Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 582 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FINALLY! It worked! Phew! Didn't take that long to take the photo!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling I was able to view all of the photos lol....you nutter. I was black at first but then loaded up your photo. I think it's a great idea to put it onto canvas.

Glad you had a great time at the tribute act show.....I don't have anyone into queen like me so I can't go to any tribute acts lol

Did you buy the Freddie doll on e bay ?

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arrrr
it was black at first not i was black at first

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, nice photo! I saw a Queen tribute band (a different one, though) a few years ago, and although it was perfectly decent, I couldn’t quite get into it for some reason. Glad you had a blast.

Doughnut, don’t let the lack of company stop you from going to shows. I had a similar problem, so I just started going alone and it’s great. You can be completely immersed in the music without worrying about anyone else (and it’s not like you can have a conversation during a show anyway, so it’s really not a big deal).

Villers, I’m sorry about your misfortunes. First a cold and now a kidney stone? Damn. Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the subject of Freddie and gay marriage…I doubt he ever seriously considered it as it was so out of the realm of possibility when he was alive. Not only in a political sense, but also due to the effect something like that would have had on his career had it been an option. Not to even mention his parents’ feelings.

But as someone has mentioned, A LOT has changed in this regard since then, and it’s impossible to predict what Freddie would be like now. Not only has society changed, but he himself would have undoubtedly changed as a person in these 30 years. One thing I find interesting, thought, is that, despite his apparent traditional leanings, he felt comfortable using marriage terminology in his gay relationships (calling Jim his husband) and even enacted marriage rituals (the ring). He probably wouldn’t have done that had he felt marriage as concept was, in a moral sense (for lack of a better term), completely irreconcilable with non-hetero relationships. Naturally, I could be completely wrong about this.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It opened for me the first time, and it’s beautiful. Worthy of painting in oils

FreddieDarling wrote:

Not sure if that worked! Let's try again!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes! So it did open for other people?! Oops! My apologies for boring you all to a stupor! It was my bloody photo, so God knows why it wasn't opening the file for me! Grrrrr!

Doughnut, I'm sure if you went alone to a Queen tribute concert you'd still have a blast. You'd have a lot in common with those around you and probably get chatting.

I commissioned 5 wooden spoons with members of Queen etched on with a pyrography pen (burns the design into the wood) the artist Stuart Faulkner did a fabulous job. There was a Freddie, Brian, John, Roger and a Spike for their keyboard player.:-) if anyone wants to see I can post a photo of them (in only _one_ post, hopefully! LOL!)

It's their 20th anniversary of touring which is why I treated them to these spoons.

We also had a photo mug printed for their lively tea-man and Merchandise seller "H". The band posted a photo of him dressed in the crown and gown regalia so we had that printed on!

My sister also bought plectrums, plectrum cases. Guitar spoons and a drummer T Shirt for them ! Great night!

Doughnut, no haven't bought little Freddie yet, the auction ends in Sunday. If I don't get him there's one available to buy from Japan, but that could incur extra import taxes. Also it's more than I REALLY wanted to pay! I want this boy! :-)

Have you seen the new bust if Freddie? Hmmm. I'm not mega impressed. :-/ yet again, facially the sculpture doesn't really resemble Freddie, just a feller with short hair and a moustache. This one looks like he has bags under his eyes!

Have a great Friday/Saturday, peeps!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers, I do hope you recover soon. Kidney stones can be a nasty business.

Poor old Samuel Pepys had one surgically removed (sans anaesthetic, of course!), left him with a hole that wouldn't heal in his scrotum for the rest of his life!

Thank God for modern medicine!

Was that too much information for everyone?

Sometimes I'm told that I fall prey to T.M.I. :-/

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling - your picture downloaded for me on the first try - it would be gorgeous on canvas - absolutely beautiful - I am so envious - I have been in love with the city of London since I was a teen - always wanted to visit but don't know if I will ever get that opportunity. I would love to see a picture of your spoons if you are willing to share.

doughnut - smiled when you commented on Viiliers accent since I don't hear an accent :)

Thor and Lee - hope all is well as you're enjoying this holiday weekend!! Hope the weather is better on the west coast than it is on the east coast!!

Viiliers - sent some good vibes your way - didn't catch your live last night, but glad you felt good enough to chat.

Happy weekend to all - another work week in the books!!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, I don't even have a scrotum, yet I started having sympathetic pains after that story! Oh my word!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 19, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, I saw your photo on the first try, and it's lovely. Definitely would look good on canvas. I'd also like to see the wooden spoons.

Villiers, I must have missed something. Didn't know you were dealing with kidney stones, but I hope that resolves soon. Good luck!

Thor and Lee, hope you are having a good time!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully !!! Here are my wooden spoons (well, they belong to the band members if Mercury now)

Spike is simply wonderful, I think.

Attachment: 20194201120897415.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 34 time(s).

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

love the wooden spons

I hear a definite accent when I listen to Villiers talk. :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing the spoons! I admire anyone who has artistic talent as I have absolutely none.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd,But everyone Is good at something. You have a way with words .Before joining this thread your posts were the ones I was reading that prompted me to join.

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just though I'd say here in little old Essex in the UK it's been hot hot hot. I get very happy when it's hot. I am a little pink lol

Do you have Easter in your countries ? sorry if I am being dumb lol

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut...I live in the US, and yes, we celebrate Easter here. Easter is the most important religious holiday for many Christian denominations. Easter church services are usually very joyful. A fun tradition is for children to receive Easter baskets at home, delivered by the Easter Bunny while you are sleeping. The baskets are often filled with chocolate eggs and jelly beans and maybe some Peeps (colorful cute chicks or bunnies made of marshmallow). Easter egg hunts are also very popular...our church is having one after Mass this Sunday...but it is not necessarily a church activity. Our local Medical Center has a huge Easter egg hunt on their grounds with 10,000 eggs!

I love the story that Jamal Cooke (Kashmira's son) tells about getting the huge Easter egg from Freddie when he was a kid...it was bigger than he was. Knowing Freddie, it was made of Godiva Chocolate! I wonder how one begins to eat something that large? I guess you start with an ear like everyone else does! LOL

CHEVY...Yes, you are right...we are all good at something, have some skill or talent. It's not necessarily something that stands out to many...it might be just the way we quietly go about our day and make a difference with the people that we love.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm guessing you'd have to take a hammer to a chocolate egg of that size! Let's hope they were playing Hammer To Fall when they cracked it! :-)

In the Daily Mail today there was an article about a young girl who's class bought duck eggs from the supermarket and they had a incubating them, and this little girls hatched out into the sweetest little duckling! Bless! What a lucky duck !

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Rainbow I can just image what an easter egg from Freddie would have been like...nom nom. As FreddieDarling said, we would probably have needed a hammer to crack it ....I'm laughing to myself typing this.

FreddieDarling, every year at my daughters school they get chick eggs and wait for them to hatch. All of the children love it and one lucky family gets to bring them home for a weekend before they have to leave. I have a crazy dog so you can imagine my relief when my daughters name wasn't picked out of the hat.

Rainnow Easter sounds such fun where you live. The easter bunny comes to my house too although I feel this is the last year :( My youngest is 11 and will be attending big school in September so she will soon forget about all these lovely things. Santa, tooth fairy etc etc.

I'm thinking of chartering a private jet to join in your local medical center's high eater easter egg hunt. because just wow ...10,000 eggs . Where in the US do you live so I can tell the pilot ? ;)

What was I thinking, christian denominations aren't just for the UK....DOH.....I get so confused as there are just so many different religions .

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

please excuse my spelling....I type fast and assume I have typed what I intended :)