Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charles, We are on the road to recovery thank God.I sound like a drug rehab center.Glad to hear from you too.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The great pretender documentary- not the John Blunt one by the same name- was good and did touch his gayness and why he tried to hide it but there was another one with David Wigg where he says "The production company knew they were about to come into a lot of money and that wasn't going to happen if everyone knew he was gay. They didn't want him to be out." I don't remember what documentary that was but I bet you anything Villiers knows.

GwenMezroe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, I'm not sure if this is the only documentary containing that quote, but I know it's found in the Freddie Mercury - Magic Remixed documentary. It's available on YouTube.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin that is interesting, I wonder what the documentary was ?

Chevyman ..sorry Adam doesn't do it for me lol . There is no one like Freddie but I guess Adam is doing good for a generation of new fans and older ones who still want to see Brain and Roger in action and enjoy the music. I showed my 11 year old a video of Adam singing and asked her opinion as I thought it would be interesting what she would say seeing as she knows neither that well. She said Freddie ....that's my girl lol . I didn't put her under any pressure.....promise lol

Emdee I'm being teased left ,right and centre on Queen/Freddie groups as lots of fans are in the US and have seen it......frustrationing

Freddienotfreddy what was it that left you with the impression that there is no hiding of Freddie's sexuality or are you referring to Adam.

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Magic Remixed doc has the clip with David Wigg in which David asked 'can I say you are in a relationship with a man'? Freddie replied 'no,' your mustn't '

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes no you want to stay away from the magic remixed one if I remember correctly it claims Freddie was bi.

The great pretender and the Untold story have that audio clip of Freddie telling wigg not to say hes with a man but that's hes happy with his relationship

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Gewen I haven't seen the whole doc in years and I had spotted that clip of wigg talking about the production company not wanting him to be out bc they'd lose money on someones Instagram and I could be wrong but I thought the magic remixed one was another bad doc

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thought I would share this story I found, I love finding tales like this from Peter.

Thor/Lee you probably know this side of Freddie :)

citing an example of the two sides of Mercury working together, Freestone remembered one time the singer "came downstairs, complaining bitterly that he had no cologne, nobody cared about him, nobody bought him anything – which basically meant he had three half-bottles. [He said,] ‘I’m going out to sort something out for myself.’ So he went out with his driver; they went to Harrods.

“He came back with two bags from Harrods and he looked through them, and took out one one bottle of cologne, ‘See? I’ve bought this for me. This is mine.’ Then he proceeded to give everybody including the cleaning ladies … perfume, colognes, things. That was just the way he was.”

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, I haven't seen them for a while so I can't remember if magic remixed referred to him as Bi. Also I didn't realise that question from Wigg was in those two docs although it's been a while since I've seen them both. I did watch the unedited version of the Untold Story yesterday and don't recall it in this version. I will have to watch them again.

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dislike the label bisexual.I hope that doesnt offend anyone.For so many of my years that is the label folks but on me and I hated it.I just dislike wasting time on labeling people they are who they are free to love who they want regardless of any gender boundaries.Call me a freak if you want I just dont see why someone has to have a gender preference.If you notice I dont waste to much time on the subject because I feel a person is who they are and if someone doesnt like it look the other way.However,I do respect those who Identify themselves with labeling because that's their right to do so.I just dont feel I need to justify anything to anyone.Just my opinion.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut

Thanks for sharing the story it's great ?? where do you find these treasures? It's not from Ask Phoebe blog isn't it?

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,I think Freddie wanted to share his accomplishments with others.He gave them gifts.He loved to shop so his friends had no choice in the matter.He would just show up with a present from what I hear.He bought one for himself and always thought of someone else.He had good family values.

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To each their own Chevy but Freddie identified as gay and lived gay so his story doesn't sound like yours. He seemed pretty happy to have those close to hom call him gay.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,
What I was surprised about was that Queen is seen almost embracing Adam's sexuality, as well it should be .Also, during all the clips of Rami Malek, he calls Freddie a "gay man" no bisexuality or confused sexuality mentioned at all. I think it is a presentation well worth viewing.
Many talented people, in all fields, happen to be gay - is that not obvious?

thundergod

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome cazgeorge,
I would suggest starting on page one. The earlier thread is worth reading too. Whenever you see a TROLL, just skip over them.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honey.Chile,
The love is felt, thank you so much!

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin,, I get what You are saying it's just my experiences in the past and how I felt most of my life as if I really didnt fit in anywhere.I really never understood why I felt the way I did.I sure couldnt talk to family they would've flipped out.I appreciate Your input about Freddie that helps alot.They make him out to be so sad and it looks like he was a very happy man outside Queen Hours.

Charlies boy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlies boy
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You don't see why someone has a gender preference? Oh boy...sounds like someone who has never experienced being gay. I see an awful lot of women claiming to be bisexual or making claims that they're open to all people sexually and it's a bit cringe for me as a gay man to watch. Mostly because (and I'm so sorry to say this) but that's just not real. As a gay man there is absolutely nothing I can do to get turned on by the female gender. That's because I'm gay and not just trying to claim I'm some unique type of sexuality to stand out or tried the opposite sex once on high school/college and claim it to be legit or meaningful. We don't choose what gender to like lol. That's actually a little offensive. Freddie didn't have a "preference" for men. He was just gay. He had no interest in women and there was nothing he could have or should have done to force himself to find them sexy. The word for someone like that is homosexual. It's not taboo anymore it's not regressive. It's what we are. And it's part of our identity. When you struggle with something that emotionally draining for years and finally find some sort of happiness in it, you don't sweep it under the rug and claim you don't believe in labels. You live your life as what you are, not rubbing it in peoples faces but being open within your friend group and those you trust. Peter Freestone has a habit of claiming to the public that Freddie didnt like labels but he also goes on his books and admits Freddie called himself gay and didn't hide it. I think he tries not to rock the boat but Freddie called himself gay enough times to believe in those labels. It's almost becomes a badge of honor for us.

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chevyman Peter is trying to convey Freddie's personality in that sometimes he could act a little sorry for himself. He said he came down stairs saying no one buys him anything and no one cares but Peter knew that wasn't true and Freddie was having one of his moments. It's a similar situation in David Evans book where Freddie said that no one really invited him to their house, however, Peter has said that Freddie rarely enjoyed visiting friends houses as he wasn't always comfortable. Freddie was just so complex .

I can see where you are coming from regarding labelling and I just guess it's personal preference, however, I am not either so I'm probably not best placed to say. However, there are labels for everything these days.

I've just shut my finger in the door....flipping hurts :(

thundergod

Posted: 30 Apr 19, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chalie'sBoy,
Troll-free highways are always easier to navigate!