Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I probably overreacted too. I'm sorry sweetandtender. I just didn't understand the need to hide who you are but looking back at the heat you got for the page it's no wonder you did what you did. I might have too. I'm sorry.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM if you don't mind my asking how many signed copies of his book did Jim give you? Did Villiers get her signed copy from you? She showed us her signed Freddie book collection once and we all flipped out. I saw one for sale once but I found the listing after it had already closed. What else did Jim leave you with I wonder?

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Random things Jim had bought for Mr Mercury over the years. Before Ms Austin changed her mind she let them go in the house and take back the items they bought for him. They didn't get to take everything they were told they could but Jim gave me some of the records he got for him that Mr Mercury kept in the house and some books and things people may call knickknacks. I have about 8 signed copies from Jim. He was nice enough to give us a number of them for our friends and some never got sent out.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dougnut,

I really like Brian, but he even admits in that clip that he some times tires of his own solos. It is funny that is been universally accepted for almost 40 years that Bri's solos aren't exactly the high point of any Queen show, but he continues to do them . One of the funnier lines in Ratty's book was "I was a young man when Brian May started his solo..".

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin no I have not given one to any Queen fans in many years. Although Jim signed a good number of them for promo when the book was realised and again during Queen conventions. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find one signed or ask Villiers where she obtained hers. Jim made friends with countless fans she may have asked him to sign her copy. He took to sending letters and photos to fans and friends as well. Just a nice bloke. I still have his Christmas letters with some photos of his garden in Ireland. He was quite proud of it.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guess What Day it is?????
Huuump Daaay....Yeah!!!!!

SM....i started this Freddie Love Journey many years ago. And my love for Freddie is as strong as ever! But I think the Biggest surprise for me, so far, is how much I have come to love Jim!! Thank you for sharing your Jim stories with us....and being his champion!!! I've Always wanted to give Phoebe a hug......but now I wish I could hug Jim too!!
And You!!!
Have a Fab day!!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey SM, I may have missed some information when you first joined in. Well, missed or forgotten! I have so much Freddie related stuff filed in my brain it's amazing there is room for anything else. I believe you said you worked security at Garden Lodge??? How long were you there? What did your job include? What kind of records did Jim buy for Freddie? I appreciate your stories about Jim. He's always seemed such a nice man and you've added to that perception.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was hired by Mr Beach for security at the garden lodge. Basically all we did was monitor the grounds outside and the garden. We were given strict instructions as to who were allowed inside the house and when. Lots of Aretha Franklin records and some gospel sounding stuff I wasn't too familiar with. Jim said Mr Mercury once expressed a desire to record with a gospel choir but he never knew if he was serious or if it was passing comment since the sound seemed pretty different than the Queen sound. It would have been interesting I'm sure.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 903 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sm, His voice was absolutely beautiful .I think he would have sang till his voice bleed if he had too.Noone can match it .

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM, I can picture Freddie recording with a Gospel choir. I don't think we can even begin to imagine what he might have done musically had he not been gone so young. One more question. I recently saw some pictures of Garden Lodge that must have been taken after Freddie was gone. There are children's toys in the yard, although I do think Thor said there was a swingset there the last time they visited Freddie, so who knows when they were taken. Anyway, I noticed what appear to be security cameras on the outside walls of the home. I don't recall seeing them before, but maybe I never saw pictures from the correct angle. If the cameras on the home came after Freddie's time, were you there when they were installed? There must have been a command center inside the home to view the images from the cameras. Did you ever see that?

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They did have cameras there but I was not involved or oversee the installation.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Were the camers temporary or permanent from that point on SM?

back.chat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been reading here for a while and think it's time to join in.

SM: Thank you for sharing your memories of Jim, Joe and Phoebe. I think Freddie would have done wonderful if he ever got to record with a gospel choir. Queen has some songs that gently touch the 'black' music genre and he also did some songs with a choir for the Barcelona album. A pity he didn't get to carry out that plan, if he was really serious about it.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't imagine the few cameras they had some 20+ years ago being permanent fixtures. The equipment we had for home security back then was rather large and bulky. Mr Beach was concerned after rumors of some extremist fans wanting to force entry started circulating so he did have something put up as an extra set of eyes. Back then the camera quality was very low and made it hard to distinguish faces. I know the original set of equipment they used did not last long.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you see the cats pretty often? Animals tend to know when their owners are missing. I wonder if you noticed anything like that with Freddie's pets.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did see the cats around the house and in the garden. One would often wander off beyond the gate but seemed to know his way back. A big yellow or orange cat if memory serves. Some had no interest in walking about outside and others did. I'm afraid I couldn't tell you if they sensed a difference in the home but they all greeted the lads warmly when I saw them.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 132 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy hump day to everyone - although it is still morning here - I have quite a ways to go before getting over the hump!!

Sm - as many have stated - much gratitude for sharing your stories - they truly are sincere and heartwarming.

About the security and cameras - although not mentioned -with the cameras in place, the house was under 24-hour surveillance - a list was given provided of who was to permit to enter the premises - am I wrong in thinking this was a pretty short list?

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 903 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with you katydyd freddy was taken so young he was my age.I was 18 when he passed.He had so much music left in him didnt he? I would love to hear him sing some gospel music.Elvis did why not Freddie.He was a Legend and Queens music will live on forever.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN, I didn't fully understand your reply, hope you understood that it's not MY opinion that those photos are photoshop or photomontage.
I was just trying to provide some context as to where some of the crazy ideas that can be found on the internet probably stem from.

Hope I didn't bore everyone with my lengthy description of the things happening in Russia.

Anyway, I do have one unanswered question, it was about a guy called Tony King.
@Thor, just wondering if he is the guy you mentioned?

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes we were made aware of who was allowed into the property day by day. Most people who were given access were only allowed that access on certain days for certain times.