Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just watched the "Freddie's Loves" documentary from 2004, to try and put faces to your names - Thor and Lee, you guys are cute!

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara Valentin is the sole cause of all the gay erasure of Freddie, the constant debates over his sexuality and has contributed to homophobia in the fandom. She deserves these names.

Queen's producer said she was nothing but a drug dealer who he wouldn't touch with a stick! As has been said, she accused him of violence and went to the press about all the threesomes she imagines she had with him.

Because of that, she's fair game I think. People come on here calling Paul Prenter all sorts for going to the press but The Whale gets a free pass even though she's created hatred and tried to blacken Freddie's name. She has nothing but contempt from me. Her name didn't need to be thrown back into this thread.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 220 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am not defending the kind of person Barbara was as I clearly said her words and actions were fair game for criticism! I am all for exposing any lies or misconduct she engaged in as they pertain to Freddie. I accept your contempt for her.

But if the logic is: Barbara has done terrible things...so it is okay to call her a whale, then it would have been okay to have called Andrew Cunanan a "F" on the news because he was clearly gay and a murderer. He was a bad gay, so the "F" word is warranted.

As for the comment "Her name didn't need to be thrown back into this thread" ...my initial response only followed the general discussion that Thor and then Lee had over name calling they disliked, so my comment dovetailed specifically with that and happened to be connected to Barbara, which is a relevant topic. I was just stating how I felt and thought this was a place I could do that. However, this is an extremely long thread and fully admit I could have missed the list of "banned topics"!

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, whatever kind of person Barbara was, she's dead. While that doesn't make her a saint and nor does it change the past, there's little point about feeling angry about it now.

Sponge Caves user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sponge Caves
Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie called her a whale. But I suppose it's okay for him to call his so-called friend (at the time) a whale cos he's people's god. Notice how if Freddie says something nasty, it's okay...like he called Peter a Rubens painting and called some fans UGLY in the audience. And he called some Spanish fans 'a bunch of fucking tacos'. But oh it's Freddie, he's just JOKING, it's not conveniently not body shaming and anti-fattist when it comes from the mouth of the Moustache God.

I hate when people try to police a forum. Especially a forum about a man whom multiple people describe as being extremely bitchy and acerbic.

c.jory

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

miraclesteinway wrote:

To be honest, whatever kind of person Barbara was, she's dead. While that doesn't make her a saint and nor does it change the past, there's little point about feeling angry about it now.

I know, but it's hard not to be when nearly every day, someone mentions her and it causes a huge fight so it feels kind of current. I left all Queen social media groups because I was tired of fans forcing the Barbara sex thing down people's throats.

It's all over blogs too so new fans are coming along and starting fights over her. It's probably the only Freddie related topic in which people get threatening and abusive over.

Kismet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kismet
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is loadsa quotes of freddie being nasty to be honest darlings, lets not tell fans off and be sycophants to freddie when he was worse lolololol

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow......dont feel bad cuz I missed Obviously missed the banned list too!!!!jk I like the prev response that said she was just a footnote!!!

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BETA215 user is on Queenzone.com
Mr. BETA will take care of you
BETA215
Deity: 2675 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Oops, I guess I jumped the gun, I don't like to see the word "fag", sorry.

Ooh, sorry. I just wanted to post something that I thought would be funny to you. At least, it makes me laugh :D

Don't forget my collection of demos and outtakes: http://goo.gl/uQARhn

PM me if you want any [leaked] multitrack.

Ya se ven los tigres en la lluvia.
thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1107 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey BETA215,
This is my 136th page. When I saw the words "die fags" I assumed you were one of the haters we want to avoid on this thread..
People and yourself have made me see the light about this clip. I sincerely apologize and welcome you to the forum.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sponge Caves Captianjory and Kismet are right. The reason people call her that is because Freddie did and it's true. Don't want to be called ugly names? Don't accuse people of abuse and change their life story to benefit yourself after they die. She deserved to be called much worse. People go on and on about Paul Prenter daily in the fandom. She did the same thing that he did but worse. Much worse. Paul got death threats. If all she got was fans calling her a fat cow she got off easier than she should have. Fans addressing her by the name Freddie gave her is hardly worth getting hurt over.

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I saw the 'f*ck off and die....' link, I laughed, but that's because I knew the context behind it...I too had forgotten what that must look like to someone who doesn't know it's Freddie's version of Que Sera, lol.

Thor I totally understand your reaction to it. Actually, on a more serious note, I wonder if he was 'joking' about something pretty harsh that was actually going on....it was his way of getting it out of his system maybe, by creating a joke.

My dad was Irish and when all the Irish jokes came out he laughed right along with everyone else, it's a defence.

On the subject of people calling people fat and whales, etc, lol, I usually decide on the basis of the person's overall personality. If they are warm, caring, generally good people, then I might turn a blind eye, as long as no one is hurt. But if the person is nasty in other ways, not joking, not in the right context, etc, doing it too often, then it would be a red flag.

