Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I would love to go to a restaurant with singing wait-staff. But so far, the only thing even close to that has been at The Hard Rock Cafe, where every hour, all the staff climbed on top of the bar and sang YMCA!!!! It was such a hoot, and everybody joined in and started clapping and dancing!
One question - when you took care of the catering, did any of the stars you met mention Freddie at all? Any interesting comments?

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow
We mostly performed show music....we would do all the hits from popular Broadway shows that were crowd pleasers. We also did a 30's show of standards, a 60's music review, etc: but the biggest hit was always the 50's show, 'cause we would get dressed up.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Captainjory makes a good point. I got the impression that Freddie and Mary were soul mates. They connected in a way that few do. As I mentioned in Freddie's Loves, Jim was the closest we ever saw to someone coming into Freddie's life, and becoming as special to him, as Mary was.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Captainjory makes a good point. I got the impression that Freddie and Mary were soul mates. They connected in a way that few do. As I mentioned in Freddie's Loves, Jim was the closest we ever saw to someone coming into Freddie's life, and becoming as special to him, as Mary was.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 3533 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

noorie wrote:

Lee, I would love to go to a restaurant with singing wait-staff. But so far, the only thing even close to that has been at The Hard Rock Cafe, where every hour, all the staff climbed on top of the bar and sang YMCA!!!! It was such a hoot, and everybody joined in and started clapping and dancing!
One question - when you took care of the catering, did any of the stars you met mention Freddie at all? Any interesting comments?

HARD ROCK cafe?

YMCA?

that sounds horrifying. Not even close to the genre. But hey. ...money money money.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jumping back a bit to Rainbow61 question. It was funny the catering department were NEVER mentioned in any of the credits. In Animated features EVERYONE is given a credit, who worked at the studio, whether or not they even came close to working on the film. I worked on over 20 films........definitely most of DreamWorks' repertoire, and though I had a fan base, my name never appeared.

Never spoke to any of the "talent" about Freddie, but there sure was an audience for my Freddie experiences.........for sure. I worked with close to 2,000 people. That meant a LOT of fans.

I'm off to my only Holiday Party for the season.......Its got an early start.

More Later, of course.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing about DreamWorks. I think I would be star struck in that situation, but I guess you would get used to it. Lee, would you consider yourself a foodie? Do you cook? Was the singing waiter stint in Provincetown? I've been there twice for the ever famous whale watch tours, and I found the town charming. I remember one great independent book store with a really nice selection.. Obviously you must prefer the West Coast, but as an original East Coast inhabitant, now in the Midwest, I like the pace and progressive feel to the East. I've been to CA, and enjoyed it, but not sure I'd want to live there. Then again, right after my divorce, I wanted to skip town and open a shop in Mendocino, so who knows. I digress.

Live Aid was so long ago, but I seem to remember it being live, switching back and forth from the US to Britain. Didn't Freddie choose the time they were to be on stage specifically so that it would be shown in t he US too? I introduced myself on Thor's original thread by saying the Live Aid performance woke me up to Queen. Of course I knew who they were, but seeing Freddie power on to that stage and own it was incredible. I still watch the YouTube video of the performance on a regular basis.

The Kathleen, Kathleen, Kathleen story is cute. I love a good sense of humor!

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

HARD ROCK cafe?

YMCA?

that sounds horrifying. Not even close to the genre. But hey. ...money money money.

I know!!!! That's why it was so hilarious, and oddly a lot of fun! Perhaps it was meant to be ironic..?

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee and Thor... What do you recall about the New York condo? I am curious about square footage and number of beds / baths, but would like to hear about anything prominent in your mind. Thor mentioned the presence of flowers previously. Do you recall any other decor tidbits? I also think Thor said everyone went to their respective homes after partying (not positive about that), but wonder if there was ever the occasional crash at Freddie's place. Thanks again for being here. I really appreciate everyone here who is kind and peaceful.

BETA215 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr. BETA will take care of you
BETA215
Deity: 2637 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't forget my collection of demos and outtakes: http://goo.gl/uQARhn

PM me if you want any [leaked] multitrack.

Ya se ven los tigres en la lluvia.
captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee Kathleen Nolan wrote:

At least with Freddie and Jim there didn't seem to be the guilt thing going on. Phoebe heavily implies Freddie was constantly compensating Mary out of guilt and that was the basis of their long friendship. He basically said it wasn't healthy lol

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well isn't THAT special. Ignore and isolate.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not you captainjory

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, the vid above is quite amusing, whatever the poster meant by it - it's Freddie singing in his house and the title is just what he was singing! Click bait I guess!

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes it's Freddie singing exactly what the title says but TRUST ME the first time I saw that title on YouTube I was pissed too lol. But it's just Freddie joking around. I bet the sounds of his laugh in that video bring back some memories for y'all

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, I guess I jumped the gun, I don't like to see the word "fag", sorry.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me either. My friends always joke around and ask if it's ok if they use the word, and I always say no. I know they don't mean anything by it, but it's still offensive to me.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Villiers...I agree.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even in gay liberal New York, Fag was still occasionally yelled from passing cars. I HATED that!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee and Thor.....(for Lee when he returns from party)
Speaking of starstruck......do u remember if Freddie was ever starstruck....and if so..by who?? Or could u think of anyone who might possibly have made him feel that way??
And contrary to a Previous post....i think this thread is amazing!!! THANK you both for sharing!! Xoxo