Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin Brian does respond with a quick "Thank you" or "happy birthday" to a few comments. I doubt he would respond to someone asking about a Russian author who wrote something bizarre about Freddie, though. He's a good guy but he does have a short fuse when it comes to criticism and personal information. He has been known to snap at fans but he always issues an apology once he's had time to calm down.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin I am also a little shocked to see negative comments about Brian from you. He is human and does have his moments but he is a good man.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TSO don't get me wrong i appreciate his musical ability and his legacy in rock which is why I was thrilled to get his autograph (thank you again for getting him to send one for me to add to my collection) but I don't necessarily believe it's wrong to call even a music legend out on his actions. My apologies if I offended but we've all seen the way he can get with fans who ask him things or make comments he doesn't like. He drove one young lady offline entirely by posting about her politely asking him to tag her in the photo of him that she took, publically condemning her and banning her from all Queen shows. He literally told her he would have her thrown out of every Queen show she tries to go to. The poor girl had thousands of Queen fans attacking her for it. All she did was ask him to tag her in the photo that she took. Politely. And how about the guy mentioning politely that it's not the best look to still be following Bryan Singer during his sexual abuse charges? He told his millions of followers that the guy needed to mind his own damn buisness and fuck off. Yeah he apologized for those and all the rest of the occurrences but it's unrealistic to downplay his outbursts to his own fans in my opinion. If you'd like to respond I'm open to holding it via PM. Thanks.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have actually written to Brian in a direct message on Instagram, but I don't think he saw it. As for leaving this in a comment to some of his photos, I don't feel it would be right to do so, as it might be unpleasant for him to discuss such personal details there. Also I don't want to start a war under his photo in case some crazy Russian conspiracists decide to come there...

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Huuuump day peeps!!!!
For those of you who have not seen the Hump day commercial......check YT? For Geico Camel Commercial.....and have yourself a giggle!!!! It's one of my all time faves!

Two more days til FunFriday!!!
Ttfn

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as Brian goes everyone is human I just dont think fans understand why he try to cover his band mates sexuality and a part of who he was.He clearly has a say so in what queen productions puts out there.As far as a talented man all four of those guys created that awesome band and should always get honor and respect for that.I dont hate anyone but I just dont agree with what Brian and Roger allowed Queen Productions to do to their bandmate.At the end of the day they are the ones that have to live with that.

Radioblabla user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One wrote:

No, Brian hasn't read Jim's book because he does not read any books on Freddie's private life. He feels it's none of his or anyone else's buisness. As shown in the movie where the Freddie they show behaved absolutely nothing like the real one. Part of that was because the script was down to someone else and part of it was because Brian just didn't know what went on with Freddie outside of the studio.

Queen Productions has always hid Freddie's sexuality to save sales. They spent so many years pushing the Mary Austin love story, having the truth come out about how happy Freddie was being gay and not having her be the center of his life gets in the way of their agenda. That's why Beach doesn't like it. It's a shame because I tend to agree with Villiers who says Freddie's real life was so much more interesting than anything QP or the movie could come up with.

When you say Queen Productions here, pushing the Mary Austin love story, do you include Roger and Brian? Or just Jim Beach? I never had that feeling from the guys. Well maybe a bit more since the movie when Brian talked about it but that's all.

Villier, I enjoy your lives. The time-slot is not always the best for me so thank you for uploading it on youtube each time. Between , I love your voice I understand everything, which is not always easy for a non english speaker.(exemple I have some difficulties to understand Roger sometimes lol). Can't wait for the next one.

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have never heard Roger talk about Mary, only Brian has talked about her and he has spoken very warmly of her

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SquirrelyOne --- It was me that sent you a PM...I have sent you another.

Blenkolove Happy Hump Day :)

Thor/Lee Happy Hump day to you both too :)

Interesting convo last night, Dustin I saw the girl asking Brain to tag her on Instagram and then Brian's reply. I really couldn't work out what she had done wrong but I saw the abuse she was getting. Brain really needs to be careful on social media as it can be very harmful. It seemed such an innocent request and didn't warrant such a strong response. Even the nicest people aren't nice all the time. Perhaps he was having a bad day . I imagine he encounters his fair share of trolls.

Chevyman and everyone else hope all good.

Last day at work tomorrow then a long weekend for Easter....lots of chocolate eggs :)

Russialand...I didn't realize many Russians were so homophobic although to be fair I really don't know much about Russia. Last year the Football World Cup was held in Russia and in England we were very nervous of how it would pan out with the fans . Things didn't go so well previously. However, it was all very peaceful and as far as I know there were no big problems. Russia is beautiful in parts from what I could see.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I am doing ok my grandson is driving me crazy he is three.I keep him all week while his parents work.I dont mind it keeps me moving even though I am in a wheelchair.Im sure am glad for him to go home though.Im 45 to old for a three year old.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I don't think Russians are aggressively homophobic, at least from what I can see. But many people don't want their favourite singer to be gay, that's for sure. I've had the most ridiculous conversations with some fans. They start by saying they don't have anything against gays, but "Freddie was not such a person, stop throwing mud at him! Look at his eyes, they are so beautiful and kind." I then usually ask them, do they think gay people can't be beautiful and kind? And usually that's the end of the conversation. I think this is hidden homophobia, and these people don't realize themselves that they are homophobic.

I need to say that a lot of Russians are not homophobic at all, and I think most of the Russian Queen community is not homophobic. But people who are scream the loudest.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Forgot to ask, Doughnut, did you visit Russia during the World Cup? :)

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Wonderful Queen Zoners,

Once again I am off to Palm Springs in a few hours to see Lee. We will be prepping for the Villier's Live Show. Don't tell anyone, but I am a bit nervous. Live speaking does not allow for corrections like typing does. Oh well, I hope we come off reasonably sane.
Anyway, please pray to the very temperamental tire gods...my two brand new Goodyear's SHOULD hold up for a 125 mile drive, but then again, who knows. At least I have AAA...oops, that is no guarantee as I have learned.
I will check-in with you all a few times so I don't have to scour through 15 pages when I get home...LOL.
Stay tuned for the actual date and time of the Villier's LIVE.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Usually when asked a direct question that Brian wants to avoid and it keeps being asked that is his reaction.I am not trying to be unkind but he doesnt want any other stories or memories out other than those of MA because that is what Queen Productions consider family friendly and holsom.But the problem with all that history is that it was a front and I am sorry it hurt MA .But Freddie was who he was and noone has the right to change that.Everyone deserves acceptance for who they are.We Are doomed society without it.

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck, Thor! And don't be nervous, imagine that you are talking to your friends, not to the faceless ether:)

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish we could have a live with Bian May and ask him a few questions how do you guys way in on this .What questions would you ask him?Be honest.This isn't for real but I am interested to know what each of us would ask him.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

You and Lee will do a GREAT job! The fans don't want or need a perfect public speaker...they just want someone who is honest and genuine. That is a quality that Freddie responded to, that is what people on this thread have responded to, and that is what the fans on the live chat will respond to!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, have a safe journey and say hi to Lee for us. The prospect of seeing and hearing you two live after reading this thread for so long is super exciting. The nerves are understandable, but I'm sure you'll be great :-)

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have a wonderful time, Thor!

We are all very excited for the Live

Posted: 17 Apr 19, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Luck to you guys!