Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ChevyMan, my money is on koala orgies being the cause of the problem.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@FreddieDarling, how would you classify Brian May’s posh accent? I’m the American who had erroneously referred to Freddie Mercury’s accent as "British accent."

CHEVYMAN, I appreciate the explanation of your background. Poor punctation, spelling and grammar certainly do NOT reflect a lack of character or intelligence. My paternal grandmother was illiterate and never received any formal education. BTW, koalas catch chlamydia like humans – through sexual activity, and mothers can pass to babies during delivery or when the joey feeds off its mother. I second your sentiment about Thor.

Brava, doughnut! You dared to ask Thor a question many of us wondered but never dared to ask. Your persistence paid off. I thought Thor would completely ignore it, but he practically sent a curriculum vitae (CV) of names and dates! LOL

Thor, you crack me up. Should we send pre-qualified applicants your way? I understood what you meant by "good working mastery over masculine traits." You want a gay man - who can change a flat and watches ESPN(+) or a straight man - whose gay.

@emdee0809, the date/time stamp of Queenone reflects Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or Universal Time. It’s the London time zone. QZ is a British Web site. I live in one of the states of the U.S. that falls under the time zone of Eastern Standard Time (EST). GMT is 4 hours ahead of my time. Presently, it’s Fri., 11:58 PM, EST, in my neck of the woods. If I’m correct, QZ shall post a date/time of Sat., 4/13/19, 3:58 AM.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@FreddieDarling, how would you classify Brian May’s posh accent? I’m the American who had erroneously referred to Freddie Mercury’s “British accent.”

CHEVYMAN, I appreciate the explanation of your background. Poor punctation, spelling and grammar certainly do NOT reflect a lack of character or intelligence. My paternal grandmother was illiterate and never received any formal education. She was born and raised in another country, another culture that devalued females. BTW, koalas catch chlamydia like humans – through sexual activity, and mothers can pass to babies during delivery or when the joey feeds off its mother. I second your sentiment about Thor.

Brava, doughnut! You dared to ask Thor a question many of us wondered but never dared to ask. Your persistence paid off. I thought Thor would completely ignore it, but he practically sent a curriculum vitae (CV) of names and dates! LOL

Thor, you crack me up. Should we send pre-qualified applicants your way? I understood what you meant by "good working mastery over masculine traits." You want a gay man - who can change a flat and has ESPN(+) or a straight man - whose gay.

@emdee0809, the date/time stamp of Queenone reflects Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or Universal Time. It’s the London time zone. QZ is a British Web site. I live in one of the states of the U.S. that falls under the time zone of Eastern Standard Time (EST). GMT is 4 hours ahead of my time. Presently, it’s Fri., 11:50 PM, EST, in my neck of the woods. If I’m correct, QZ shall post a date/time of Sat., 4/13/19, 3:50 AM.

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Villiers the version of the David Evans/Minns book to get is the kindle version of This Was the Real Life. David Minns wrote about his relationship with Freddie. This part was published after Minnsy’s death and is only in this version, as of late 2017.

I keep telling myself I’d like to read this book “someday” and if we’re going to have a book club thread, then perhaps that day should be now!

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ChevyMan, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the koalas are very sick. They have a virus called Koala Retrovirus which causes an AIDS-like illness in some percentage of koalas. And no, this is not a joke. This may be why there is so much chlamydia. Yes, they can be given antibiotics in captivity, and there is a vaccine under development. There’s lots of articles on line if you search. But I’m afraid koalas are really in trouble.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jt, The language spoken where I lived was mainly cherokee.I didnt learn to speak English till I was ten.When speaking to my father I still had to address him in the native language.That all changed when I entered middle school I caught up quickly the only thing I really struggled with was my english.When I entered college English composition was hard for me but I passed it.Before I got sick I worked in finance which didnt require me to be much of a grammar scholar.I punched numbers all day for a Toyota car dealership for years.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Black queen, orgies where the hell that come from. I was talking about bears not humans.I hope your not talking about human's and bears.That one was all me what a sick bitch I am.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm really wasted right now folks I shall say no more.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's super late here (almost 1am) so I'll start a dedicated book discussion thread later on Saturday. Time for some ZZzzzzzzz's first.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its 12:30a.m. but I'm wide awake I have had 4 beers,a couple of screw drivers.I almost forgot and a few small jello shots.Then A muscle relaxer , sleeping pill,and pain pill.Im wide awake.Stay up all night sleep all day.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy...you need to be careful...that sounds like a dangerous combination!

