Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, NotQuiteAShilling for that link. I will check it out with baited breath and a bath tub of ice in readiness! LOL

Nice to see Shaun still in contact. I hope he pipes in whenever he can. Love his contributions.

Thank you all for accepting my admittedly quirky sense of humour! Some people find it hard to fathom, but asking me not to express it is like asking someone not to scratch an itch! Very difficult! .:-)

Yes, Doughnut, I too get a seriously dangerous case if the sniggers at Fanny Pack! When I first heard it I thought I was going mad, and actually went through the process of twirling a finger in my ear to check if I'd miss heard! LOL!

As the old saying goes Britain and America divided by a common language!

Mind you, in the West Midlands we share a trait which seems unique England. We call our Mothers "Mom". In most if the UK it seems to none "Mum" ! I'm pretty sure that !isn't of the US.A.you call your mother's Mom ?!

Yes, Freddie's "chest wig" is a thing of beauty as is the line of hair leading south. The Treasure Trail as it's popularly named! :-)

Yet again.I missed a Villiers chat! Damn! Will look forward to seeing it on YouTube!

Hope you are both in good health and spirits, Thor and Lee!

Hope we all had a good day. I'm you yawning my head off. Sign of decrepitude!

Bye for now, peeps!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW in my experience, eBay goodies are usually quick to arrive , but it is entirely dependent on the seller and their speed of dispatch and method of amiling.

Even good from China rarely take longer than 4 weeks from China to England.

And yes, The Virtuoso In the Closet books are fabulous and a really sensitively treated way if treating a fictionalised version of what must gave been a very difficult, exciting, yet fraught pick stood if Freddie's) George's life.

I look forward to the next installment!

I'm lucky enough to have bought a copy of the first run of copieof Peter Freestone's Freddie book which was at the time titled Mr. Mercury : An Appreciation. It actually shows the Matisse picture which Freddie quickly dud firms both Peter and Joe! Bless!

Love Peter's genuine love and admiration for our lovely Freddie.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I ended up buying Phoebe's book through the Amazon UK site since the U.S. Site has it for a gazillion dollars from 3rd party sellers that would likely take my money and send me a box of cat food. It will take a while to arrive, no doubt, but I really want to read the real deal. I was one of the idiots who bought a number of "bogus" biographies from parasites before I found this forum and learned who was trustworthy. I left reviews for the tabloid crap that will hopefully let others know to skip those books.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey. The Black Queen's Kid, most of us have been there, fpdinecthat )0(and in my case bought the t shirt !): Freddie's name attached to anything I'd like a Hot Button To Buy trigger to me. It's hard wired into my DNA ("hey, hey, hey hey.., it was the D.N.A. !")

I think most of us true fans after a short length of dedicated time learn to separate the wheat from the chaff regarding Freddie facts from folklore and fiction! I often read so called official facts and scoff at them , whilst rolling my eyes dramatically!

Peter Freestone and Davis Evans and Minns as well and (in the most part) Jim Hutton.s books are, for me, the most reliable.

I quite like Mark Blake as a Queen biographer.

NotQuiteAShiling, my 50 Shades subscription is "pending"! They are seeing if I'm "adult" enough to join their group. When they discover how childish I am, they'll probably rescind their consideration! LOL!

Bought another Freddie pin tonight's! Freddie doffing his Magic Tour Crown !

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW does anyone else find Freddie's dimples tonbecthe CUTEST things?

FreddieDarling

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Read a previous message from me! What utter gobbledygook! I I apologize! I must hire a proof reader!

It sounds like barely legible nonesence!

Damn it to hell in a hand basket! Grrrrrrr!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie, just say you were in the Stoli again. Several shots of vodka excuses most things. *smooches*

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Black Queen's kid - that is exactly why I used Ebay - it was $35 where is was $HUNDREDS on Amazon. So worth the wait. And yes I've been suckered too - got an autographed photo of Freddie that has been OFFICIALLY VERIFIED and AUTHENTICATED as a copy of his signature LOLOLOLOL

I'm glad you left comments for the crap books!

