Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Apr 19, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pardon the "??" I guess queenzone doesn't support emojis!

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 19, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I PM You about my group check your inbox.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 19, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear The Squirrelly One, thank you for your insights. I love getting the info. What I would give to be in the presence of Freddie. To stand on the sidelines and witness his glory. The man was so far beyond this realm. Yes, he was mortal, but the universe holds him now. His spirit is with us as we discuss his life. Beauty and talent never die.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don’t personally know Mary, Brian, Roger, Jim B., Phoebe, or Jacky…I didn’t know Jim H., Joe, or Paul P. either. I have never spoken to nor communicated with any of them. In fact, I don’t even know people who know them... but I suspect it's that way with many of the fans who post here. I am simply someone who is fascinated by Freddie, the private man and the mega star, and as a result, I am interested in all the people who were in his orbit. There are several posters on this thread who have connections to those above mentioned people. I appreciate the info from those “in the know” as well as those on the outside who weigh in with their own perspectives. Although I do not agree with everything I read, I do like to hear multiple points of view. Thanks everyone!

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, good point .

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Squirrely One! It's been a long time since we've seen you. Thanks for poking your head in again, and I hope you'll stop by more often.

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could anyone clarify a few points regarding Freddie's schooling?

When Freddie went away to St. Peter's boarding school, did he really make the long journey there by himself from Zanzibar or was he accompanied? In “Freddie Mercury: The Untold Story” they said it took 8 weeks before he arrived in Bombay, and they showed him traveling alone. I just can’t imagine an 8 year old safely traveling for 8 weeks by himself and navigating the transfers from a ship, to a taxi, to a train. Was there someone in India, maybe a relative, to help him with at least the Indian portion of his trip once he arrived? I always thought Freddie went from attending an elementary school in Zanzibar to boarding at St. Peter's, but I've also read/heard he attended school in Bombay before he went to St. Peter's.

I realize Freddie would not have been able to travel home during holidays, that he spent time with his aunt, but did he at least go home during summer vacations? If not, that means Freddie sometimes went years without seeing his parents and sister.

Did Freddie leave St. Peter's after his junior year (11th grade) and then finish his senior year in Zanzibar, or possibly Bombay…or did he not graduate high school in either of those places and that is why he needed to take courses at Isleworth Polytechnic when he got to London? Has anyone seen a copy of his high school or college diploma?

Besides the documentaries I have watched on YouTube, I have not read any Freddie biographies except for Peter Freestone’s…and that only covers the years he was with Freddie. For some reason, the school years are very murky to me. Thanks again for any info.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I watched Villiers live about Freddie's parents the other day and it answered all those questions actually. I think I remember her saying he definitely travelled alone and left school early.

Villiers WHEN WILL IT BE ON YOUTUBE HUH lol

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Dustin I made an account for Instagram.com just to listen to Villiers live talk and I did catch about 10 minutes of the parent chat. She is a pleasure to talk to here and very informed it seems. Does she usually put them on YouTube.com? I would like to listen to the rest. Not even Jim could say much about Mr.Mercury's school days. I get the feeling he was a man who looked forward and never back..

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Finding the discussion tonight rather intriguing about Jim Beach - Queen "family", and Jacky ( I had to Google her - sorry - still learning)

Never even considered they would find a book that contained Freddie with his friends bad for the Queen brand. Is that the correct take away or am I missing something?

I am impressed that Viiliers stood her ground. I would have liked to have been lurking on that conversation.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut - I checked into the book The Mercury Man -by Mary Howis _ the reviews are brutal. But again - my curiosity may get the best of me. Someone in the reviews thought this was a book by Mary Austin - boy were they way off!!

The whole channeling Freddie thing is bizarre. To think she has an entire book of communication from the dead is beyond me.

shananana user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just read all pages of this topic, and sad that the last 40 pages or so are just mary-bashing. That is extremely sad because everbody claims to be a Freddie fan yet they bash somebody Freddie loved. Even if she was his beard, she was someone he loved and trusted.
SHE WAS ONLY PERSON HE TRUSTED WITH HIS ASH. Not any other person.
Think about that.

Freddie was gay, and Jim was good man. But so was Mary - to FREDDIE. That is only matter to make Freddie fans happy she was in his life. They love and trust each other.
Don't bash Jim and DON'T bash Mary. Freddie very lucky to have TWO people who love him so much.
Gay bashing and straight bashing are both bad.

Please love Freddie for his music, his voice, his personality, his beauty. We don't have to care who he sleep with. Not OUR business.
This site is no longer good to read.

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,I'm gonna try and say this without losing my temper but Queen have been covering Freddie's sexuality more than he did for years that's why the film was portrayed with him flirting with female company most of the time they thought it would ruin queen I dont think It would've Freddie was such a powerful lead man that they could never replace him and they knew it.They are meaning queen production team are very pleased with themselves with that film and how the young audience today has received it.So little do they know our kids today could care less if Freddie was gay or straight we all could learn a lesson from this generation.They dont want the book out because it discredits his straight image projected in the film to fit what society thinks is appropriate for queens version of leave it to beaver.Thats all I can say about that .I sound like forest gump ha ha.

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, That talking to the dead stuff freaks me out.

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops...thanks Dustin. I did not see Villiers latest live Q&A and did not realize this topic had been covered. I look forward to it being posted on YouTube.

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you have a problem with someone who saw firsthand how Mary acted towards the people Mr.Mercury cared about maybe you need to reevaluate some things. What a hypocritical thing to say. You can't stand to see her get "bashed" but make no excuse for her acrions that bashed the people who took care of the man. Everyone who saw the inside of the garden lodge at the end of his life had the same things to say about her. Perhaps she just wasn't a very pleasant woman. That's nobody's fault but her own.

Jim said Mr.Mercury had her swear not to tell anyone where his remains were when they broke up. Should anything happen to me this is what I want you to do. While getting so upset over an honest recount of Ms.Austin did you bother reading about her admitting to not taking care of ashes and leaving them at the crematorium for months? How about getting upset over something valid.

Cheers.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not all all dramatic. Very sincere, honest, a totally natural feelings.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm looking forward to Villiers latest being posted on YouTube too. This is a subject I know little about and I'm always anxious to learn more.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....so guilting him into taking care of her and doing what she wanted was her being "good" to him? You uh, sure about that? Are you sure her not nursing him at the end of his life but showing up to make sure the paperwork was in order was uh, in his best interests? Was being possessive over him and intolerant of his lovers really what was good for the guy? Whoops lol.

Why did he keep Mary around if she was so negative? Remember that time he promised to Mary her and then turned out to be gay? Lol yeah guilt is a hell of a force. Remember that time Peter Freestome said Mary didn't know Freddie? About how he hid stuff from her because she wouldn't get it?

Let's not all act like it was a healthy relationship or that she really cared about him in a truly selfless way.

Anyone remember her saying at Freddie's funeral "I won in the end"? Hmm...yeah that's a totally normal thing for a loving bestie to say at your service lol

Posted: 08 Apr 19, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM, That ashes thing gets me too I dont believe he told her not to tell his mother that was cruel she lost her son.She shoudve known that was selfish.I heard his sister doesnt care for her either if she doesnt cant blame her.She is mean to the fans let them write on garden lodge for years and 20 years later changes her mind .Bitter woman.