Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I remember you telling a story about Freddie flying a friend of yours from Houston for the weekend during a time when there was a paralyzing snow storm in NYC. You were all invited to Freddie's place and you concluded the story with "All went out in the snow to have some winter fun" .

So Thor and Lee....what was the "winter fun"? Snowball fights? LOL It didn't seem like Freddie was a fan of cold weather...do you recall anything he said about winter...snow? Did he appreciate the beauty of winter during a snowstorm? Watching it storm from the vantage of his high rise apartment and seeing snowflakes illuminated by the city lights must have been glorious!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Katydyd,
Lee used to be the manager of catering for Dreamworks (Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffen). He resigned from that job in LA and
moved to Palm Springs. He is now the manager of the evening shift of a major, nationwide supermarket. He is well loved at his
job because of his natural skills, friendliness and interest in his customers.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,
HaHa, you caught me. I said "all", but it really should have read "all except Freddie and Phoebe." Yes, Freddie hated the cold, but loved the
view of the city from the windows of his warm apartment..

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flash Elephant,
So sorry you do not like the new thread.But Lee and I like it a lot.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Thor...although I was hoping you had some great story about Freddie making snowballs and playfully pelting you guys in the back. LOL.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hey Katydyd,
Lee used to be the manager of catering for Dreamworks (Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffen). He resigned from that job in LA and
moved to Palm Springs. He is now the manager of the evening shift of a major, nationwide supermarket. He is well loved at his
job because of his natural skills, friendliness and interest in his customers.

Oh I'll bet that DreamWorks job was fascinating. I can imagine how well loved he is at the job now. He's got a great sense of humor and I suspect he can be fun on the job. Thanks for answering.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, Hopefully Lee can fill in more for you about Dreamworks.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know who Else could write a great book?? Jim Beach!! Or even JOHN Reid????

Still wrestling w the Mary angle........I get that she was his first Love, I get the mutual 'use of each other , Jim claims Guilt is what motivated Freddie"s Loyalty....But her demeanor post Freddie is most baffling!!
Lee....any thoughts you'd like to share????

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Morning All.

Gonna try and catch up. The questions that were directed at the both of us? I agree with Thor. The first time I saw Queen I was like OMG. I hadn't seen a rock group since college days in the early 70's. The production values were ten fold by the 80's. After knowing Freddie before the concert, I was thrilled t see my friend up there making magic happen for thousands of people. I think my first concert was at the Arena in the Meadowlands outside NYC.
The four of us traveled with Phoebe and Freddie in a limo. As we were were pulling in the back stage door garage, people were screaming "Freddie, Freddie, Freddie" as they were peering through windows, trying to decided which mustached person behind the darkened windows was Freddie. As we stepped out of the car, Freddie turned to me and said "Kathleen, Kathleen, Kathleen". Such fun.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RE: The Queen Movie coming out 12/18, Dexter Fletcher is taking over the director's job, but alledgedly there is only a couple of more weeks of filming left.
Has anyone googled the cast on IDMB.Com? There are some random individuals form the New York days listed, which makes it appear like they are summing up those few years with a couple of characters. It WILL be interesting to see what they do with the Mary character. A couple of you have asked my opinion about her. I found here to be quite aloof. Not rude or unpleasant in any way, and I didn't feel like she was avoiding us, but..........it wasn't the connection that we had with Joe and Phoebe.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't remember the AIDS concert being shown in the states. Sounds like it would have been, right? A lot of it was staged during the daylight hours which means that it would have been morning here. Maybe not as popular a time to show it? Maybe they showed it in the evening at a later date? There was an American concert as well, as you know, and I remember that it WAS a big deal that Phil Collins was going to perform in London and one of the US venues. It was Phil Collins, right? I just read that the concert was viewed in 110 nations. I was working evenings as well, and VCR madness hadn't really happened in my world yet.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops Lee, Live Aid (for starving people in the world), not AIDS concert.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove wrote
Sounds like there might be a story behind "The Women" movie?????

