Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually that tape above is quite a bit longer in its entirety. It's Freddie, Mike Moran, Straker and a few others at Freddie's house. The first part of the tape is snippets from one show tune after another. I like when they get going on Summertime from Porgy and Bess. They seem to be challenging and trying to top each other with each song. I've only heard it once or twice because it does go on and on, but it is kind of fun. Lots of laughter. As for the word fag, I find it completely offensive, but could it be one of those instances where they can say it, but nobody else had better?

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate the "F" word as much as women hate the "C" word. If I took it out of context...oh well.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's funny......but I started re-reading Phoebe's first book today in a hot salt bath (my therapy) and it's reading sooooo different to me this time because Thor and Lee have such respect and kind words for Phoebe, I'm experiencing it in a Totally new light!!!!!! When I first read it a few months ago....i wasn't sure of Phoebe's m.o.......and seeing him in interviews he comes across as almost too Nice.....if ya get my drift. But these forums have cleared my vision and enhanced my perspective!! TY
Also...Phoebe's book has many picture of NY daughters that i look at completely differently now....it's nice to be able to put a Person to the faces I'm seeing!! It's almost like I know you Both!!!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Blenkolove,
Much appreciated. A person could have no better friend than Peter Freestone. Freddie was quite lucky.

Blenkolove

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, THANK YOU!!!! I Think you Both have done a great service by clearing up so very many misconceptions that have apparently circulated for too many years!!!!
As I've stated before.....it's almost like the more I read about Freddie....the More questions I had. But reading All your stories and accounts....i feel assured that the Freddie I saw intuitively IS the Freddie that existed.....And that feels right!!!

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter said the only 2 celebs Freddie was ever nervous about meeting were montserrat and Prince. He couldn't sit still waiting her to arrive the first time they met bc he admired her voice so much. And with Prince, he never met him because he was too nervous. According to Peter, once while Los Angeles or NY (forget which) Freddie found himself in the same parking lot as Prince. He spotted him and Peter suggested he go over and say hello. Freddie said no because he didn't know if Prince would even know who he was! Can you imagine! And after doing some research, turns out Prince DID enjoy Queens early work and probably would have enjoyed meeting freddie. According to Peter, freddie had a vhs tape of a Prince concert that they got VERY sick of hearing because freddie would play it on repeat for hours. Rewinding back to his favorite parts and making friends watch it over and over with him lol. Apparently he felt that he and Prince were similar in some things. I can't blame him for being a fan, as I myself think the world of Prince. After looking into him, how could I not be impressed- the man mastered every instrument he put his hand on just to spite his father (a musician who told him he wouldn't amount to much). That's my kind of petty! Lmao

Villiers

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was for whoever it was that asked if Freddie was ever starstruck with other celebs^

Sorry, I forgot who asked!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sinkingisland
RE: freddie's Condo

We were there many times.......the walls of the dining room and living room were lined with a taupe silk fabric. It came that way. Freddie's room was yellow.......the TV Media room was grey, I think. Thor?
The chandeler in the dining room was VERY modern with column like crystal spikes about ten inches long hanging form it........if you unhooked one of the columns, and stick it in the flowers beneath, it was reminiscent of the scene from the Christopher Reeves Superman, where he did something like that with similar crystals at his home base. My memory is vague on the Superman scene, but Frediie got a kick out of me playing with the chandelier, on more than one occasion.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GOD I hate the "F" word. I grew up being called it, and it sucked.
It is now like the "N: word, and the "C" word as Thor mentioned.
Some think.........and I'm saying some..........think that gay people can say the "F" word, black people can say "N" the word, and women can say the "C" word. I don't care who says it, it doesn't sit well with me..........just makes me remember how ignorant the world still is in regards to different lifestyles. Not everyone of course, but there is still those out there that will never get it. They don't have a clue, and just won't be swayed.

