Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala yes it's the 'knowing him for '20 years ' that is the sticking point but that probably hadn't even come from Rudi. It's probably dramatized to make sales !

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"You can trust me" wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but thanks for the answer.

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russualand Thor has already said that John Murphy moved away to be with his boyfriend and then Freddie left leaving Lee and Thor of the new York daughters. Thor has said that John was in love and none of them really saw Thor said he didn't visit . Tbh I did think it was a bit dramatic for John to fly to the UK just to tell Freddie he had aids.Also no-one else has ever mentioned a visit from John , I'm sure Jim or Peter would have said in their book.I only asked as I was curious

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spelling and grammar is bad , sorry it's auto correct

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would someone define for me the definition of "inner circle"? The connotation of that word to me means that there is an inclusive trust between all included in the circle.

I have never heard of him before this. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the qualifications or stories of his own experiences to tell. I just think that is too strong of a word for my liking.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, Inner circle are those who you trust the most they are your family.It means alot if you are apart of this inner circle because you are trusted with things that others arent.Those of the inner circle are family but of no blood relatuon.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,I think Freddie had a strained relationship with his family to some degree. This inner circle of friends became his family.

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, what happened to Joe Scardillini?? That is horrible spelling sorry. I think I sent you a screen shot of a glowing story about Freddie, You and his NY daughters and how much he loved you. I think it's your Instagram I'm not sure. I know what happened to poor John but wasn't there 4 of you?

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow,
Seems like it is time for me to take a nap.
OK...no authors out of the woodwork...but perhaps better said, out of the wooden side-door of Garden Lodge.
Sleep sounds good right now...later!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor.....i sent u a pm.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just viewing a few Queen videos on YouTube and came across "Save Me" performed at Hammersmith Odeon in 1979. A wonderful rendition of the song. And Freddie was amazing ... as he always was.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if the other band members wrote knowing that Freddie would be doing all the vocals. They must have had that in mind. I think I read that John didn't sing, so he knew that his songs would have Freddie doing the singing. With Brian, he sang some of his own songs ( "39" being one example) but Freddie did lead vocals on many. Same with Roger. He sang " I'm in Love with My Car", but Freddie did lead vocals on "Radio Ga Ga". As a wannabe song writer myself I would have a hard time turning my heartfelt lyrics over to someone else. I guess if the "someone else" was Freddie Mercury I would bow down and be thankful that a real talent had blessed my emotions with their voice.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The more successful the band was the more songs were sang by Freddie because his voice was the "Queen voice". The rest of the band accepted the fact that if they wanted their song to be a single it had to be sang by Freddie.

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there any way to find out the teeth question? I love Freddie's teeth I think they are cute in a lot of pictures and I hate that he covers them when he laughs.He had to have somewhere gotten criticized about them.

I just am frustrated with this particular story because it seems no one really knows one way or another. Some say yes he did have extra back teeth (not wisdom, trust me I know those horrible shitty things, I had a horrible time when they yanked mine out) Some say he was born with (there's a name for it) that means extra teeth and it's not unheard of however rare and considering how his teeth looked when he was younger it's not impossible. I too had horrible teeth as a child and felt like I had braces for decades (wasn't that long but felt that way) Although I also grew up in the 90's not the 50's and mine were pretty bad too, same thing as Freddie little worse in front. it was not an easy childhood.

Sean is right, there is no way that Mary's behavior could have changed that much. It's possible that not only was it Freddie's guilt but Phoebe said his friendship and "love" was rooted very deeply in trust. I think he trusted her and believed in her that she wouldn't spill his secrets. He did say they believed in each other, but never once did he use love I don't think. He definitely never said he was in love with her, and someone brought up, that she said for the six years they lived together it took her 3 to fall in love with him...that's a long time to be dating someone before you fall in love....

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor hurry up and publish your book I'm out of Freddie books to read! ahhhh!! I might have to read novels or something THE HORROR.

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freddie sang every song the same whether he wrote it or the others. That was just his way.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor- hope you enjoyed or are still enjoying your nap!! Hope you didn't have any nightmares about authors coming out of woodwork or Garden Lodge doors.

Perk- hope someone can find the answer to your teeth obsession- that's one myth I would like to keep- something about having the extra teeth is like having a super power- his voice was simply Mercurial!!

Chevy- your definition of inner circle is spot on - thus my opinion remains the same- sounds like this publisher uses quite a bit of elaboration to promote the book

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unless they are counting until today. They did the ONE VISION documentary. So 1986 is when he met Freddie and Queen

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Rudi’s book—baking dwarves into chocolate cake? Seriously? Did anyone else find that completely not believable? Rudi did know Freddie so I was hoping this would be a good book.

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoT—I grew up close to the border but on the other side. We got all the American networks from Buffalo. We laughed at how much snow they got.

Yeah, I know about that book. The problem is that Dugas was told by public health people more than once to stop having anonymous sex in bath houses, meaning with people who didn’t know he had KS. But he didn’t stop. This new book doesn’t dispute that, it just tries to argue that since Dugas didn’t believe the doctors that his cancer was sexually transmittable, he’s not the villain he was made out to be in And The Band Played On. And according to Randy Shilts, some of his partners called public health to complain about his behavior. And supposedly at least one of these doctors called him a sociopath. This was early on, maybe 1982, when his diagnosis was “gay cancer” not AIDS. GRID was never a medical term, just a media name.

He did participate in CDC research to establish that the new disease was sexually transmitted. That’s how he became patient O/patient 0. He would not have known the results when the above behavior was going on. He told them everything they wanted to know about his sex life. I don’t think a sociopath would do all that.

And he was by no means the only one told to cool it who didn’t. He’s just one of the most famous.