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's really tough when you work all day and when you get to the forum - you find yourself 4 pages behind.

First - didn't realize this might be bad for my credit card. Etsy,eBay,zulily - all places I have been before - but haven't yet searched for Freddie items. Could be costly -yikes!!

Disappointed I didn't get to hear the live with Thor and Lee - times don't always match my availability. Would have loved to hear the voices that go along with the faces. I see a lot of comments about how good they look - jealous to all who got to see them.

Really enjoying the Freddie fantasies. Amazing what we see in him - can't disagree with anyone!!

Pop, mom, pants - all a part of my vocabulary. Glad to see some things are universal.

The British invasion of the 60's (yes showing my age) made me fall in love with the Brits and their adorable "accents". (Hope no one offended by the word adorable) My dream has always been to visit London. Probably never happen - but I can dream.
Downton Abbey and The Crown - some of my favorite TV shows.

SM - glad you are still around

Lee and Thor - do you still need donations on the gofundme account?

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I purchased both of Peter Freestone's books on Amazon and got the ebook versions. Both were quick reads. In addition I read Peter "Ratty" Hince's ebook, Jim Hutton's ebook, and still have David Evans/David Minn's ebook to read.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just purchased Virtuoso in the Closet for the kindle - good price - looking forward to reading it.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are ALL so endearing!!! Like 'em'....i had many pages to catch up on following a busy hump-day at work!!! But reading your commentaries helps me unwind from a hectic work enviornment.....so I Thank You All for that!! (pun intended)
The banter on idioms, colloquialisms, vernacular, and/or verbal expressions (since we have a Few teachers on this site...you will be able to identify which term fits the best here!!!)....has always fascinated me. In the local area where I reside ....we call the food store...the Grocery store....ie on fridays I go shopping for groceries. I've had friends from northern states call it the 'food store' or even supermarket. We call carbonated beverages soda...but many 'northerners' here say Pop.
I, also, am a lover of English, Australian, Irish and Scottish brogues. I am of Welsh/Irish heritage....so maybe that's why I adore them so!!?? Lol
I also adore a dry, sarcastic, self-depreciating wit!! British comedies do this soooo well!!!!!
Freddie's humor had this....in spades!!! And while I DO like to listen to Roger and Brian in interviews.. ..it's 100% more enjoyable and soothing to listen to Freddie's voice, tenor, cadence and even the sibilant pronunciations that his overbite created! I have listened to his interviews on YT OODLES of times....but my absolute favorite way to listen to him is with my ear buds in, volume turned on high ......i literally close my eyes and drift off to a place that resembles, physically and mentally the same place meditation takes me!!!! .....i realize that sounds weird....but for me, it's true!!!!

One morning a few months ago, I woke up with one of the worst headaches I have ever had! I popped a few Tylenol, but HAD to go to work with this monster on my head. I was sensitive to light and sound, my head pounding.....i couldn't even watch my regular morning news show. However, I got in my car made my way to work.....my head was aching so bad that all I wanted to do was get to work and get the day over with so I could go back to bed and nurse my throbbing skull. I was waiting at a red light that was taking forever to change when I reached over to my audio unit's volume button and Blasted my Freddie CD. It was the song...'Don't try so Hard' (which is a new discovery for me...AND my new mantra!!!). I completed my ride with Freddie's music turned to full volume!! It doesnt make any sense to me as i was sooo light and sound sensitive...but 15 mins later I pulled into my office...and Viola!....my head was becoming manageable. ...You may think to yourself that it was the Tylenol, and maybe it was(Tylenol, for me, usually takes quite a while to start working)....but to me it was some Medicinal effect of Freddie's voice!!!!!!!!! For some unknown reason.......the sound of Freddie's voice Centers me. If I could......i would love to watch brain scans while Freddie's/Queen music is being played.....including soft volume contrasted with FULL volume!!! I suspect that some significant areas of the brain may Light Up like an inferno!!!!
Anyone else experience a Medicinal Effect from Mr Mercury?????

