Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi! The book by Rosemary is not longer found in paperback but can be found through Amazon kindle. She gave a short article interview a few years ago about it and the poor woman left Freddie knowing he was battling with his sexuality, only to marry another man, have kids and get divorced when he also realized he was gay. Yikes!
Her book was called 'Life Art and Freddie Mercury'. There is very little about Freddie in there. So much so that it's pretty obvious she only included Freddie's name in the title to help promote the book about her time as a art student in the 60s lol. But it does have enough info in it to help piece together some of Freddie's early struggles with his sexuality. She talks about his "obsession and hate toward gay men. Like how Freddie would mock and insult gay men (a very common symptom of a closeted person who is testing the waters with the people around them, checking their tolerance for gays and trying to overcompensate for something), she talks about how she would try to change the subject from gay men (which he claimed he didn't like) to anything else but she said he would force the conversation back to them every chance he got. She describes it's as an obsession he had. It went from "I don't get them. How can one man do that to another right? Gross." to "Tell me more about them. What are they like? Can I meet them? I MUST meet them!" Once Freddie realized she was tolerant of gay men, he opened up and told her he was interested in men. She said she assumed that since she and Freddie had been physical, he wasn't gay. That all changed when he met some of her gay friends and he started crying during the act of love making.

Being gay myself and having spent years holding on to the hope that I was bisexual, that story hit close to home. It all felt painfully familiar.

People often ask why Freddie spent so many years hiding the fact that he was gay from Mary. Keep in mind, Mary herself said he avoided her so much the last few years, she knew anyway but- in Rosemary's book, she says Freddie was an emotional wreck when she left him, not because they were madly in love but because Freddie admitted she was the only person who knew what he really was and if she left, he would feel truly and deeply alone. Not to mention the boys at his college called him "the old queen" due to his mannerisms. When you're trying to break into the music industry and be taken seruosuly as a musician in the late 60s, you do NOT want to be exposed as gay. To avoid that, you need a woman. Mary followed Rosemary by just a few months and I think it's clear Freddie was afraid she would leave too had she known earlier on that he was gay. But rumors stirred anyway even in the early years. Enter the random ring proposal and immediate backpedaling on that engagement from Freddie etc.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 903 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, That book Rosemary Pearson wrote was a good read and a crucial one I think.He was able to share more of his feelings with her than he was Mary Austin.She broke it off with him because she knew the feelings he was having were real.She knew she would have lost him anyway.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think his engagement to Mary Austin was because he really wanted to marry her.Just my opinion .

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Black queen, I think if John and Freddie were the ones still with us they would have done things much different.I dont think there would be a biopic made and let's face it Freddie was the best frontman of all time John Deacon had a good buisness sense .They definitely would be making music.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 132 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers and Chevyman - thanks for the synopsis of the book. I have four books in my kindle now - I am trying to read all at the same time- think I will pass on that one for now.
I am sure having a relationship with Freddie was an inspiration for writing the book, but I agree she adds another piece of the puzzle to the emotional crisis Freddie must have been going through at the time.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 643 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the book recommendation villiers.

Have a good day or night all

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The squirrelly one

I sent you a pm a while back. Apologies as you probably thought I was a nutter.

As you knew him I just wanted to ask if he found peace in his life and was able to live a happy life I feel so much for him .

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The squirrelly one

I sent you a pm a while back. Apologies as you probably thought I was a nutter.

As you knew him I just wanted to ask if he found peace in his life and was able to live a happy life I feel so much for him .

Spreadwingsgirl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee (and others), thank you for your additional comments. I only take that passage (from Peter Hince book) as a point of interest or curiosity. It's written with sarcasm and for amusement, and it's definitely not something I take too seriously.

Overall, I didn't like the book, except for a few parts. As I wrote in the previous post, most of Freddie/Queen's books were disappointing for me. I liked (with some reservations) only Peter Freestone, Jim Hutton and David Minns/David Evans books. In general, I like the testimonies of people who (well) knew Freddie. Therefore, I hope that a book by Thor and Lee will come out.