Blenkolove

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Love Freddie!!! ALWAYS HAVE!! Nothing I have ever read.or heard could change my mind!!
I just didn't truly Appreciate his Musical GENIUS until I started my research!! I've mentioned my Freddie undertaking to a few of my close patients and friends....some bite, some don't ......but I always get a word in about what a Flippin' GENIUS he was musically, visually and even business wise!!! And then to combine that passion and talent with such a quick wit!!! What's Not To Love??????

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P.S. Sinking Island
I recently found a blue print of Freddie's place at the Sovereign on line. It is an exact replica of how the place was laid out. It was fun finding it,

Shvili user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sincerely apologize if i have offended anyone.
These are my Georgians https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ7wXpA3VxQ

Nothing really matters in the end.

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and I truly agree on many things when it comes to Freddie stories.........we might feed each other's memory by adding a specific date, time, or incident, but we pretty much match on all our stories...........I'm lucky that I have the photos to help me remember. Thor and I are gonna breeze through the photos next week when he is in the desert, but he has a better memory than he gives himself credit for...........I gotta say, Thor borders on brilliant.......no I take that back........he IS brilliant, and has a powerful grasp on all things kind and right. We REALLY agree on politics, but we decided to not talk about that stuff here, and I am SOOOO glad that rule was set. LOL

Villiers

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mhmmm. Thor knows I agree with him on that. He got a kick out of me getting handcuffed (no charges were pressed) at a rally against our latest Prez (lets just say im not a fan of his) AND THATS I'LL IM GONNA SAY ABOUT IT, I SWEAR, I SWEEEAR. lol

Lee, I know DreamWorks isn't Disney or Pixar but I was wondering if you enjoyed the movies these companies make? Disney and Pixar just came out with the movie Coco, and after seeing it tonight I cried like a baby! The music was brilliant and message was so sweet. If any of you enjoy Disney at all and beautiful artwork, GO SEE IT!.....did I mention I cried?? Lol. I'm absolutely amazed at the animations they're able to make now. Freddie was into graphic design in college and as you know, that could lead to animation. Having seen photos of his artwork, I can't help but wonder what kind of great animations he might have come up with if given the chance.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

I agree with you about the name calling. All those words are extremely offensive. In fact, any word said with derision is offensive. That is why when people talk about Barbara Valentin and call her "Fat Cow" I cringe. If they find fault with her conduct or words in regards to Freddie, that's fair game. But how many women on this thread are Rubenesque or zoftig themselves? Are they "Fat Cows" too if they are built just like Barbara? I know that example does have the horrible historical significance of the the "F" or "N" words... but those types of comments do cause a lot of pain. As a former teacher, I can attest how much name calling hurts...

One of the best things we can teach our children is tolerance.

Villiers

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but I have to say it: those that call Barbara a fat cow call her that because it's what Freddie called her. He called her a whale too.

Lol doesn't make it right but hey...it also wasn't right for her to make false claims about him trying to kill her either.
Freddie was no abuser :)

But the less said about her the better, imo.

Sorry, I had to lol

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pffffffft no way. Barbara WAS a fat cow. Call her what she was. A lying cow who happened to be fat. If she can call Freddie an insane woman killer who fell into psychotic traces, she can be called a fat cow. At least fat cow is accurate for her. That's more than can be said for the crap she called Freddie.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have friends who are heavy and built like her physically and I would never call them that. But then again they didn't try to claim that someone slammed their head into a sink tried to crack their skull or strangle them not their sleep. Barbara did so uh....No I'm not ever sorry for calling her a fat cow.

Villiers

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So ANYWAYS, about DreamWorks, Lee?..lol.

Villiers

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also my friend and I were just talking about this photo. Best guess is 82 or 83, but the shirt looks like the kind of stuff sold in the stalls around California's beaches. You guys wouldn't happen to know anything about this 'cocky b' would you? Lol. Perhaps it was the beach outing??

Attachment: 201712171229664567.jpg 101 KB
This has been downloaded 42 time(s).