Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks,

Thank you for the condolences regarding my poor stick insect. It was a tiny baby (nymph) one and sadly, some just don't make it. Probably the initiatial travel to me put stress on the poor thing. The other 5 look healthy at the moment , so fingers crossed! I gave them fresh privet and ivy today and a spray of water. They were reasonably lively (well as lively as anything which spends a good portion of the day imitating a stick gets!) I will try to rear some of their eggs when they start laying

LOL @Spread ! Yes, that might seem a bit..... . improper! But Spread's English is wonderfully understandable, IMO!

Freddie's skin always looked lovely to me. He does have quite an Idanian/ Persian skin tone I feel. Many Arab type people gave a deep olive skin rather than your classic Indian skin tone. (Which also varies a lot)

Anne Ortman, the artist who painted Freddie's cars, reported, in More of The Real Life that she though Freddie had perfect skin.

Hope we all had a great weekend.

Lovely to see Lee again!

Bye , Peeps!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live lobster I bet that was painful.Think about it just think about it.What if someone would put us in some boiling water?Do they die quickly?I hope so.I couldn't look them in the eye or eat them after I boiled them alive.They should just use the ones that are already dead.They probably died of natural causes dont you think.

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about his skin tone because I'm Indian and my skin tone Is a light olive as well .Indians are beautiful to look at.His father on the other hand looked very dark to me.Arabs are alot darker and their skin tones aren't olive to me at all.They almost could pass for a Indian mixed with black heritage.

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenko, They actually put makeup on Freddie in the 70s .I think this made him appear lighter than he actually was.The same reason he dropped his last name and took his stage name.We have to remember immigrants in my ancestors times and probably his too weren"t respected.They definitely weren"t rockstars.He had to protect his career.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Sunday evening to everyone.

Sorry about the strick baby - hope the other 5 will carry on!!

Nice to hear from you Lee - great job catching up with everything!

Quick question - did either of you ever unknowingly do anything to anger or upset Freddie?

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, what a milestone! Congratulations to all of us, but especially Thor and Lee for sticking around for the length of a pretty hefty novel (I’m counting the other two threads as well here).

Lee, thanks for chiming in! We might not get to hear from you that often, but it’s always a treat when you come back. That lobster story made my skin crawl, though. A few years ago I read the fantastic essay “Consider the Lobster” by David Foster Wallace on the subject (available here: http://www.theessayexperiencefall2013.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2013/11/Consider-the-Lobster_david-foster-wallace.pdf), and it completely cured me of any desire to ever try it. Boiling a living being alive for something as trivial as culinary pleasure...no thanks.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that Freddie liked and was concerned about the well-being of animals. Two stories from Jim's book come to mind: one where Freddie was very upset when Jim killed a deformed koi fish with a shovel (instead of doing it humanely with a special poweder), and the other where he was very concerned about the penguins during the I'm Going Slightly Mad video shoot and gave them water.

Freddiedarling, I'm sorry about your stick insect. Losing a pet always sucks.

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, Just think about it being boiled alive.

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry koala It was you that was talking about lobster.I think it's Terrible go boil anything alive.Just eat the dead ones.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, after reading Minsy's excerpt yesterday....i would Never want to be on the Bad side of Mr Mercury!!!

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenko,after reading what? What happened?

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN,
on pg 198 of this thread...Rainbow kindly left a link to Googlebooks..that had a sampling of the Evans-Minns book. It contained an added excerpt from Minns memoirs that was not published before he passed...so it was added to the Evans-Minns book but only on the digital version. It was quite overwhelming for me to digest. Plus...the biggest font I could get...i could barely read...so I had to borrow my husband's 'cheater' glasses in order to see it.

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Blenko

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow that"s crazy!Makes me sick.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2, I heard your latest YouTube upload about Freddie’s parents. It was EXCELLENT! I’ll have to listen to the rest of your uploads and look forward to your upcoming live with Lee and Thor. I like how you present as factual, unbiased and objective. Your opinions always have sound-based rationale. I bet you’re a dynamite in the courtroom! I liked how Jim later accompanied Freddie on his weekly visits to his parents’ house (sans Mary) and how Freddie’s mother, Jer Bulsara, later expressed her appreciation of Jim in Freddie’s life after he had passed. You defended how the parents came from another culture, another religion, another sexual more. I liked your mention of the Egyptian saying. “Speak the name of the dead and they will never die.”

Jo T.

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 04:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, happy bicentennial! I believe when I 1st joined the thread last Jan., it was around the centennial. Time flies.

FreddieDarling, that's too bad about your lost pet.

I have a brain freeze. Why is "spread" considered a rude, improper or impolite word? Is it when it refers to spread of the measles, HIV or chlamydia? I can see it in the pos. light; e.g., spread your wings, spread the joy, spread jelly on toast, point-spread, spread the word, spreadsheet, home spread, etc. Do I need to refer to Urban Dictionary?

Lee or Thor, here are questions that I meant to ask the night of Thor's flat, but I postponed it. It felt wrong @ the time:

Was Freddie scared of the water? Could Freddie swim? When you boys went out to the beach(es) in NY, would he venture into the water? If so, how deep? Would he be totally submerged? IF he swam, what Olympic stroke? Freestyle, fly or breaststroke?

Please don't tell me it's a wait and see, whether or not he ever soaked his head in the Atlantic! LOL

Jo T.

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@spreadwingsgirl, I'm glad to meet another soul who likes John Deacon's "Spread Your Wings." It's in my personal Top 5 of Queen songs, even beating out "Bohemian Rhapsody."

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. .....Hmm, how to put this delicately....... oh, did it I don't think I can!! I think Thor feared the diminutive of "Spread" could be mis-interpretted as in "spread you legs" LOL !!

Thank you for your kind words regarding my stickies. God rest his/her soul. X

Well, several people of Arab descent I know of have similar complexion to Freddie, so I'm going by that. And don't forget, Freddie was a person of Persian/Indian genetics who was living in a temperate climate for most of the time he was in the public eye, so it's possible that, if he was a little more lighter complexion than average and his melanocytes weren't exposed to all that much sunlight, so didn't produce as much protective melanin as people of the same racial/genetic type living in a less temperate climate exposed to higher UV levels. Just a thought to throw in.

I love that Freddie was so distraught over the lobsters. I know that they have to be cooked from alive, to prevent food poisoning, as shell fish goes "off" terribly easy, but not slaughtering something before killing it doesn't sit well with me, either.

I understand they have a rather peculiar, complicated nervous system which makes a quick dispatch by a method such as say, pithing, very difficult. What I say though is that if we can't slaughter something humanely before cooking it then we shouldn't eat it! If it were a mammal most people would throw a hissy fit at the thought!

...hopping off the soap box again!

Have a good Monday, folks.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

did it should have read "sod it" Honestly! Predictive text! :-/

Tammienorrie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ufff... I finished reading all this "War and Peace" virtual tome. So... Hi!