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 582 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Morning, folks.... Well, it is here!

Chevyman : Bloody typos is bloody typographical errors! I'm cursing both myself, for not proof reading thoroughly enough, and Google for their flipping second-guessing predictive text, which changes my words into ones I certainly didn't want to use and which have NO correlation to the subject at hand!

Thor : I'm so glad you mentioned the tiny text issue. I though that it was just me. I've been fannying around with the settings in my tablet, all to no avail. I have an eye condition called Keratoconus, so text as tiny as that results in my nose being practically pressed to the screen in order to read it! I'm relieved it's not me, and the issue seems to have resolved itself again now.

Daily Mail and Daily Express keep releasing old archived articles related to Freddie, to use as click-bait for their on-line platform! After the way they all, in the whole, treated this lovely man, they should be made to pay a donation to Mercury Phoenix Trust each time they mention his name!

I'm off to Birmingham soon! Hope everyone has a thoroughly lovely day, whatever you're doing.

P.S. straw poll..... How many of you like Marmite ? (you do know Marmite, right? The meaty tasting yeast extract spread)

I LOVE it! =3

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning you wonderful people :)

I would assume that the tiny text issue appears when someone posts a super long webside-link. A have observed it several times in another threads.

And I would love to join a book-related thread! Actually Freddie kind o forced me to purchase a kindle because there are many books which are available only in electronic form. So after many years of resistence... There you are.

Have a great weekend and enjoy yourselves!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome back Thor…

The tire situation was unfortunate...am glad you didn't get hurt. Three hours to get to you though…what was the AAA guy driving…a Model-T? I had a tire blow out many years ago while returning home on my last day of student- teaching. I was about 10 miles from my house. It was in a semi-rural area but there were a few homes and a business nearby. I ended up getting a ride back to town from a guy driving a flat-bed tractor trailer. Nice man…he drove me right to my street. He was married and had a child with special needs that he talked about with great love. I was truly grateful for his help because he had driven out of his way, so I gave him the rest of the chocolate cake the teacher had made for my going-away party as a way to thank him.

Question: Was there ever a time when you were out with Freddie and the guys and you all noticed and wanted to talk to the same cute guy? How did that work...rock, paper, scissors? LOL.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 582 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've noticed there was QUITE a bit if activity last night, which, in catching up with my zeds, I missed

Going out shortly so I'll be brief with response to what I have seen..

Yes, NotQuiteAShiling (it WAS you wanting to start a book club thread. Wasn't it?) I'd love a link to your thread if you'd PM me, please ? :-)

Jo T. Well I wouldn't really describe Brian May's accent as "posh", certainly he has a quiet, measured, careful speech, but not to extremis. As an example I'll reference the interview in , I think Days If Our Lives documentary where he spoke about contracting hepatitis. He said "I woke up and looked at MESELF, and I was yellow" MESELF is certainly not a word which would lend itself to a "posh" accent. Freddie, probably would ALWAYS say MYSELF.

Picky, but ingrained elocution is generally second nature, if it is learned in the formative years of speech development. It's like handedness, an effort would be needed to alter the normal pattern of usage.

Freddie only seemed to use what I'll losely call "lazy" speech, i.e. not R.P. when he chose to. Especially in singing to add nuance and a softer edge to a word sound, to give the pronunciation more texture, I feel. Also he seemed to have a period where he thought it would be fun so slip a bit of an American flavour into the way he spoke, but predominantly, his speech seemed to fall very strongly into the R.P. category, I suspect because that was drummed into him at St. Peter's school. When we hear Jer, or Kash speak they don't have Freddie's strongly R.P. _non_-accent, so it wasn't learned at home.

