Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shaun....Mr Thundergod with muscles .....I love this :)

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are correct TammieNorie,
But after 48 hours, we were much better suited to be friends than anything else.

thundergod

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of Norrie,
Does anyone know what has become of this thread's friend Norrie? She has been absent for way too long. I hope she is ok.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How dare work gets in the way of this forum!! I checked in before work to comment and I come home and find myself 4 pages behind!

I agree with so many of you, the Mary issue will always be a hot button topic. I trust those with first-hand experiences with her - and from those, I will form my own opinion.

The most shocking was the new book from someone from "an inner circle". Really - how absurd!!

Thor - hang in there - we got your back!!

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor 48 hours? Having seen the Freddie's loves thing and your original thread you said you guys had one night together and it was unsuccessful. This was actually something I've been meaning to ask you because a whioe back I noticed you went from saying 1 night to 2 nights. Am I missing something or misunderstand you on Freddie's loves and the first thread maybe?

thundergod

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin,
A 3AM morning actually in August 1980 and then followed by a night (technically that same day) in Philadelphia. So, let me change that to a TOTAL time period of about 32 hours. But, I did not have to clock-in and clock-out...LOL

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin you mean Thor may have spent two nights with Freddie lol

I wish we could use emoji on here to indicate how our post is meant lol

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you guys have really been going at it in the week I've been gone lol. I'll have to go back and reread everything more carefully sometime soon. Anyway, I'm glad your plumbing situation has been resolved, Thor! Also, it's been great seeing Shaun participating in the thread so actively. First hand stories are extremely valuable to all of us, so a big thank you to you sir.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone is being so cynical of Rudi Dolezal's upcoming book. He's very well known in the Queen community for interviewing Freddie several times in the 80s (including in the famous "musical prostitute" interview), for working with both Freddie and Queen on a number of video shoots throughout the years, and making the Untold Story documentary. My point is he must have got to know all of them well in all that time and might very well have interesting stories to share. Just because he wasn't a part of YOUR life with Freddie, Thor, doesn't mean he wasn't a part of it at all or that he has nothing worthy to say on the subject. I'm slightly disappointed by this attitude, especially since we've seen similar dismissive attitudes to Thor and Lee's book, and we know how unfair such judgements can be. I do admit it's a bit much to compare him to someone like Peter Freestone by calling him inner circle, but my general point still stands. I'm sorry if this comes across a bit harsh - it's not my intention to cause any bad blood - but I felt it needed to be said.

rennsage user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I can jump in, I think I remember Thor saying they met in a bar in NY and had one (successful) night together, and also talked a lot. And then Freddie went to do a concert (in Philly, I think?) and Thor surprised Freddie by showing up, they hung out after the concert, probably had a little too much to drink and then had an attempted, but unsuccessful second night.

And then became friends and the rest is history. :-)

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You didn't clock-in and clock-out, Thor? How dare you, sir! :-)

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala....yikes. I think you just jumped off the deep end a little bit. You know Thor's a grown man and doesn't need to be yelled at in caps right? Yeesh.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala the critical nature of the book is directed towards the blurb I shared . Did you see it ?
Thor is saying that Rudi was not part of Freddie life during the nyc period and the blurb suggests otherwise. From what I can gather Rudi came along after thor's time

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh boy. I'm slightly disappointed in your own attitude there Koala. Thor was close to Mr M and still didn't know of this guy. I don't think he was wrong in asking who he was and wishing him luck. The attitude toward him is definitely not necessary. Working with someone and being in the inner circle are two different things. I worked for Mr Beach but I sure wasn't in any inner circle. Having been friends with Jim and Thor with Mr Mercury and Mr Freestone...and none of them ever mentioned this fellow to either of us would lead any normal person to wonder who he is. If he knows them closely then fine. But you can't knock the lad for asking about something he didn't know. Leaves a foul taste in the mouth. Sorry.

Cheers

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem with Rudi's blurb that doughnut posted is mainly this, I think:

"...film director was not only the personal filmmaker of Freddie Mercury & Queen for over twenty years,...

He may very well have worked with Queen after Freddie's death (I'm sure he did) but this blurb implies he worked with and knew Freddie for over twenty years. As far as I know, his first meeting with Freddie was the "musical prostitute" interview, right? Wasn't that 1984? So he only knew Freddie (in mostly a professional capacity) for about 8 years at the most, from 1984-1991.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Dustin, I'm not sure why you would interpret my comment as "yelling". The one word in all caps was there for emphasis, since this board doesn't support any other stylistic tools. I just expressed my opinion in what I hope is a respectful way, and I'm certainly not angry or yelling at anyone. If that didn't come across originally, I'm sorry, and am stating it clearly here.

@Doughnut, I've seen the blurb, thanks for posting it. I agree that calling him inner circle is a bit much (probably there to signal that he knew him well), but other than that, I don't really see a problem.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shaun, my issue was not with Thor not knowing who he was and asking, but with what I (perhaps mistakenly) perceived to be negative attitude about him and the book (the woodwork comment). I realize things don't always translate well in writing, and it's possible I've misinterpreted what he meant, in which case I apologize.

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,I believe what you are saying to be true and I dont think you should have to keep justifying your relationship to Freddie with anyone.You have already explained it several times and that should be enough.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rennsage, I see what you mean and I agree that that's misleading and definitely not true (I seem to remember there being an interview from 1982 where Freddie's interviewed by him, but I'm not 100%. Either way, he definitely didn't know him for 20 years).

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie darling, noone is attacking you or upset at all I was just was stating a fact that I had said it in the past.I wont say it again because I do realise it wasnt a kind or proper thing to say .I just dont have a popular opinion when it comes to Mary she is a liar manipulator and road Freddie's skirt takes in my book.Everything she accused his dear friends of she was herself.I will stand by this and make no excuses for her.In return I wont make excuses for my behavior either the woman pisses me off.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala yes it's the 'knowing him for '20 years ' that is the sticking point but that probably hadn't even come from Rudi. It's probably dramatized to make sales !