Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala, What body part are we talking about my dear?I bet that 50 shades can be a fun game to play.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy,Oh Okay thank You glad to see you back posting you always have such nice things to add to this thread.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Chevy!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 17:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, where on line did you manage to see Jacky and Villiers convo? Doesn't sound nice that Jacky wasn't nice, what a shame . I think Freddie would very much approve of the book :)

Radioblabla user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone,

I've seen your conversation about Thor & Lee 's book and about how the idee of it did not sit well with Jacky.
Now, maybe I'm stupid but are you talking about Jacky Smith or Jacky Gunn? I admit I feel lost. Lol

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all, I've had a horrible day at work today, still it's hump day tomorrow :)

I’ve also become rather weary of the official Queen organisation and their opinions ever since reading about Shaun’s experience with Jim Beach and hearing about their apparent disapproval of Thor and Lee’s book. It seems they are just interested in portraying a certain Queen image, true or not, and want to stop anyone from sharing their honest experience without clearing it with them first. Notice how the film contained all sorts of inaccuracies, most of which at Freddie’s expense (but not Brian’s or Roger’s…shocker), but it promoted the Queen brand as a whole and raked in millions, so it was apparently perfectly ok? That speaks volumes about their priorities and it doesn’t sit well with me at all.

Koala I feel the same :( ALso how is your head today?

FreddieDarling fab posts on Fifty Shades, very tame for that group but what a shame we don't have other measurements lol ;) PLUS I got my Freddie T Shirt today, I love it :)

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radioblabla ....Jacky Gunn Jacky Smith ... Same person. Gunn was her name before she married. Appropriate combo! A gunsmith is an artisan who makes firearms!

Doughnut,...... so glad your t-shirt arrived! That should put a smile in your face.:-)

Love the John Deacon comment! Sweet! Maybe "You're My Best Friend" was partly for Freddie, too?!

Yes, howzabout that all important statistic p, Freddie! :-D Well, I'm sure Freddie didn't like to brag, o that's why he didn't tell us that one!

Yes, very tame posts for that group! I've raised my eyebrows MANY times! LOL!

Oooh, 2 days till Mercury time! Whooppeee!!

Hope you all had a good Tuesday and have a few of days off to look forward to this weekend!

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to All the Newest Contributors!

On the subject of the Queen Organization's Possible Displeasure: The good news is even if the Queen organization dislikes the idea of a book being published by 2 of Freddie's U.S. friends, there's nothing they can do about it. Free speech for the win! The Queen organization's stamp of approval is not needed, and prior books have been published over many years and we haven't heard of Queen being especially pleased about any published book that wasn't authored by someone in the band (that would be Brian, as he's the only one in the band who has published a book).

On the subject of Peter "Ratty" Hince's book: I saw no harm in Ratty's book and I did read it, some parts I've read twice. Ratty's writing style is colorful and a bit cheeky sometimes. A majority of the book describes experiences of being a roadie and the various shenanigans he and fellow roadies got up to at the time, which of course included a lot of drinking, partying, some drugs, one-night-stands and short term romances. Perhaps Ratty was disgruntled as he left, but that really doesn't come through in his book. He seemed to be very fond of the band in general, and Freddie & John in particular. He does describe feeling burned out after 10 years, wondering what he'd be doing in the future, and wanting to have some other path. They (at least Freddie & John) thought enough of him to ask him to come back to help run their last concert tour, and by all accounts he appears to have had a trusted working relationship. He described doing other chores along the way, including arranging to get furniture Freddie ordered for others, including Mary, from places he ordered them while traveling on tour to their recipients.

Movie Trivia: Anyone who watched BoRhap the movie, the Live Aid part actually shows the 'Ratty' character handing Freddie's microphone to him after he finishes the first piano part. They even dressed up that extra with a wig and the exact same outfit Ratty was wearing at the time. It was not a speaking part and if you blinked you could have missed it, but they were dedicated to making the Live Aid section as true to real as they could, so Ratty was in there.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello from Russia to everyone!

I just felt I needed to create an account and write my thoughts here after I'd read the post where Spreadwingsgirl mentions the book by a Russian author who claimed Freddie was straight. That's Mother Russia for you lol! But brace yourselves. There's more to come.

This author, Mariam Akhundova, died in 2012 so there's no way now to ask her why she had made up all that stuff. And most Russian fans don't take her 2 books seriously (though there are some who do).

But since Mariam's death, there has been another author, Pavel Surkov, who continues to screw our brains. While Mariam seems to have had little profit from her books, this new author is quite popular and I would assume makes good money out of his book and lectures that he gives. I would say Mariam was a passionate fan who believed what she wanted to believe. But Pavel is not like her. He is a businessman and uses common Russian traits (like homophobia) to his advantage. Basically, Pavel claims that he has met Brian May, and Brian hinted to him that Freddie was infertile and that's the reason why he split up with Mary - she wanted children. Also Pavel claims that there is no evidence that Freddie had relationships with men and that Brian has never said that Freddie was homosexual - Pavel says the word "gay" has several meanings in English and Brian never meant it as "homosexual" but rather as "lighthearted, carefree, joyful". (Brian seems to be his favourite "source"). Because many Russians are not good at English, they believe Pavel. They can't read and watch a lot of materials that are not translated into Russian. Also, like Mariam, a lot of them just want to believe that Freddie was straight.

