Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie said outloud in print more than once in interviews he was gay. Mary was the last woman he would be with. No one seemed to notice. Even a few years ago Brian went on a radio show and they asked him. He said Freddie was gay. They said how do you know. He said, he said it. I'm Gay as a daffodil. And one other time he said it. They said could he have been flippant? Brian said Freddie doesn't mince words. He didn't just say it once he said it several times and they just ignored that.

Mary has said it, Jim has said it, Freddie's sister has said it, in 2009 his mom said it on an interview, Thor, and Lee have said it.
There is no question his boyfriends and best friends have said it but everyone wants to say he's bisexual but it honestly doesn't matter. It's all out of homophobic issues..Even if he is gay that has nothing to do with how talented and amazing he is. Though maybe they could ignore his words back then but now if it's in black and white and he SAID it. Trust him. Do not think Mary is an angel she isn't.

Mary got paid well for that interview btw. It took almost 8 years for her to get full control of Freddie's money, so she might have needed it. Mary didn't write a book but, she thought seriously about it according to David Wigg. She is no more innocent than Jim. She sold pictures of Garden Lodge and her sons and has done several interviews. Everyone wants to think she's so private, trust me she will talk when she needs money. She just hasn't needed it in a while. She has money to destroy the shrine to Freddie and things she doesn't need interview money. She just got a huge amount from movie royalties

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before I began my initial 'study' of Freddie Mercury my gut instinct said.....He's gay. But only going on the few press reports I'd seen......i thought maybe he IS bisexual. (Either way.....he was such a beautiful and fascinating creature, i cared not one bit his sexual identity!!) After reading the 'good' biographies and reading QZ's info from All that knew him (Thor, Lee, SM.....and Villiers excellent research) I have NO DOUBT Freddie was a gay man!! Do i love him less??? Absolutely Not!! If anything......i Love him more!!!! I now see him for who he was. I appreciate how hard it must have been for him back then. I value his total honesty in the words of his lyrics, his flaunting it on stage right in everyone's face but only those who were really looking could see it (Absolutely Brilliant....if you ask me!) He stayed Authentic til the end! Bravo!! The 'mask' was only utilized for press junkets.......Again a brilliant business maneuver from a brilliant musical entrepreneur!!!!! I completely Get that during this time in his career, he could not risk being an openly gay man. I have never felt duped because it was Always there for all to see. I most of all Adore his Humanity.....his generosity, his loyalty, his true love of music, fans, friends and family and even animals make him All the more lovable. His insecurities, idiosyncrasies, complexities and vulnerabilities prove his humanity......flaws, brilliance, heart and soul keep him fascinating and timelessly relevant .....to the rest of us mere mortals....who can relate so well with such a talented and brilliantly beautiful human. That is exactly why he touches us so deeply and so universally......He is not a God....he is one of US!!!!

Posted: 27 Apr 19, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenko I agree completely...I don't know how many more people have to confirm it before people finally accept it. HE kind of loved the mischievousness in flaunting it right in front of everyone's eyes but they refused to see. Now still because he had one or two female relationships before he figured out what he really wanted everyone has the bisexual idea. I don't care who he loved, it doesn't change the fact that he was insanely talented. He wrote amazing music, could sing like nobody's business and move like nobody's business and basically changed music forever. I don't know why his sexuality mattered one bit. It certainly didn't when Wayne's World brought back a renaissance of Queen in the USA in the 90's and it certainly didn't stop anyone from seeing the biopic. 27 years after he died he's still as fascinating and interesting and mysterious as he always was. He was and is one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century and still has no match in the 21st. That is all that matters! His legacy endures and I hope it continues to for a long long time. Ironically being mysterious when he was alive may have even helped his legacy and interest stay alive in 2019

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont for the life of me understand why anyone cares about who someones sexual interests are.That is labeling someone and that's why I hate it so bad.What about caring for someone for who they are as a person or friend or artist.Who gives a rat's ass who they have sex with or how many.I will not be labeled by anyone. But I do respect someone that goes by a label.Everyone should be free to love whoever they want without worrying about a gender preference.Can we move on everybody knows that Freddie identified privately as gay and why he did.I know Thor and Lee got to be tired of hearing it .Where are you at Thor ?

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2772 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I rather read a book by Rudi Dolezal who worked closely with Freddie for years than reading the drivel from some random guys Freddie wrongly trusted who now try to make a quick buck with kiss and tell book, getting money for "sensational stories" in awful "docus" like "Freddie's Loves" and talk shit about Mary Austin. Thank God those book publishers think the same

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The funniest thing about any of this sexuality talk is that everyone is now so convinced he was attracted to and had sex with men that it’s not was he gay or straight. It’s oh well it was women too.
Ok I don’t get it. Why does that matter? He isn’t alive he won’t meet us and fall in love, gay or straight, male or female. I don’t understand why people know he had sex with men but if he didn’t have sex with women then we can’t like him anymore? It’s such an insult to think he’s hot? So if he is just gay and not bisexual does that mean that his songs can’t be for women now? This is such a twisted version of homophobia. Well he was only mostly gay. So it’s all good? What?

