Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Spreadwingsgirl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, Thor, I'm afraid I'll disappoint you, but I'm a woman. I had another name for my Queenzone registration, but it was already accepted and I had to think of something else quickly – so I joined the words of two of my favorite Queen songs, Spread Your Wings and Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy (that was the first thing I thought). I thought it was a nice sentence and I wasn't even wondering if it was saying anything about my gender - it didn't even matter to me. But in order not to be confusing, I changed my nickname (Spreadwingsgirl). Otherwise, "Spread" is fine. Or "Wings"? LOL

The Black Queen's Kid – thank you for your recommendation!

I asked about Freddie/Queen books because I was wondering if Thor and Lee saw some of them as false or if, for example, they think that some books shows Freddie in a completely different way than they knew him. Also, it must be interesting to read about yourself in the book.

Last week I read Peter Hince book and I was amused by how he describes Thor and his friends:

„There were often gay hangers-on, including a bunch of leather-clad, moustached clones from New York that we dubbed 'The Pink Angels'. They sported their stick-on Access-All-Areas passes on the back pocket of very tight jeans. 'The Pink Angels' were led by a chap named Thor – and no doubt he was. Wasn't Thor the Norse god of thunder? Thor and his clan certainly caused a bit of a commotion backstage…“ LOL

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tammienorrie..welcome and don't worry about your english, I am sure you will be fine.

JO.T Yep FreddieDarling's explanation of 'spread' is pretty spot on lol .

I too can imagne Freddie's fact at seeing the live Lobster.....still I see he was happy to eat it once cooked lol

Lee...basically someone shared a very good article on a FB group I am in about aids and the tragedy it caused. someone pointed out that this was omitted from the film which I can understand as it was made as a tribute to Freddie and as you said a hollywood film and not a documentary of exact real life events as such. It then went on to Paul Prenter and I tried to explain that although he sold Freddie out which was very wrong, the film did portray him as the villian and I personally feel it was exaggerated somewhat. My feelings are Freddie was a grown man and could make his own choices and I don't feel it's fair to blame Paul completely for Freddie's lifestyle. Also you are Thor or both of you, said that in the time you knew him he was a nice guy.

So because of all this she said I had disrespected the band and would not take on board anything other than the film is wonderful she wouldn't accept any negative comments are otherwise I am blackening Brian and Rogers name. She then followed me to a different post and picked me out again. I was a bit taken aback when she said i was a 'republic' and for some reason she said she knows it all as she is a Trekkie. I didn't like to ask if that meant from Star Trek lol.

To finish when I saw the film, I loved it and it led me to look into all things Freddie and Queen so without it I wouldn't be here :) however, I did feel disappointed that adjustments have been made to the timeline as some people don't bother to find out when and what really happened and take the film as gospel.

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ARRRR Sorry about wrong words in places. My hands type faster than my brain :)

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, Ever since that biopic came out it seems to have made people turn on eachother and argue.I just dont see the good in that.They are still bringing in the $and could care less what it has done to all the fans that have loved Queen for decades.Don"t argue with them that's what they want .Maybe in years to come all this mayhem will die down.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW I meant to say creatures should be slaughtered before COOKING, not before KILLING! Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!!!

Hope you're all having a good day. Windy as hell here! But dry and bright.

Discovered a vintage stereoscopic viewer and box if stereoscopic prints in a junk shop on Saturday in Birmingham. I've attempted to let aBrian know about them (via his YouTube channel in comments, in his Facebook, and email contact.) Thought of him immediately when I saw them. Thought I'd let him know in case he was interested. I know it's never happen, but wouldn't it be funny if he wandered into that shop to buy them himself! :-)

I love my Queen 3D book. Favourite image is Brian's tortoiseshell cat Squeaky, (my puss cat is the same colour) andvthecine where Mary is looking really longingly at a distracted Freddie.(they're in a plane) Have to say I do feel sorry for her in that shot. She looks very forlorn.

TTFN, peeps.

Tammienorrie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to chime in on the skin tone discussion. I live in UK but I have a fairly tan complexion, so much so that upon return from summer holidays I am often mistaken for middle Eastern or North African by some clients. But after a British winter my skin tone is not much different from that of many very British people. That said, I think Freddie sexual orientation wasn't the only thing that didn't fit with the industry and public idea of how a rockstar should be, and he might have been convinced to mask his heritage too. They say humans make God at their own image, and it is true for our idols too.

Tammienorrie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to chime in on the skin tone discussion. I live in UK but I have a fairly tan complexion, so much so that upon return from summer holidays I am often mistaken for middle Eastern or North African by some clients. But after a British winter my skin tone is not much different from that of many very British people. That said, I think Freddie sexual orientation wasn't the only thing that didn't fit with the industry and public idea of how a rockstar should be, and he might have been convinced to mask his heritage too. They say humans make God at their own image, and it is true for our idols too.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Tammienorrie.. yes, I believe that Freddie might have avoided getting too much of a tan to add to his already swarthy complexion, as he wanted to fit in as much as possible. Sadly, when he first came to Britain, and in the 1979's especially there was far too much racial intolerance, so I think he may well have gone to certain lengths to try to appear as native Brit (Caucasian) as possible. Sad, but entirely possible.

If you look at the moving images of a young, quite freshly arrived Freddie Bulsara in that cine film at Isleworth Polytechnic which Adrian Morrish filmed, he looks quite dark you'd definitely take him for "a person of colour" as they say.

I think Freddie had lovely skin, and I love him nice and dark as when he was interviewed in Brazil, and at the 1984 Montreux Festival (where they lip synced a few songs) Freddie looked quite dark there.

Just my two-penneth. Feel free to disagree. Personally I like that touch of exoticism about Freddie. There isn't much I don't like about the man! :-)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Tammienorrie, your English seems pretty damned good to me, and hey, my English is a work-in-progress, to and I'm English! :-)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*too, not to !

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wings, Thor and Lee are the only guys I'm familiar with from his Newyork days.Sadly none wants to talk about his other friends that existed.They were absolutely Not hangovers that I believe was Miss Austin's words Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Handoners I mean sorry

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling I like Freddie any colour but he did look good with a tan...stares dreamily into space.....

I could do with a better viewer for my 3D book. I have the older version which I struggle with. This could also be because I have one eye long sighted and one short sighted.

Lovely Amazon delivered The Great Pretender book today. It's a lovely book with some lovely words from Rami as the Foreword.

Lee I have found you on Instagram and I have commented on your photo. You are looking good :)

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee/Thor I have a question

I am not sure if you have answered this but did John Murphy visit Freddie in London, Garden Lodge to say he had aids or was that made up ?

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TammieNorrie I am a tad unlucky with my skin colour as I am a red head with very fair skin and freckles.

TammieNorrie I am a tad unlucky with my skin colour as I am a red head with very fair skin and freckles.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Pink Angels" was never a term that we or Freddie used. If Mr. Hince used that name (term), it was limited to himself. And, that is completely fine, but the term was just not one that we used. All due respect to you though "Ratty"

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, we were not HANGER ONS...sorry to disagree.

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, My mom was too but my dad was full blood Indian.

Posted: 15 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, that's what I said my hands are numb today and I misspelled it. I'm sorry someone said this.I know they were quoting a book but still you dont have to quote something of a disrespectful nature.Just my opinion.