Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1047 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am just making one comment on the new book everyone should be able to share their memories with a man they cared and respected so much.All of those books will be here for years to come make your mark.You guys made alot of joyful fun memories share them with the world.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Darling..glad all the stickies are in good health. Will they form a band when they grow up ?? :) :) ;);)

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut..... I dunno! They sort of of object to drummers! I think they think that drumsticks might be their brethren, and they think it looks a bit tough! Maybe an a capella group ? :-)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to be (temporarily) painted as my snake! Red, black and orange! He's a beauty. And his skin feels like the most expensive, supple Italian leather. He's my lovely boy. :-)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

God help me! There's an auction for a Freddie SH Figuart figure (with the interchangeable heads and hands)'on eBay that's ending on Sunday, and I SO want this boy! I'm tempted to pay a silly amount of money for him! Obsession? Me? ...... You betcha!

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's always some fan who will get butthurt over something. Fans often fantasize about a famous musician and performer they never met, and build up an image of who he was, what he liked/didn't like, all of it. Anything that conflicts with their built-up fantasy is often treated like a personal transgression.

Consider how Jim H. got a lot of criticism for his book and "how dare he..." He was a loving and devoted companion to Freddie for 7 years, as well as a terrifically talented gardener who worked hard at Garden Lodge. He was known to be an honorable, truthful man and yet, the haters hate and called him all sorts of names over the years.

And Peter/Phoebe has received his share of criticism, "selling out..."

Ridiculous.

Anyone who hates books written about Freddie *by those who knew him*, if it offends, then it's simple: don't buy the books.

Radioblabla user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling wrote:

Radioblabla ....Jacky Gunn Jacky Smith ... Same person. Gunn was her name before she married. Appropriate combo! A gunsmith is an artisan who makes firearms!

Oh thank you! that makes sense now...
Would she really knows what QPL and precisely what Jim Beach would like or agree/disagree with regarding this?
Or is it just her own opinion?

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jacky does still talk to Beach, unfortunately. Both are rather unpleasant people.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone mentioned they messaged me but I don't see anything sorry. I'm not close to Jim Beach but I've meet him a number of times and from what I've heard from Brian he is very protective of the band and it's reputation. He has a very short fuse when it comes to new books and documentaries. I hope they understand Thor and Lee's book is nothing but love. Thor Brian will be listening once it goes on YouTube.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 19, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no doubt the book will depict Freddie in the best light, and I really look forward to it.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I definitely need to go back and watch the Garden Roof party video- I missed quite a bit. The creativity of these parties was incredible. How much thought and planning went into these :)?

The publication of Thor and Lee's book will reveal a part of Freddie's life while he was in New York. How is this any different from Jim's book? I just don't understand this Jim Beach - "Queen" machine interference .

Also, Freddie seemed like his body was very fit and toned. I know Thor mentioned he had exercise equipment he never used, but how did the have the stamina to perform they way he did? He didn't exactly follow the "healthy" lifestyle they preach in this day and age. Definitely had the DNA of a legendary rock star.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Em, Beach did NOT like Jim's book either. As a matter of fact Jim was pretty vocal about "the queen machine" and it's disapproval of his book. Brian has never read and won't but he did like Jim a great deal.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Squirrellyone- I just don't understand how Thor and Lee's book is so terrible to this "machine"? What are they afraid of? It can't be image - Freddie hasn't changed since he passed- Queen is making an enormous amount of money touring all over the world- it's none of their business- it's Thor and Lee's !!

It's obvious fans are anxious and excited for this book- shouldn't be stopped because of indifference.

I am surprised Brian has never read Jim's book- could it be because it would be too painful for him?

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, Brian hasn't read Jim's book because he does not read any books on Freddie's private life. He feels it's none of his or anyone else's buisness. As shown in the movie where the Freddie they show behaved absolutely nothing like the real one. Part of that was because the script was down to someone else and part of it was because Brian just didn't know what went on with Freddie outside of the studio.

Queen Productions has always hid Freddie's sexuality to save sales. They spent so many years pushing the Mary Austin love story, having the truth come out about how happy Freddie was being gay and not having her be the center of his life gets in the way of their agenda. That's why Beach doesn't like it. It's a shame because I tend to agree with Villiers who says Freddie's real life was so much more interesting than anything QP or the movie could come up with.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A fairly recent Dave Clark opinion. He 100% agrees with John Deacon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KnvXc_YInXM

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1047 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know its kind of sad that this truly awesome man gave so much of his talent to the world .They want his story told but they want to keep covering his sexuality like they did back in the day.What they dont realise the fans dont care that he was gay they just want to keep his memory alive.The problem is there are so many gaps in his story that noone knows who his friends or interests were past the 70s.I just hope it's not shame because I think that is a silly reason not to want the truth known.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Privet! :-)

Thor, I agree with you, this topic probably wouldn't be appropriate for your podcast. It feels good, though, to have written about this here, as I am literally sick of all this crazy sh*t that these 2 authors have started.

Koala, hahaha, the video with Fry and Laurie is hilarious! ;)
Ah, happy, gay Freddie ?? It seems he was too happy for some people to take it.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hm, emoji's not working here? I meant to paste something else instead of ??, sorry:)

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RussiaLand

Feel free to contact Brian directly with this issue. He Is quite open to communicate with fans.

And emoji's aren't working here you have to write old good ":)" :)

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Feel free to contact Brian directly with this issue. He Is quite open to communicate with fans." Lol sorry but who told you that? Are you referring to him responding to a handful of comments on Instagram? Like when he bites the head off of people when they criticize him or the movie?

I think you might have been misled lol.