That's my take on it, anyway, fir what it's worth. I'm no expert, just a keen observer of humans and all their foibles. :-)

BTW, the origins of the word POSH, is reportedly an acronym, derived from the way the upper classes used to experience sea travel on cruise ships, i.e. the BEST way to experience the views, services etc. It supposedly stood for Port Out Starboard Home. Don't know how true that is, but it's one for the pot!

As my Nan would say of new information learned "another wrinkle, rub it in" (then she's rub her forearm) Bless her. Miss you, Nan!

Have a great day, Peeps.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

morning from the UK

My goodness you were all busy last night/day!! I have read all the comments, very interesting. I can't remember who said what so forgive me please.

I would also like to join in on a book club thread if there is one. I have been thinking about starting a new thread on here so that we don't clog up Thor/Lee's page with chat. I worry they will miss someones question with our chat. Or maybe I could start a thread entitled 'to talk about anything and everything' lol.

I wouldn't say that Brian has a posh accent. I define 'posh' as 'well spoken'. It is all in the pronunciation' ie letters are clearly pronounced. For example the word 'butter'. some when they say it will drop the 'tt' . Try saying it with the 'tt' and without and you will see what I mean.

I guess America is the same as you have different accents in the different parts, some seem stronger than others.

Thor ---i understand you need to be careful what you say on here. Within minutes of you confirming how you viewed Freddie and Jim's together, it had been copied and pasted and shared onto a 'jim' instagram account. I really am in the wrong job, I should be an investigator as I seem to come across things. Will you have to be careful what you say on the 'live chat'?

Oh and Thor I just remembered that I had a little chat with a waitress from your NYC days with Freddie. She said Freddie was so lovely as are you. She said she still has the place mat that Freddie signed for her. You and her e mailed for a while last year.

It was me that asked if there was anyone special in your life, I am just a romantic and with all the talk of Freddie always seeming to be looking for love, I wondered if you were the same as you never mention anyone other than Brandon. BTW I'm sorry to hear things are a bit difficult between you.

I understand your type , in fact, to me Freddie sounds your type and I guess that is why you approached him all those years ago :)

I find I have to use my laptop as my spelling is awful on the kindle. Auto correct is a bloody nightmare and the writing on there is small. I cannot use my i phone to access this group as it says 'not secure'. Apple are pretty hot on security.

Last thing, please don't be offended Thor but after I read your thread on chevyman's grammer etc, I felt a little sad. I never judge a person on their spelling etc on here because you just don't know their circumstances. My daughter has learning difficulties so I do get pretty touchy on this kind of thing. She struggles with grammar and layout because of the wiring of her brain. She can't help it. Sadly she isn't going to pass her GCSE exams , she will have to retake English and Maths at college, which she will attend from September, as that is a Government stipulation. She has up to age 18 to pass them so she may end up retaking and retaking if she doesn't pass.

anyway have a good day

Oh forgot Freddiedarling.....have a great time at the tribute , I'm jealous you are getting a Betty Boo T Shirt.

Oh forgot again , just quickly I have read David Minns/David Evans book and it is a fitting tribute to Freddie. Be prepared as the kindle version has been updated with extra from David Minns and he is very very honest about his relationship with Freddie.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevertoolate......yes please do start a discussion about David Minss/David Evans book .
Thank you , you came up with a great idea as it's clear we have a lot to talk about on the matter :)

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo.T Thank you, I was very brave asking Thor about his love life and I too didn't expect the wonderful response.
I thought you were going to ignore the question Thor, I thought I had offended you by asking. Thank god I don't appear to have ......phew.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut wrote:

Oh forgot again , just quickly I have read David Minns/David Evans book and it is a fitting tribute to Freddie. Be prepared as the kindle version has been updated with extra from David Minns and he is very very honest about his relationship with Freddie.

We should leave discussion about it for the new thread, but anyway, I'm glad you pointed it out because David Minn's part is very insightful and revealing a lot about Freddie's personality in the late 70' s. It just reminded me that he was ... human. I liked it.
This part convinced me that I would definitely love to be Freddie's friend, but not his lover :) I wouldn't have enough patience and understanding for him :)

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mika agree. :)