This discussion of the books reminded me that I know book by Russian author who trying to prove it that Freddie was heterosexual. Seriously. Basically, she is a crazy fan who claims (among other things) that Freddie has been infected with HIV purposely in the hospital (via an infected syringe). Peter, Joe and Jim were gay spies. Mary longed for Freddie's death and Jim was just a gardener who actually hated Freddie. LOL I found this crazy thing on the internet and it is basically a very funny reading, unfortunately it was also published in a book and it was translated into at least one language, which I find completely incomprehensible.

Villiers, your posts are great, thanks for the new information.

I have to apologize again for my English, write a comment is quite difficult for me and I hope it makes some sense.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posting a couple nice things I found posted on that 50 Shades of Freddie page. Sweet things.:-) Some things are innocent, but not many!:-0

Attachment: 2019416220161423.jpg 34 KB
This has been downloaded 45 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posting a couple nice things I found posted on that 50 Shades of Freddie page. Sweet things.:-) Some things are innocent, but not many!:-0

Attachment: 20194161240385023.jpg 34 KB
This has been downloaded 32 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops! Double posted 1stvone. Here comes another -differentone. Interesting gives vital statistics!

Attachment: 20194161914596960.png 385 KB
This has been downloaded 48 time(s).

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spread, I hadn't read that book you were talking about hopefully he was joking.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers, thank you for this superb summary on how Freddie showcased his sexuality on stage and hid it off it. The David Wigg comment is exactly what I was thinking about when asking that question! I image it must have been quite cathartic for him to be able to express it so boldly in front of so many people on stage and be accepted for it, while still keeping it hidden at the same time because the audience had no idea what he was actually doing.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Squierlly, thanks for the info on Ratty. I wasn't aware of any of the drama you describe and so can't comment on it. I will say that I read the book fairly recently and I'm confused why Brian or anyone would take such an issue with it. It's mostly about the mischief that the roadies got up to on the road, some brief but interesting insights into the interactions between him and the band members (specifically Freddie and John – fun tidbits, but nothing scandalous) and just general insights into the workings of a live Queen show. He does say that being a roadie is an exhausting job that can be often thankless, but I doubt this comes as a shock to anyone. It might be true he wrote it because he needed the money, but as long as the information he provided is accurate (and I don't see why it wouldn't be)...who cares?

I’ve also become rather weary of the official Queen organisation and their opinions ever since reading about Shaun’s experience with Jim Beach and hearing about their apparent disapproval of Thor and Lee’s book. It seems they are just interested in portraying a certain Queen image, true or not, and want to stop anyone from sharing their honest experience without clearing it with them first. Notice how the film contained all sorts of inaccuracies, most of which at Freddie’s expense (but not Brian’s or Roger’s…shocker), but it promoted the Queen brand as a whole and raked in millions, so it was apparently perfectly ok? That speaks volumes about their priorities and it doesn’t sit well with me at all.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling that's so wholesome, I love it! I find it hilarious that they asked him to provide exact measurements for specific body parts (well...except for the one the ladies over at 50 shades actually want to know about lol).

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala, I've read Ratty's book several times. The first time I was disappointed because it was so focused on the job the roadies do, and not so much on Freddie. Having read it several times since, I get kind of a kick out of it. I think maybe Ratty's humor is an acquired taste, but his genuine care for Freddie does show through. As for selling items because of a need for money, I don't think that's all that unusual. Life happens.

As for Brian's views, I respect and understand them, though I may not agree with all of them. I'm grateful for the books about Freddie. Brian is my second favorite member of Queen. Love him, love his passions. I don't follow him as closely as I follow Freddie, but I think he's a gem.

Thor, several people recently have commented on the Queen organization trying to stop the publication of your book.. Have you found that to be true, or have you sensed the organization lurking in the background? Maybe I'm naïve, but as powerful as they may be, I can't imagine they are contacting all possible publishers and asking/telling them to pass on your book. I did happen to be in the right place at the right time to see the exchange between Jacky and Villiers, and Jacky was very unpleasant. But I wonder if she's changed her mind since then?? Peter has contact with her doesn't he? Wouldn't he vouch for our guys?? What's your take on all of this??

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, Have they said why they want to stop the publication of the book.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, I was asking based on what other posters have said. I hadn't heard that anywhere but on this thread and I have no knowledge of it. I was wondering what Thor's take was.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala, What body part are we talking about my dear?I bet that 50 shades can be a fun game to play.