Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 135 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling - You are so right about this group. It's nice communicating with people all over the world with shared interests. I have learned so much and not just about Freddie. I remember years ago trying to find "penpals" for my students across the states as well as in different countries. Now I'm sitting here in the comfort of my own home sending out a message going to who knows where!! :)

doughnut - Loved hearing about your mother's day present. My family too - thinks I've "gone slightly mad" as everything is about Freddie and Queen for me right now, too.

I now have adopted you as my Queen family!!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 954 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awe that's sweet doughnut is a real sweet heart easy to get along with.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 489 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, is the Hot Space Tour Funko figure you talked about wearing the silver glitter leotard? I haven't seen that one yet, and that's my favorite early Freddie costume. I looked on Amazon but they don't have it and couldn't find it on Google either.

Interesting discussion on accents! Some people love men in uniforms, I like men with accents! Loved Jim's Irish accent, and I could listen to Mack forever. Freddie's was lovely. The Peppa Pig cartoon is very popular in the US and as a result some young children have picked up that accent. I once asked my granddaughter to clean up a mess she'd made and she said, "I simply cahn't" I lived in New Jersey for a long time, but don't have the accent, same with living in Buffalo, NY. One year in Louisiana didn't affect me much once we moved out. True Cajun accents in Louisiana can be difficult to understand. I think I'm kind of generic. I do have a few regional words that can get in my way. For example when we first moved here I asked someone for a diet soda, and they asked me if I meant soda water. I've learned that in the Midwest, it's not soda, it's pop. I find regional accents, food, customs, etc. so interesting.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers that's a classic low wifi situation. If your followers could hear you fine but Lee couldn't then it's his wifi that was not stable enough at the time. Assuming the app is updated in his phone that is.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@FreddieDarling, I truly appreciate the time you took to explain the UK educational system. I'm an American. Thanks for schooling me - and others - on my erroneous use of “British accent.” I wasn’t at all offended by your accent “lecture.” I always stand to be corrected. It was interesting and I learned from it. Yes, I agree that Freddie was a bloody genius. I do love how the British use the word "bloody!"

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey everyone. I've been lurking and wow so much action here on Queenzone!! For the most part great stuff - thank you Thor for stepping in (twice!) with your gentle reminder for mutual respect.

I do hope Shaun returns - I loved reading his comments and first hand stories. I am a big Jim fan. I loved his book and he seems like he was such a straight up honest loving man.

I am ridiculously excited for Thor and Lee on Villiars live!!!! I missed the one with his parents so also excited that will be posted on her YouTube page. And this is the first I heard of Villiars and Jackie having it out...YOU GO GIRL!!!

koala I loved your post where you really opened up - beautiful and thank you.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That IS really weird about the ashes. There is no way in hell I wouldn't pick up my loved one's ashes immediately! I have often wondered why he entrusted her and only her with them and where he wanted them to go. Being guilt driven is one thing, but to not have his own family know?? And JIm? Phoebe? I just don't understand that final wish I must say. I'm sure he had his reasons though, I hope they are in Lake Geneva by the statue

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that 50 Shades of Freddie page would be fun too - IT FREAKED ME OUT completely! Ewwww not for me - I couldn't unfollow/unjoin it fast enough!

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 537 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Villiers2. No the Funko Pop figure I mentioned sadly doesn't have the silver glittery leotard (or Nijinsky costume as Freddie liked to call it) I don't know why the employ the words glitter and diamond in the description!

It's shirtless Freddie (down girls !!)in white 'tights' with red sash belt. It's from the shirt hair moustached Freddie era, Works/Hot space tour. Nice, but bloody expensive at the moment, I'm hoping when the movie hype calmsca little, the prices will fall to less prohibitive levels.

Hey, we Brits call fizzy drinks "pop"-, too. Interesting ! Didn't know they do in the Midwest, too. Yep, soda to us is soda water!

Hope you sorted out your connection buddies with Lee.

I'm looking forward to downloading all the chats you gave uploaded (I have the Bo Rhap myth busting, and Jim chat) as with the time differences, and not usually getting notification as, I usually miss them) I love your chats, and your knowledge in in depth.

Glad I didn't seem to anyone with my accent "lecture". Never seen Peppa Pig. Now I'm going to have to catch a bit of it, as I'm curious now.

Doughnut, my dear describe your Freddie keyring to us.

I'm a devil for searching in eBay for Freddie related items. I spend far too much on my hobby +(though not to the extent of debt) It's so lovely to have some nice post (the "mail" to our American friends :-). )to look forward to.

I even have a fleece throw covered in images of Freddie. It's Lovely. Tad expensive at about £22.50 but I do enjoy my"Freddie Hug"

Emcee, re the UK education system explanation, you're welcome. Strange how different countries work out their different systems, isn't it. To add yet another differential into the pot, our degree courses in UK universities usually take 3 yeaes to complete, not 4. We're a fast paced bunch! LOL!

Well th..the..that's all folks! Fir the moment, anyway.

Have a great mid-week, peeps! Tomorrow is Thor's Day! ...Sorry Thursday! Good old Woden has his turn today!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I couldn't even find the 50 Shades if Freddie Mercury page when I Googled it!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm hoping this works. This is the Shirtless Freddie Funko Pop figure. Love his chest!

