Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

please excuse my spelling....I type fast and assume I have typed what I intended :)

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I am the Emperor of Typos! You're occasional little finger glitches are rare. You need Alan Turing to crack some of my coded gibberish!

Aaah, I'd have loved to have hatched an egg(in an incubator, you understand, not by me sitting on it!)

The best we did was grow mustard and dress in an egg shell with a face drawn on it with felt tip pen !

We did always end up with the school guinea pigs every school holiday ! And we had the school gerbil, Sandy one year!! Probably because we had a menagerie of our own !

Animals! The purest spirits on the planet! God bless em all!

Daily Mail!again! There is a donkey who measures 16h 3 (that's 5ft 7 inches in "old money") to the Withers! That is a BLOODY BIG donkey! Donkey Kong!! :-0

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I eat a Lindt bunny I start at the pompom furst!. Am I strange?

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*first!

See, Doughnut, don't worry, matey. My typos are Legion! For they are many!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*mustard and CRESS, not dress! Damnit! :-(

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, thanks so much for the compliment! That was nice to hear.

I've always wished I was more crafty. I have friends who get together to make things...……..and they invite me to watch. LOL, they know me well.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We have Easter in Russia too:) But it's on a different date, April 28 this year. Russian branch of Christianity is called Eastern Orthodox Church, and it celebrates Christmas and Easter on different dates than in western countries. Christmas is on January 7.
For Easter, it's a tradition to dye eggs.

Also, there are many other religions other than Christianity in Russia, and many people don't celebrate Christian holidays.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just looked back at my "Freddie Mercury's Royal Recipes" cookbook...the one that Peter Freestone wrote. He said:

"As most of you know, Freddie loved the various seasonal festivities. While not at the top of the list, Easter could be great fun. It was almost a case of "my egg is bigger than yours" from childhood, coming around all over again. Of course no one ever bettered the eggs that Freddie gave to his friends, usually from Godiva in Mayfair. Over the years we tried the usual Easter specialties, Hot Cross Buns and Simnel Cake which always went down well, probably appreciated more by Freddie's guests, than Freddie himself."

Peter's cookbook is filled with many great stories like this. This is one of my favorite Freddie books!

I had no idea what a Simnel Cake was...Peter described it as a "rich fruit cake with a fairly large amount of marzipan baked in it." I've never had marzipan either. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't marzipan more of a European treat?

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Did you ever receive a Godiva Easter Egg from Freddie?

How will you spend Easter?

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow 61 - your description of the holiday was spot on. I would like to add that it is also a time for our extended family to gather for a celebration that includes lots of food and drink!! I am not sure if this is a tradition for everyone on Easter, but we sure enjoy it!!

FreddieDarling - the spoons are definitely not for cooking:) A very unique piece of artwork.

Happy Saturday to everyone - I need to get started on making my own Easter baskets.

Just a thought - I don't think there is any "right" way to eat a chocolate Easter bunny - but the ears are just too tempting not to bite off!!

How about a chocolate Freddie? Could we even take a bite of it?:)

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow, thanks for the description of a simnel cake. I had never heard of it, but I think I would like it. I'm one of those people who actually likes fruit cake, and I also like marzipan, so it would be something I would like. I don't eat sweets very often, but I have to have Cadbury Crème Eggs at Easter! I got a pack to put into my grandkids' Easter baskets. Sadly for them, the eggs disappeared before I put the baskets together. Oh well, they will never know.

The only candy I knew Freddie liked was that Quality Street candy. There is a picture of him with a big jar of it one Christmas. I happened to find it in The Vermont Country Store catalog so I got some for Christmas this year. The kids called it Freddie's Candy. It's fun because every piece is different.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marzipan is gorgeous! Tastes of sweet almonds! Yum! I could, if I allowed myself, just sit and pinch off nibble size pieces of a block of it.

Don't you have rich fruit Christmas cakes in the U.S. with a layer of marzipan and then icing and decorations ?

Isn't it funny the things you take for granted as being universal which actually aren't?!

How to eat a chocolate Freddie! Lick him very slowly! :-) *dirty laugh*

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 22:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My eldest sister has worked at Cadbury's for 30 years!

I love Cadbury's Creme Eggs, too. I have to eat them alone I secret! I like the lockout the gooey fondant! NOT a pretty sight!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like Rudi Dolezal's is also planning to come out with book about Freddie also maybe a documentary.

https://metalheadzone.com/queen-singer-freddie-mercurys-tragic-last-words-to-his-assistant-revealed/

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, nothing like waiting for the last moment for scheduling news...LOL

Lee and I are hoping that Villiers is well enough to have the live this Monday. I believe the UN-confirmed time at this point is 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time. (London time would be 9PM) If she needs until Tuesday to recover, that would work as well. I hope to get back to San Diego sometime Tuesday evening or late evening.
I can't imagine not having a date and time set by tomorrow.

Thanks All,
I am preparing for the live and will not be able to offer any comments or answer questions until I am back in San Diego.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry about that Thor try and have a Happy Easter guy!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 19, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would like to share this milestone with you wonderful people - I made it to Easter this year without purchasing or consuming a single Cadbury egg! I typically indulge non-stop with the evil things, but I'm trying to get into better physical shape for a vacation in Arizona 8 weeks from now. Being able to resist Cadbury eggs, Reeses eggs, and jelly beans may be an indication that I've achieved adulthood (at the tender age of 60). No temptation with "Peeps" for me. They remind me of stale marshmallows that got dropped in the sand.

Posted: 21 Apr 19, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, the only fruitcakes I've seen here are just plain with no icing, and no marzipan.

BQK, I'm bad with the Reese's Peanut Butter eggs too. I like to put them in the freezer and tell myself they won't be such a temptation if I have to wait to thaw one out. Not so, they are delicious frozen. As for peeps, I like them but only if the package has been opened, they've sat on the counter for days and are hard and chewy. They do have cotton candy flavored Peeps this year though and I know my grandkids got me some. I will probably love them.

thundergod

Posted: 21 Apr 19, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure I understand what you meant CHEVY. I am perfectly healthy and will, I'm sure have a very nice Easter.
Villiers is the one who is sick if that is what you meant by "TRY to have a happy Easter."

thundergod

Posted: 21 Apr 19, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hummm…"I am sure I will have a nice Easter."