Oh it’s ok because once he slept with women too so we can buy his music on iTunes. If he was totally gay then no I couldn’t. Is anyone else confused by that? I am a straight woman. I have never been sexually attracted to other women so does that mean if Freddie was “totally” gay I can’t listen? I can’t love him? I’m not trying to date him I just wanna look at pretty things and he’s pretty. I also think he was a killer human but if he’s totally gay I’m not allowed to idolize him? He had to have at least been attracted to women a little bit or I can’t think he’s damn fine and lust after his nice ass? Is that the rule? I’m super confused cause personally I think he was sexy as hell. But I can’t be attracted to a man because he’s gay? If he’s bi then I can? Can anyone explain this insane need to believe he would be attracted to me, a woman?

There’s one BIG problem there, a tragic irreversible issue to conquer first; He isn’t alive anymore. He isn’t here to be having sex with any human male or female but if he’s “totally” gay I can’t get turned on by the way he looks in tight jeans and how he makes me hot when he shakes his leg to the music in said jeans? I mean I’m not trying to be disrespectful of anyone but I mean attraction is human nature.
He had some very *ahem* obvious assets. But he was gay so stop caring? Poke out my eyes and don’t think about his assets?

Does anyone else get this insane need to prove whether he was gay or bi? I like dark headed men. He happens to have dark hair. I like men who are funny. Hmm check. I also like men who look good in jeans. Oh no! Unfortunately even if the man I am attracted to is indeed into women sexually I’m blonde what if he likes brunettes? Oh crap! What if he likes blondes but idk taller ones. I guess I’m not allowed to look and go damn he’s good looking cause he doesn’t like blondes and I’m blonde. If I’m not allowed to think he’s damn good looking because I’m not his type and he isn’t into me then how do I divert my eyes and in turn my attraction to ONLY guys who happen to be only attracted to blonde women. Will Freddie be offended that I sometimes look at his pictures and admire his *cough* obvious considerable assets? That I sometimes find my eyes traveling to his jeans at Live Aid below the waist? Is that the issue? How do I find out? If he’s bisexual then it’s ok?

He has been gone 27 years and except for one guy, if you believe, no one has ever come back to life. But if I argue all this time that he slept with women too when and if he does come back I may have a chance?

That’s the craziest crap I’ve ever heard. I am a straight woman. He was gay. I liked his music but if he’s gay I can’t I guess.
Noooo. I like his music cause it’s good and fun and catchy and original and he could sing so damn well. But if he’s gay I can’t listen? So I will fight to the death for him to be bisexual cause if he is even a fraction attracted to women it’s ok then?
What is the crazy insane logic behind this argument. Especially that it’s not even a gay or straight issue anymore. It’s a bi or gay one. What? If he didn’t at least think women were a tiny bit attractive it’s all over. I must Erase all my Queen songs off Spotify? But 3 of the four were attracted to women and I don’t really find them attractive so now I can listen? or not? What is the next step in this insanity?

The facts are I like men. I like men with dark hair. I like men who look good in tight jeans and who can shake their leg to a beat oh and who have dreamy singing voices and nice um assets. Freddie is a man a dreamy singing voice, funny, looks great in tight jeans that show off his finer points. But he was TOTALLY gay. So Must I stop liking him even though he happens to match all the criteria I’m attracted to? This is confusing!!!! He has to be bisexual or I can’t love him? Right? Damn *snaps fingers* so close. Oh another thing I like in men. That I can meet them that they are still on Earth. So if he’s totally gay and idk in heaven I can or can’t? What is the answer? (Obviously I’m kidding) this is just a crazy way of saying my eyes like certain things in humans and what they see is completely dependent on whether the person I lay eyes on would return the favor? Is that the problem? Cause I don’t see me blinding myself any time soon and since for 37 years I’ve enjoyed sex with men and he’s a man and a pretty hot one but if he’s TOTALLY gay. I can’t like what I see? No eye candy? No eargasms? Well shit! There goes my plan to marry and have kids with Freddie Mercury it’s not that I’m alive and he happens to not be. It’s that he doesn’t like to have sex with women and men both! That’s my biggest hurdle. This sucks!
I shall now go fight against all evidence to the contrary to insist he was bisexual! (Grr)

I think what he would REALLY be insulted by is wasting my life arguing about that. I think he’d rather me go enjoy the sexy music and the sexy man singing that music and watch all the concerts and enjoy all he worked hard to achieve his whole life. I think I’ll do the last part. Cause arguing about that other thing seems oddly pointless and a waste. (seriously how rude was he to look so good in jeans and wear those jeans so tight to um highlight his assets? the nerve!) Love ya Freddie bi or gay or alive or dead. Do I go try to argue that he’s both alive and dead now? I am deadophobic. I am scared of people not alive! It makes me super uncomfortable to hang out with non-living people. I don’t apologize for it either. Sorry if this offends any half dead or totally dead readers.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Runner it's a shame you feel that way about Thor and Lee's book . I don't believe they are trying to cash in with a kiss n tell book . They want to tell people about the Freddie they knew and loved and share their stories and give us a view into their time together where Freddie was a normal gay man. Why shouldn't they share their memories , Peter and jim and David Evans have done the same .
I feel the world needs to know more about the real Freddie and not the one having to hide from his sexuality .