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverTooLate, the Minns/Evans book is one of my favorites. I think you will enjoy it.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Katydyd! So far I've enjoyed each of the books I've read, although Jim Hutton's book ranks in the top spot for me right now. I'm looking forward to starting the Davids' book. Each one feels like a present and I start to get sad when I near the end because of course the end never changes and it can only be a short visit to the past.

On a completely different note, just watched a Queen documentary I hadn't seen before called "They Will Rock You" 1984, a combo of interviews from the band members interspersed with concert footage and video footage. From one or more shows in Paris I believe as there are french subtitles. This was right after they came out of a break where they worked on individual projects.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BlenkoLove - that is amazing!! I think they did a study recently that showed that people listening to Don't Stop Me Now lit up in the "happy center" of the brain. Don't Try So Hard is my mantra too! Trying to break down those nasty self imposed over achiever tendencies. Isn't that song just so incredibly beautiful??

SM - so happy to see you back on here. I hope you give us another chance...

Villiers - you are a goddess! I'm so bummed I missed today's live, but you are my hero for getting everything working so that very soon we can all "meet" Thor and Lee "in person"!

Freddie Darling - Treasure Trail. Path to Paradise. Potato Patatah LOL

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just got home after my second flat tire. One tire (only six months old) blew out on Saturday on the way to Lees house. It took 3 hours and four phone calls to finally get the emergency assistance company to get the tire changed. I would have done it myself but I was stuck in what is called the most windy corridor in all of Palm Springs on a gravel road shoulder and leaning into a slight angle. Today, after driving 120 miles from Lee's and 10 miles from my house, the second six month old tire blew out. I could not believe my BAD luck. I had my car towed from the highway and deposited right at the front door of the Goodyear Tire store where I had bought both of these tires. They will get a few choice words from me tomorrow.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverTooLate wrote:

I purchased both of Peter Freestone's books on Amazon and got the ebook versions. Both were quick reads. In addition I read Peter "Ratty" Hince's ebook, Jim Hutton's ebook, and still have David Evans/David Minn's ebook to read.

Hi NeverTooLate,

I read them all and enjoyed all the different perspectives. Although Ratty Hines book was based on roadie life, I found myself laughing the whole way thru. Ratty is funny, and he does give funny Queen memories, but Rattys own memories are just as funny.

Now David Minns book was another story. You can sense the love there, yet bitterness at the same time.
Great books.

Enjoy!

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Just got home after my second flat tire. One tire (only six months old) blew out on Saturday on the way to Lees house. It took 3 hours and four phone calls to finally get the emergency assistance company to get the tire changed. I would have done it myself but I was stuck in what is called the most windy corridor in all of Palm Springs on a gravel road shoulder and leaning into a slight angle. Today, after driving 120 miles from Lee's and 10 miles from my house, the second six month old tire blew out. I could not believe my BAD luck. I had my car towed from the highway and deposited right at the front door of the Goodyear Tire store where I had bought both of these tires. They will get a few choice words from me tomorrow.

Oh Thor, I feel for ya buddy. I used to work in a corporate office with maybe 3,000 employees. The company had an employee discount for the tire place 1/4 up the road.

Every week or month I got a flat, whether old tire or new tire replaced due to the flat. This went on for a couple years. I finally, after “Going Slightly Mad” came to the conclusion I was a tire-slasher in a past life and now getting a comeuppance.

Come to find out the tire place (after hours) were sprinkling screws in our parking lots all along as well on the main road that we pulled out the lot from.
Work finally activated video and found the culprit.

Not saying that’s what’s happening to you, but its such a drag, waste of time and money, and how you feel.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, that's too bad! I'm glad you eventually made it home safely. I hope you have a warranty on those tires. Pour yourself a tall one and go to bed early. You seem to be a generally laid-back man, but when you DO get mad . . . . . Give Goodyear hell tomorrow!

I'll save my post and question for another night!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 19, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Lsgp03 for empathizing with me and thank you Jo T. for your great medical treatment suggestion
I will raise my glass to you!...well, maybe one time for each of you...LOL