Why I'm writing all this here. I read earlier that Villiers2 is going to have a live with Thor and Lee some time soon, and that it's quite likely that Brian might be listening to it. Could it be possible to mention this author Pavel Surkov and his theories during the live? Probably Brian might hear it and give his opinion about this. I don't like when someone's name is used without the person's knowledge, and I don't like what Pavel is doing with Brian's name. Also I don't like that he plays on the homophobic tendencies of the Russian society in order to make profit.

To finish this long post, thank you to Thor and Lee for sharing your memories with us! I am looking forward to see your book and to listen to you chat with Villiers! :)

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With the comments just made here, I would like to speak to the nature of our book.

Our book deals 80% with the years from 1980 through 1983 when we were close friends of Freddie's in New York City. It was a time that honestly did NOT have the majority of the important people from Freddie's life in it.

There was no Elton John, Dave Clark, Joe Fanelli, Mary Austin, Rosemary, Jim Beach, nor Peter Straker in it. There was no Jacky Smith/Gunn. The three other band members were present of course, during concert tours, but only in the terms of brief, very polite introductions. Friendships with these wonderful men were not possible nor plausible at that time. We were considered Freddie's gay friends but nobody knew actually how close we were. Included in this mix was the ever-present and ever-loveable Peter Freestone.

Our book highlights the wonderfully fun, and often frantically exciting, times from those three years, and features the constant wit of our friend Freddie. He is only depicted as a happy, loving, generous, caring and self-assured gay man. Things were so free in New York and Freddie loved it. We were extremely proud to be considered his friends.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! I never heard of that Russian author or those infertile rumors.I'm not a big fan of Brian as you guys know but, I have never heard him say this ever.The reason Mary and Freddie separated was because he had the courage to talk to her about his sexuality and that their relationship would have to change.It was a mutual thing I'm sure.Thats why they broke their engagement and they were both responsible in my book not bringing children into a relationship that had to end at some point.He wasnt infertile he didnt sleep with women after Mary Austin just opinion based info on my part.

thundergod

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Big Welcome to RussiaLand,

At this point, I cannot see that it would fit in to mention your friend. There is no guarantee that Brian will be listening and this topic would not be appropriate for our very first pod-cast I am sorry but maybe the fact that you mentioned it here will help people understand better.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I wish I could give you a big hug :)

I expect nothing more from your book than what you have described and I cannot wait to hear all of your stories and adventures and your precious photos. It just shines through to me just how much you both loved/love Freddie and so thank god you (thor) hit on him one night all those years ago.

I still pinch myself that I am talking with the great Freddie Mercury's friend all the way from the good old us.

It will be so nice to see this side of Freddie and how much he enjoyed his life of freedom at that time.

peace out

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just to add I have a soft spot for Disco Deaky, his moves were the best. I like that Freddie took care of him ,John was only 19 when he joined the band. You are my best friend is one of my fav songs, in fact many of the ones written by him and Freddie I like.

Talking of the Kensington Roof Garden party, there is a video of parts of it on youtube and John bless him , was having a boogie whilst sitting on his chair and then slid off onto the floor passed out. I guess his drinks via his cocktail bar whilst on stage had a contribution.

I looked for sight of you Lee & Thor but couldn't see you. I did see the lovely young lady in the lift lol

thundergod

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha Ha doughnut,

Did you see the extra-large fish tank of naked human beings sliding against each other like reptiles?

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydyd5, I completely agree with you on the book. I don't have anything against Brian per se, I actually have a lot of respect for him and a lot of the things he does (like his musicianship, advocating for animal rights etc), but some things he says/criticizes just confuse me.

I don't know if the Queen organisation is actually trying to stop Thor and Lee's book from being published, but from what we've seen they're not happy about it.

@Chevy, I was talking about his NOSE, of course! ;-)

@Doughnut, I'm sorry for your stressful day and I hope your week gets better from today on. My head is fine btw, thanks for asking – my trick is to always stay hydrated while drinking, and it seems to work. Oh, and congratulations on the new t-shirt!

@NeverTooLate, very well put and agreed on all counts.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome RussiaLand, and thank you for sharing. We don't often get a look into what's happening in the Russian Queen community, so it's especially nice to hear from you. I've seen some Russian comments on youtube that basically claim what you've described: that Freddie being gay is just a crazy conspiracy theory. Sad how people are willing to lie to themselves due to homophobia, and even more sad that people exploit this for money.That bit about how gay actually means happy in this context gave me a good laugh, though. Reminds me of this brilliant sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wu81BEVBI

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor do you mean the naked ladies wrestling, then yes I did lol
Or was there really humans in a large fish tank?

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I don't think anyone who's read this thread could possibly think that your book will be anything but a celebration of Freddie and the wonderful times you've had together. I don't know whether the official Queen camp disapproves because they're expecting tabloid drivel, or because they simply dislike not being in control of what sort of information gets shared. Or maybe it's because a happy, gay Freddie surrounded by benevolent gay friends isn't the narrative they want to push (I know, I sound like a conspiracy theorist). Either way, they're wrong and can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for the language, but this kind of stuff annoys me greatly.

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Naked people painted like reptiles the man new how to have fun.I bet it looked cool.