Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes we were made aware of who was allowed into the property day by day. Most people who were given access were only allowed that access on certain days for certain times.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shaun hi hope you are well

May I ask a question? There is a YouTube of what is said to be Freddie playing 'send in the clowns ' on piano. It is said that Freddie did this for jim after a particularly bad argument. This is apparently Jim's fav so Freddie learnt it and recorded it as a peace offering .

Did Jim ever mention this as it would be nice to know that it is genuine.

If it is it's a real eye opener and very sweet and loving of Freddie ?

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi SM,

I apologize if this has been asked before....During the time you were at Garden Lodge, were there many fans stopping by, standing outside of the gate to take in the atmosphere of just being there or maybe leaving a note on the fence wall etc. Did you ever have a chance to chat with any of the fans...if so, what was your impression of them?

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russia, I understood what You said Its just crazy to me how someone could lower themselves to do or say such things when they arent true.I know I'm guilty of the same with my comments on Mary Austin but most of my comments are backed by facts.I sure would never say their relationship never existed in some form even if it weren't a romantic connection on Freddie's part.The relationship still existed.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Emdee,
You had a question back on pg.225

At first, when Freddie passed away, I made a conscious effort to suppress memories because they were too painful.. Because of this, over the next few years, I put these memories away in a not so easily accessible area of my brain. More time passed and the detailed memories of Freddie seemed to be lost. Twenty five years later, I discovered QueenZone and the memories became clearer, sharper and more pleasant thanks to all of you wonderful QZ people. Most of you super fans know so much more about Freddie and his history than I did.
This place has been a learning site for me, and a place where Freddie is alive once more!

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, It seems like alot of you guys had trouble dealing with his death .He was so young exactly my age.That is way too young.Im glad you can recall fun times again and connect on this forum I hope it helps.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor....my question from 223 kind of piggybacks with Emdee's re: Most memory evoking place in NYC. Thanks. :)

I guess your place is all dried out now?

thundergod

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RussiaLand,
Yes, exactly. The man I was referring to was Tony King. Thank you.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I asked a question. Did John Murphy visit Freddie in 1986 or is that made up ?

Also when you got home after you first time meeting Freddie , did you think 'omg I've spent the night with Freddie Mercury ' or did you not really know who he was ?.

thundergod

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,
Sorry you never got an answer to that question. Unfortunately, most of the "haunts" we used to go to in New York no longer exist. So I will answer your question in two ways. First, the place that no longer exists and second, the place that does.

OK, going out to the most popular gay dance club in New York during that time period called "The Saint" was very memorable. I have described this place before with it's actual planetarium machine in the center of the dance floor and it's domed roof to catch all the stars, asteroids, comets and planets. Freddie would not dance, but he loved the atmosphere there anyway.

Of places that still exist, you can just ask JoT. I sent her to a small West Village bar named "Tys" on her recent trip to N.Y. Freddie liked the old-time, neighborhood feel AND the HOT men that frequented it. I was recently there myself and the place literally has not changed one bit in 35 years. In that unchanged ambiance, it is easy to picture Freddie still flirting with one of the attractive barmen (bartenders in this country.)

thundergod

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey doughnut,

John Murphy had moved to LA to be with his lover in 1984. He did not go with us to London in 1986. I think the last time he saw Freddie was in New York in 1983 with Lee, Joe and myself, just before Freddie moved out of New York.

The other question...darn, I have to say, "see the book"...sorry.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dam Thor I knew you would say wait for you book lol

Thank you , that's one thing cleared up as some books /documentaries suggest Freddie had a visit where John told Freddie he had aids !! Where do these people get this false information from ...the mind boggles

thundergod

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh.... easy! These people just make it up!

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM :. That lovely orange cat was Freddie's lovely ginger tom Oscar (who left awhile after Freddie passed away) Fredie claimed custody of him after he and his then partner Tony Bastin broke up. Mr. Bastin was unfaithful and Freddie summoned him to the U.S. via Concord, thempn promptly dumped him and sent him back via economy class flight! But told him to leave Oscar as he wanted to keep him!! Wow! I love Freddie to bits, but if he tried to steal my pussycat (my child as I see her) he'd have needed those boxing skills! :-) LOL !

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why make it up?Dont they know people will dig up the truth.What a shame they have nothing better to write about.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think somewhere like Newyork would be interesting.I have been outside the the state of Oklahoma only twice.The town I live in has one grocery store a post office a McDonald's and that's about it.I sure never been to any clubs I would have to have several drinks before I walked in the door The more I drink the more I talk.

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think somewhere like Newyork would be interesting.I have been outside the the state of Oklahoma only twice.The town I live in has one grocery store a post office a McDonald's and that's about it.I sure never been to any clubs I would have to have several drinks before I walked in the door The more I drink the more I talk.

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ChevyMan, the great mystery to me is why do people just drink this stuff up? So someone writes a book and claims that Freddie got HIV from John Murphy who got it from Gaetan Dugas. Anybody with half a brain knows that the authors just made this up. (With modern biotech and the right blood samples one could prove this wrong, but I digress.) Now this book must sell, as I keep hearing about it on this site and it exists in an Audible version.

So now Thor and Lee have written a truthful book with new photos, and the publishers aren’t climbing all over each other for the rights to this? I hope it sells great. That would restore my faith a bit in people’s desire to know the truth.

So yeah, people who come here can easily dig up the truth that John Murphy and Freddie were only ever friends, but it does seem that made-up gossip sells.

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry friends but this is Mr Thor and Mr Lee's page. I don't mind answering a handful of questions here but I don't wish to take their spotlight so I'm going to skip the last few. Hope you understand.

Cheers

thundergod

Posted: 24 Apr 19, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Shaun,
Don't be angry at us, but Lee and I give you FULL PERMISSION to share our site with whatever our wonderful community here would like to have answered. We insist on
sharing our platform for people like yourself who have SO much to offer ALL of us!