There is a fun story. Seeing Freddie really, laugh at something, or truly enjoy something common place was always refreshing. He LOVED that movie. It isn't hysterical in its entirety, and there is some drawn out exposition that is needed for the story, but when it is funny, it is VERY funny.
Freddie would quote lines from it, and hit repeat to show us a scene again. This is gonna sound corny, but not every home had a VCR in the early 80's so it was a treat to have one to enjoy. There is a short version and a long version. There's a fun treat in the long version that George Cukor stuck in that is different.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61
Unfortunately our English Friends didn't fancy a romp in the snow.....LOL.....
We did though.
It was a HUGE storm, and the snow banks fro the plows made it impossible to cross the street. You literally had to climb up one somehow, and then find a way to get down the other side. New Yorkers REALLY got together, I recall, to make it a special day. Everyone was helping each other, and thrilled to have an adult snow day. People were spray painting little scenes on the side of the huge snowbanks. I MUST dig those photos out. The fact that we were able to get from Greenwich Village by subway made it easy for us to get to the Sovereign. That was the name of the Co Op building where Freddie lived. Actually, I don't remember if his place was a Cop Op OR a Condo.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm flattered to have been asked about working at DreamWorks.
After being a singing waiter for years.....(we would do four to five 45 minute shows a night, WHILE waiting tables). It was crazy but it was a money maker. I bring it up because that is how I got to know the restaurant business inside and out. Not having to perform AND wait tables made a waitering job a breeze in comparison, and let me have my free time, when needed to skip out of town for a break, and/or play with my friends. Thor and I use to go somewhere every 6 to 8 weeks, to get out of town. We finally decided to "get out of town" and moved to California. I told everyone, including myself that I was only going for six months. That was 1984. Other than a couple of years living in Provincetown MA., to get it out of my system, I am still in sunny California......but I'm digressing. More and more restaurant work lead to my fine dining stint at the best restaurant in San Diego, at the time, and later to my "Catering Career". DreamWorks was amazing. I was the Food and Beverage Director in charge of all things food. That involved 12,000 meals a week for the employees, and 26 Coffee Kitchens. YIKES. It was always fun to Cater to the stars, and I often wished that Freddie would have been able to come and visit. From Bradgelina to Jerry Seinfeld, they came and went, and everyone was great and appreciative.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SOOOOOOOO I guess I don't need another cup of coffee. LOL......I'll try harder to keep up with posts as they come in, instead of taking the thread prisoner when I'm not working. I got on a roll there.

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

Freddie had such a great sense of humor... I can just hear him saying "Kathleen, Kathleen, Kathleen" with a big grin on his face!

Such interesting stories...by the way, I love it when you get on a roll! You are still working, so however and whenever you choose to answer these questions is greatly appreciated.

What kind of songs did you do as a singing waiter? Whew...Sounds challenging to both sing and wait tables.

So if we look carefully at the credits rolling at the end of certain movies, might we possibly see your name roll by? :)

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Over the past few months as the two of you have discussed this thread, did you ever discover you had very different points of view or recollections about certain events? If so, do you care to share?

Would you say you both spent roughly an equal amount of time with Freddie, or did career requirements or differences in schedules mean one of you was available more often than the other?

Thanks again to you both for this delightful "conversation" you have allowed all of us to participate in. Everyday I look forward to new tidbits of info nestled in the truly remarkable experiences you both have shared with us... and for that I feel truly grateful!

Kismet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kismet
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

was freddie really as "well endowed" as people made out on "Freddie's Loves"? or is it a case of blowing it out of all proportion cuz he was a celebrity? both thor and phoebe freestone said it so I don't feel too ashamed about asking.

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove wrote:

You know who Else could write a great book?? Jim Beach!! Or even JOHN Reid????

Still wrestling w the Mary angle........I get that she was his first Love, I get the mutual 'use of each other , Jim claims Guilt is what motivated Freddie"s Loyalty....But her demeanor post Freddie is most baffling!!
Lee....any thoughts you'd like to share????

He'd definitely loved others before her! But yeah I agree with the fact they were mutually beneficial to each other...it's not the slushy love story portrayed in certain books and documentaries. You don't have to know them personally to work this out.