On the subject of his sexuality, why does it need to discussed , Freddie was so much more than that. He was a brilliant man , a legend with insecurities just like us .

I'm getting so fed up of the bi/ gay talk and if I'm honest the mary/Jim topic as it's tainting my image of Freddie and I don't want that to happen. Hope I make sense .

It seems he loved jim but it was complicated by outside forces who didn't appreciate their relationship.

He loved Mary but she seems to have caused problems and treated his close family like poo.

It's all just nuts , how can one man leave so much behind lol

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Perk but that was too long to read all the way through. He was gay and not bisexual we all know that. It is important to discuss/know because as villier says in her lives (and I love th way she words this) just like the color of his hair, his height or his ethnicity, Freddie's being gay was a fact of his life and although it did not define him as a man it did have a massive influence on his life and the career of his you all love so much. And because he had to hide it from the public all his life it is unfair and disrespectful for it to be hidden or swept under the rug in death. Had he not been gay the band may not have even been named Queen, they wouldn't have the same sound or look and the man who was known as rock's greatest showman may not have been. Anyone who could watch Freddie on stage and not see his campness hasn't been paying attention. A good portion of what people claim they like most about Freddie was from his being gay.

Charlies boy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlies boy
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry...Perk....what the fuck are you talking about? Dude that was like a 7 page essay that made absolutely no sense at all. What on God's earth

The man was gay. As his own friends here said on this very thread "he showed absolutely no interest in women whatsoever. He was 100% gay and loved being gay." If you still feel the need to stare at his cock and drool so be it but I don't understand the point to your post. I read it 2 times and it was the most bizarre rant I've seen on here yet.

What was the point? Could you tell us in a short comment please.

St Pepper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk that was the single most stupid post anyone has made here. Congratulations.

You say you're 37 but aren't mature enough to know you are "allowed" to find a gay man attractive? Do you know why you keep talking about his penis that you can't stop staring at eventhough you're a woman and he was gay? Because being gay didn't make him an idiot. Sex sells. That's why he wore what he wore. Did he ever want to fuck you or any other female? No. But why in hell would you need to believe that he wanted you in order for you to notice him as physically appealing?

There's no need to prove the man was gay. All his friends said it, he said it and he LIVED it. He was not into women. Even when he tried dating women he hated sex with them. You know what isn't sexy for a woman? Watching her black haired, large cocked parter stop during the act love making to cry because he wants a man and not a woman. That was the reality for the girl he dated before Mary. And want to know what Mary dealt with? The same studly man avoiding sex with her as well. Making her feel unloved and suspicious. Why? Because he was fucking gay.

Have you so little imagination that you can't just find a gay man attractive without needing to believe he would want you back? Because I'm sorry to tell you this but Freddie Mercury did not want women even when he tried dating women before coming to terms with being gay. If that busts your cock dream bubble you may want to move on to another artist to lust after.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think she was talking about people who think that way, not necessarily her. Although I'll be honest I read the whole thing and I didn't exactly understand it either.

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin.....spot on.....thank you :)

I didn't understand it either and gave up mid way through .

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Runner, If you dont like it hear why waste your breath .Your a Dick head.Why dont you join miss Austin since you think so much of her.I Know who you are your one of those little bitches on Instagram that like to make rude comments and start shit .Sounds like to me your talking out of your ass.So unless you have something nice to say say nothing at all.Oh by the way Miss Austin doesnt like the fans either sorry about that.

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk, sister I got lost but yes buy the music its great.I just think women look at him and think damn he couldnt be gay he is way too hot.But that is true with most gay men.Look at Thor I bet he got hit on by ladies.They arre nice to look at but at the end of the day we have to remember that they do like the boys and move on.I also think that's were this hang up on Mary Austin comes in .Women using that one woman to justify his liking of women.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut- could you clarify your statement: " tainting my image of Freddie "? The arguments of his sexuality and his relationship with Mary will always be discussed. Just wondering what you're thinking.

Chevy-some people just don't get it - you do!!

Happy Sunday!

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emdee I will claify by PM .

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of snippy comments and negative vibes on the forum today. Maybe we all need to do some yoga and mellow out a little.

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

must be a full moon lol

St Pepper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah. Super bad vibes bro. It couldn't possibly be that someone posted something stupid and people noticed.

Posted: 28 Apr 19, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I said something negative I will try to obstain from negativity have a happy Sunday everyone.I just dont agree with something someone said and this person creates drama.Im sorry for calling them a dick head.