Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Tammienorrie and a hearty congratulations to you and your spouse on the occasion of your 10th wedding anniversary. Have a great time on your day trip...those are so much fun.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1085 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of anniversaries I cant believe I have been married for 25 years.I got married at 18 that seems so long ago.I wonder If Freddie were still with us If he and Jim would have gotten married.

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, Thanks for your kind post that little boy is my heart my everything.His name is Cbevy by the way it's my screen name.He is my sons boy.I have to admit my son was a mama's boy and gets a little jealous at times.To change that subject I cant wait to see this live interview it's actually happening awesome.I cant hardly wait till villers upload it.

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, He's name is Chevy I dont know where that b came from.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TammieNorrie have a fab day and happy annivesary :) xxxxx

Chevyman Peter has said that Freddie was traditional so he couldn't imagine he would of wanted to get married. Also once Jim was asked this in an interview I read and his reply was ' god no, we weren't stupid' or along those lines.

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, so you dont think they would just waundering.It doesnt matter really they considered themselves as such anyway till Freddie died didnt they.

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think they would have but who knows as times have changed since 1991. Peter said he was very traditional.

Have you sorted out instagram ready for the live?

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers....
Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy- I think I might agree with you about the marriage- to me if Freddie was traditional- it would have meant eventually getting married- which during that time it wouldn’t have even been a possibility.

Also, if he gave Mary a ring, even if it was for show, marriage must not have been out of the realm of possibility. The rest of the band was married and if gay marriage would have been accepted- he may have pulled the trigger with Jim. All is pure speculation- but interesting for discussion.

Lastly, when Jim said “we weren’t that stupid”- again, it would have been stupid to consider during that time period.

Posted: 18 Apr 19, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, It will be loaded on YouTube wont it like the others.When is it?

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For Crying Out Loud Villiers!!
Just pass that dreadful stone already!!!!....You have a very important Live to broadcast!!!! If Thor can conquer the almighty Tire Gods.....YOU can Surely beat down the Dreadful Kidney Stone Gods!!!!
.......too bad you couldn't enjoy that Morphine!! Lol
Seriously Sis, we are here for you!!!! PLEASE feel better soon......xoxo

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I agree with everyone - you guys will be GREAT. Nobody wants perfect - we just want the real and wonderful YOU. I love what Rainbows said! Ditto

So glad the tire gods granted you safe passage.

Holy God Villiers2 - SUCKS about your kidney stone!! I hope you are feeling better very soon

Black Queen's kid - I love your philosophy!

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> A very entertaining guy named Tony (last name escapes me
> right now). He used to be Man Friday (or Phoebe if you will)
> for Elton John and Yoko Ono. This guy had the funniest stories
> ever and his delivery and timing were great. He kept Freddie
> laughing for sure.

Thor, we think we have found this Tony in our Russian team of sherlockholmeses:) Is he the man on the photo that I have attached? This is Tony King (photo is from Phoebe's book "Freddie Mercury: An Intimate Memoir by the Man who Knew Him Best: An Intimate Memoir by the Man who Knew Him Best").

Here is what Phoebe writes about Tony King:

"Tony King, who worked for John Lennon and Yoko Ono, and thereafter Yoko and thereafter Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall was also a constant friend in New York as he was permanently resident there."

"Freddie and his good friend Tony King started up what was to become an international game known to more than a few of his friends. The 'B' Moviestar game started in a bar in New York where we each had to name an actress who while being a known name had never made the 'A' list. The likes of Viviane Ventura, Laya Raki, Britt Ekland, Tania Elg, Viveka Lindfors - sorry, girls - but you were at the top of Freddie's list. Even Joan Collins who has since become a household name due to her wonderful work on television."

Lesley-Ann Jones gives a bit different description of how this game started:

"Also in 1975, Elton teamed up with a second Scot carving a name for himself: Rod Stewart. <...> It was during the sessions for this LP that they hit upon the old theatrical custom of calling themselves by women's names. Elton was dubbed Sharon Cavendish, a name which he would use routinely on tour. Rod was Phyllis, after the actress Phyllis Diller. <...> When Freddie found out, he had to join in, and became Melina Mercouri. <...> Freddie would one day employ an entire entourage known by female names. His PA was Phoebe (Peter Freestone), his former lover turned chef was Liza (Joe Fanelli), and his personal manager Paul Prenter was Trixie. Nor were friends and band members immune: Brian was Maggie, as in Rod's hit 'Maggie May'. Roger was Liz, for Elizabeth Taylor. <...> and Mick Jagger's assistant and Freddie's long-standing friend, Tony King, became Joy. Mary Austin, taking things the other way, was Steve, as in TV's 'The Six Million Dollar Man', Steve Austin. Did she mind? 'Nobody was allowed to mind!' laughed Phoebe. 'You knew that someone was accepted if they got "a name". John Deacon never had one, curiously. Perhaps because he was so shy.'"

Finally, Peter Hince says in his book that John Deacon had a nickname "Belisha (Belisha Beacon?)", but that's not a female name:)

I hope this long post has been useful! :)

Attachment: 20194191229664567.PNG 682 KB
This has been downloaded 36 time(s).

Spreadwingsgirl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the topic of marriage Peter Freestone writes in his blog:

„Barbara asked if I thought Freddie and Jim would have got married, if it was possible, as it is now legal. To be honest, I don’t think it would have happened. Freddie was very traditional in his thoughts and for him marriage was between a husband and wife. Freddie was very happy to be in a relationship with Jim, but I think Freddie carried it as far as he felt he was able to. Freddie was a very complicated person, and some of the things he did were contrary to his traditional up-bringing, but he did what HE felt comfortable doing.“

Of course, this is a hypothetical question, but I don't think Peter can even know what Freddie would think of a same-sex marriage today. The society has changed a lot in the past thirty years, it is quite possible that Freddie's opinions would change as well. And we don't know what his personal life would be like ... By the way, I read that, for example, Elton John was not a big fan of same-sex marriage (he said in 2008 he preferred civil partnerships over marriage for gay people) - and where he is today.

I am very much looking forward to live chat on Instagram.

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

villiers I turned into your live yesterday am (uk time) and I said hello. I don't know if you saw it as I had to sign off and go to work . As others have said 'get that kidney stone out '

I love your accent by the way :)

Thor and Lee I have you are having a blast :)

Chevyman if you miss the live I wouldn't worry as I'm sure that Villiers will upload it to her youtube account. I think Thor said he will tell us when it is going to go ahead so we don't miss it.

We will never know if they would have gotten married, although I don't think they would have done it whilst Freddie's parents were alive out of respect.

peace out

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 582 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

This is totally unrelated to Freddie , other than it's a photo of London, where Freddie lived, but I thought I'd share the photo I took on Westminster bridge in around 2005, maybe. I use it as the wallpaper on my tablet, and am considering getting it made into a large canvas at a photo shop.

It was taken on a late November evening and it had been tipping down with rain. I was soaked to the skin! Suffering for my "art"! :-)
But, those weather conditions proved VERY atmospheric.

Hope you enjoy! Happy Holidays to you all.

BTW I saw Mercury (the Queen Tribute band endorsed by Jer) in concert last night! Wow! Fabulous! They really rocked the house! I thoroughly enjoyed my little self! :-)

Bye for now, peeps !

Attachment: 20194191165509944.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 40 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure if that worked! Let's try again!

Attachment: 20194191211853178.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 20 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me know if it works! For me it says "file wont open"! Mystery to me!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Once more ....

Attachment: 20194191880704887.JPG 972 KB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

FreddieDarling