Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut , I was born In june doughnut that was a great year as I remember it.Yes those idiot reporters were camping out and even flashed pics of Freddie's parents as they came to their sons house after he passed things were hard enough for them without the unwanted hounding of these disrespectful people.It shows you what kind of morals our countries have even back in 1991.Everyone was so upset they couldnt even mourn without having to go on television to defend Freddie about terrible gossip that was going around after his death.And that article written about Freddie saying those terrible things about him and Aids and punishment I hope his parents never read that.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddiedarling love your stickie

Someone watched an old concert the other day 'we rock the world' . Could you share the link :) sorry I can't remember who it was :)

Lee/Thor tell us something fun about Freddie :)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone remember the Don Henley song Dirty Laundry? It talks about the press and is so good:

"We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry..."

Someone posted the hard to watch video of Roger and Brian on a British morning show one week after Freddie died recently. I had this song going through my head the entire time as I watched it! How the HECK did they think it was appropriate to have some idiot magician on with them who was making inappropriate snarky comments??? What were they thinking?? A legend, an ICON has just left this world and you are interviewing 2 of his band mates and friends - hey let's have a magician join the discussion...HUH????

My turn at the soapbox LOL. Next?....

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Live-Aid-Zandra-Rhodes-Freddie-Mercury-Brian-May-Handmade-Bracelet-OOAK/264272525723?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57152&meid=3b850976d07d4d998dbc0f597ac57f18&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=283442262710&itm=264272525723&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&redirect=mobile

Don't you all LOVE this charm bracelet?! I think I'd call it a charism bracelet as it has _2_Freddies! .

I adore Freddie! He is the icing on my cake! Bless his Persian soul!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*charisma

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No I don't recall the song, but the lyrics are very apt!

Yes, having Paul Daniels on the same interview session as Roger and Brian 10 days after they lost their dear friend was callous, thoughtless, and lacking in taste. He showed no respect or compassion about the loss if Freddie. I'm surprised that Roger held it together and didn't storm off.

I though that they were very courageous to go and do that interview so shortly after they lost Freddie. Roger looked on the verge of tears.

The interviewer was confrontational and rude and blatantly homophobic. Wouldn't get away with it nowadays.

OK the Soap Box is vacant again.....

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone! I have been here for quite a while honestly (this time around), just reading and trying to catch up with everything. I'd get there and then a few days later I've fallen behind again! So I'm finally attempting to post and hoping I'll be able to maintain and be part of the conversation.

Queen has been a part of my life for my entire life really. I was born in the 70's and had teenage siblings who were listening and there it began and continues to this day. I was 15 when Freddie passed and I was heartbroken. I know teenagers tend to feel things more dramatically but it really has always been a loss that stuck with me. I also lost my older sister the year before in a very tragic way. And this leads me to what I really love about this particular thread. Every year when it comes to the anniversary of my sister's death people tend to focus so much on how she died. A few years ago, I pleaded, please stop! Tell me stories and memories you've had of her. Talk about her life!

It has been so awesome to have you, Thor and Lee, sharing these stories about Freddie. I am excited for your book and the live with Villers!

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

notquiteashilling ...that magician was Paul Daniels and as Roger has said since 'wanker' lol . I grew up with his magic lol. It was never my cup of tea :)

That interview is a hard watch as you can see how devastated they are. I was just happy to see them tell the world on UK TV Freddie was gay and that the lovely Joe, Peter and Jim had loved after Freddie. Can't ask more than that.

I will google that song :)

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

welcome selkie... I have had a few glasses of wine so I have forgot what you said but we welcome you here and we hope you enjoy your time here.

Freddiedarling that is a fantastic charm bracelet , are you going to buy it ?

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have just gone back and read. I am so sorry to hear about your sister.

I was 18 when Freddie died and although I don't remember it, I do remember him in his famous yellow Magic Tour jacket as my sister is 12 years old than me and loved queen. They must have shown the magic tour on TV at the time as I remember him clearly

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have just gone back and read. I am so sorry to hear about your sister.

I was 18 when Freddie died and although I don't remember it, I do remember him in his famous yellow Magic Tour jacket as my sister is 12 years old than me and loved queen. They must have shown the magic tour on TV at the time as I remember him clearly

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you doughnut! It's funny because I cannot place when I saw the Live Aid performance for the first time. I was 9 years old and I have memories of my family watching, but I don't know if Queen's performance was included in that. I have very clear memories of the Freddie Tribute concert though.

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

selkie I can't watch the tribute concert. I can't bear to see the sadness all these years later and watch other people sing queen songs. However, I have listened to the fab George Michael sing 'somebody to love' . No one else could have sung it better.

I was 13 when Live Aid happened but I remember it. It was such a big event .

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, wine sounds so good I have to watch what I drink because of my meds.I still drink ocassionally though. I definitely dont drink like I used too.I really would like To have some really cold tomato juice and a beer it taste so good.It creeps up on you though.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Selkie... I am sorry that you lost your sister. You have my deepest empathy.

No don't think I'm going to buy the charm bracelet, Doughnut.

I just lost out on a 7" interchangeable face/hands Neca Freddie figure though. Pipped in the final 5 seconds! :-(

Gotta save my money to buy me a Betty Boop t-shirt at my Mercury Tribute Concert on Thursday, anyway. Plus treat my Sis to a curry before the concert. Thursday is Curry Club @Wetherspoons!

Off into Birmingham tomorrow! Gonna buy me an African version of you, my dear Doughnut! :-) Nice warm freshly fried Mandazi! Wonder if Freddie ate mandazi's in Zanzibar! ? The proprietors are from Tanzania.

So tired! Been up since 4:30 a.m. Completely knackered!

Ooh, Brian May is on Midsomer Murders... OK it's only Gwilym Lee!

Think I'm a bit punchy! Does it show?! :-/

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevynan...Oh, God beer and tomato juice sounds like an organic emetic ! :-@

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*ChevyMan.... Bloody typos!

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Selkie, Welcome I agree with you 100% it is so exciting you'll hear all the lovely good times he spent with all his friends since we dont know much history outside London thank you guys for talking with us if it weren't for you the fans wouldnt have the opportunity to take part in this wonderful and intrigueing experience of your stories and memories that you hold so dear to your heart.

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You guys should try it sometime it's really good .Tomato juice just adds a little flavor and salt to the beer.What does bloody typos mean

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 19, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know about anybody else, but those who keep typing until they are forced to start a new line of type are having their messages cut off somewhat. My message box is small and does not allow my sentences to do that.
If I am the only one, no problem, but if it is happening to others as well, may I suggest breaking up long sentences or multiple short sentences so they are sent to the next line.