much to do that when you look at the facts. Just read Freestone's second book. I don't think Thor was a fan of hers and I'm certainly not. Joe, Jim and Freestone weren't either by the end of things.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lemme just hop on here and clarify before it gets weird (Lord, nobody has time fo' that!): I don't mean for this to become a Mary slag fest LOL. I didn't know her personally so im just going off books and interviews (as I said).

Just curious to see what Ms LEEN got from it at the time!

Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 387 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read Jim's book, Jim wasn't said that in his book.

I think Jim was a very good and modest man and he didn't want to impose his presence but he wanted that your group of friends to spend as much more time alone with Freddie.
Maybe I'm not in right, but I think so.

Question(s) for both of you.
Thor and Lee,when would you get a chance to make a documentary about Freddie what would be the name of the documentary and who would you invite to talk about Freddie?
And if you really would be publish a book about friendship with him, what would be the title of that book and what would be the cover of it , some photo, drawing or something else?
Thanks.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 193 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Thanks for your responses....That must have been a sight with Freddie standing up through the sun-roof with outstretched arms. Hope you snapped a picture of that!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Noorie
I sent u a pm

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, check your pm-s please. :)

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, check your pm-s please. :)

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wanted to add 1 thing. Somebody (sorry, I've forgotten who) mentioned they'd love to see some of Freddie's original art work. Well, a lot of it was displayed at the Stormtroopers in Stilettos Exhibition held in 2011. Here is a link to the article and some of the pictures: https://queenvinyls.com/pictures/stormtroopers-in-stilettos-the-london-exhibition/

I loove Freddie's words on the front window - "Let's face it darlings, we're the most preposterous band that's ever lived" Sooo Freddie!

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, just to see all your photographs in a book would be most awesome! And yours and Thor's anecdotes about each photograph would be the icing on the cake.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry all. I didn’t mean to start a riot about John Murphy. I mid understood how it was stated. Also what I meant by Jim took the photo in the back of the bus lounge, I meant he might have snapped the shot. I’ll be more careful.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 17, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MIS understood how the comment was stated.