Attachment: 2019410822959691.png 144 KB
This has been downloaded 41 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm an idiot! It was Katydyd who asked about the Freddie Funko figure , not Villiers. My apologies! If to err is human, then I am VERY human! Hope you will all be *divine" and forgive me. :-)

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emdee.... I was very very happy with my Freddie keyring. It is Freddie from the magic tour in the yellow jacket and he has a microphone in his hand. It looks to be made of lego.

I fully indulge my queen/freddie love on Monday's as my girls are at school and my other half at work. This is the only day that I do not work; I like to watch the magic tour and Live at the Bowl . Freddie is on fire during 'live at the bowl'. I understand Freddie had been bitten on the hand by Bill Reid before this one. Understanding Freddie via Peter Freestone I imagine this really fired up Freddie which may have prompted the fab show, not that all of his shows weren't fab as they were. If I had a time machine I would go back to Wembley in 1986 and the Wham Final as I did like a bit of Wham.

Freddiedarling...... I can find out where it was purchased from although I suspect it's either Amazon or E Bay.

Cheyman thanks you for your kind words. I do try to get along with everyone no matter where you are from or what your background is. You made me smile when you said you like the English/British accent, of which there are many variations.

Hello NotQuiteAShilling , I lurked on this thread for ages before I plucked up the courage to post. I was scared of being trolled. Ha ha I love you peaked at Fifty Shades or Freddie too. I'm no prude but the thought how acting out sexual fantasies online with strangers is weird to me. Not least there are a lot of nutters in the world...yuk. I am more than happy with my large cardboard cut out of Freddie in his tiny white shorts ....;) ;) ;);) looooolllll.

Freddiedarling have you found it yet, if not I can send you the link lol . Also I am right that in Birmingham you call fizzy drinks 'pop'? I just call it 'fizzy' lol

Someone said about the use of the word 'bloody'. Funnily enough I don't use it that much. Sadly I'm more of a Freddie and sometimes use the 'F' word.

Thor and lee hello, we miss you :)

From the posts the other day it is clear that some of your knew Jim Hutton and I was wondering if you would be willing to share any tales with us. Perhaps something so that we can try and get to know a bit more about him. Did he ever talk to you about Joe as we know so little about him and he appeared to be very loyal towards Freddie. Thor/Lee did you know Joe well from your visits ?

I have read an interview online with the guy that played Jim in the film and he said during his research no one had a bad word to say about Jim and that he was a good influence on Freddie.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of Joe was he a good cook I always seen pics of him in the kitchen.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad the guy that played Jim had those positive words to say about him.I would like to talk to someone that really knew him.He always had those angry looking eyes but I'm sure he wasnt it's just the way his eyes were.I didnt know one of Freddie's boyfriends bit him .That was a relationship to let go of for sure.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut those white shorts are too much honey.I dont think he was wearing underwear my and that red bandana it's all for you boys.And that ass was perfect it's a good thing he didnt bend over or they weren't any shorter or you could see the Male anatomy.Thats all I'm saying.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, thanks for the picture of the Hot Space figure. I was hoping for glitter, but that one is cute. I think I might eventually get one...…….or more......of the figures. Just a fun thing to have around.

NotQuiteAShilling, nice to see you again! It feels like it has been a while. You always have interesting posts!

Ok, now I can't remember who it was who said they shopped Ebay for Freddie items. Doughnut?? Have you ever looked at Etsy? They have tons of stuff. It's so tempting to add to my collection. I think I have four mugs, and there's another one I want, but I seriously can't justify it. I also like some of the canvas prints. I have a black and white canvas of him in this room wearing the shorts and suspenders. If any of you are familiar with Zulilly, the online shopping site, the canvas print just popped up there one day and I had to have it.

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, it was FreddieDarling who searches eBay for Freddie things. Sorry about that! I don't like to be the start of a new page because I have to rely on my memory if I'm replying to someone and that's never a good plan.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I wouldn't have a problem in seeing Freddie's "male anatomy" ! And apparently there was QUITE a bit to see! ;-) Yes, he did have a very sweet tuchas. Very .... pert! Freddie's physique was lovely, IMO. I like a slender man with a bit of body foliage. I'm not a fan of the modern fad of "man-scaping". I even find his little stripe of hair between his shoulder blades endearing! :-)

Don't worry, Doughnut, I sometimes use to "f" word,too. But NOT the "see you next Tuesday" word! Me no likey that word! I do use bloody a lot, though.

Well Joe Fanelli must have been a pretty damn good cook! He worked for some if the best restaurants in London. Provan"s being one of them. Apparently he gave up on a lot of the "chefing" when he became poorly with AIDS and Fabulous Phoebe took on the mantle. He seems to have been pretty good at cooking, too!

Thank you, Doughnut, but I already treated myself to a Freddie Lego figure. Mine isn't a key ring, though. I do have a Freddie keyring. It's an outline of Freddie fist raised, jacket flying, bearing a guitar. It's cut from stainless steel. I think they must have been We Will Rock You merchandise.

Bye folks

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydyd5.
No I haven't used Etsy to buy from yet, though I have browsed and I think one of my sister's has used it.

Do they use PayPal?

Had my Freddie "Schroeder" Peanuts T Shirt arrive today! It's lovely!

And my stick insects have been sent out! I love stickies!