It's certainly frowned upon much more now than it was back in the 80's.

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers wrote:

Peter said the only 2 celebs Freddie was ever nervous about meeting were montserrat and Prince. He couldn't sit still waiting her to arrive the first time they met bc he admired her voice so much. And with Prince, he never met him because he was too nervous. According to Peter, once while Los Angeles or NY (forget which) Freddie found himself in the same parking lot as Prince. He spotted him and Peter suggested he go over and say hello. Freddie said no because he didn't know if Prince would even know who he was! Can you imagine! And after doing some research, turns out Prince DID enjoy Queens early work and probably would have enjoyed meeting freddie. According to Peter, freddie had a vhs tape of a Prince concert that they got VERY sick of hearing because freddie would play it on repeat for hours. Rewinding back to his favorite parts and making friends watch it over and over with him lol. Apparently he felt that he and Prince were similar in some things. I can't blame him for being a fan, as I myself think the world of Prince. After looking into him, how could I not be impressed- the man mastered every instrument he put his hand on just to spite his father (a musician who told him he wouldn't amount to much). That's my kind of petty! Lmao

Sorry to hijack the thread, but maybe Thor or Lee have any similar stories about themselves or Freddie. I'm always fascinated when I read stuff like this. I love Freddie's music more than any other music in the world, but I really really dislike Prince's music. Same thing with Queen/Hendrix and Queen/Foo Fighters. It's really mind blowing that a person who made music you love enjoyed music you hate and the other way around :D

Blenkolove

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor!!
I just came to your introduction in Phoebe's book and it is SOOO cool to know your backstory to it!!!
THAT one decision on ur part to go track down Freddie and attend that concert was responsible for impacting So many lives!!!!......once Again...TY!! for sharing your time and experiences<3 <3

c.jory

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheldon wrote:

Villiers wrote:

Peter said the only 2 celebs Freddie was ever nervous about meeting were montserrat and Prince. He couldn't sit still waiting her to arrive the first time they met bc he admired her voice so much. And with Prince, he never met him because he was too nervous. According to Peter, once while Los Angeles or NY (forget which) Freddie found himself in the same parking lot as Prince. He spotted him and Peter suggested he go over and say hello. Freddie said no because he didn't know if Prince would even know who he was! Can you imagine! And after doing some research, turns out Prince DID enjoy Queens early work and probably would have enjoyed meeting freddie. According to Peter, freddie had a vhs tape of a Prince concert that they got VERY sick of hearing because freddie would play it on repeat for hours. Rewinding back to his favorite parts and making friends watch it over and over with him lol. Apparently he felt that he and Prince were similar in some things. I can't blame him for being a fan, as I myself think the world of Prince. After looking into him, how could I not be impressed- the man mastered every instrument he put his hand on just to spite his father (a musician who told him he wouldn't amount to much). That's my kind of petty! Lmao

Sorry to hijack the thread, but maybe Thor or Lee have any similar stories about themselves or Freddie. I'm always fascinated when I read stuff like this. I love Freddie's music more than any other music in the world, but I really really dislike Prince's music. Same thing with Queen/Hendrix and Queen/Foo Fighters. It's really mind blowing that a person who made music you love enjoyed music you hate and the other way around :D

I think I get what you mean - I spent a day listening to the artists Queen cited as influences and most (not all) did nothing for me. And it's weird, I feel like, 'how could they make their own stuff because they were inspired by that shite?' Freddie was mad about Jimi Hendrix but he's only got one song I like.

Also when I was younger people listened to "the holy trinity of Emo bands" - Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco and My Chemical Romance. P!ATD, & MCR list Queen as their influence and Fall Out Boy don't, yet it's FOB I like - the other two don't appeal much at all. Odd that.

SinkingIsland

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Lee, for the reply.

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

Villiers wrote:

I think I get what you mean - I spent a day listening to the artists Queen cited as influences and most (not all) did nothing for me. And it's weird, I feel like, 'how could they make their own stuff because they were inspired by that shite?' Freddie was mad about Jimi Hendrix but he's only got one song I like.

Also when I was younger people listened to "the holy trinity of Emo bands" - Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco and My Chemical Romance. P!ATD, & MCR list Queen as their influence and Fall Out Boy don't, yet it's FOB I like - the other two don't appeal much at all. Odd that.

Yes, this exactly!

SinkingIsland

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove... Totally agree!
I, too, am re-reading Phoebe's first book. I only discovered, about two weeks ago, that he wrote a second book. I bought it immediately, but decided it best to re-read the first before starting the second.
BTW... I am a dental person, too! :)

Blenkolove

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sinkingisland,
Me too!!!! ;)...... I didn't Realize Phoebe had a Second book until I joined this forum!! Plus....i wasn't too sure about Phoebe Until I joined Thor's and Now Thor n Lee's forum....so I highly doubt I would have sought it out?????....But Maybe??
I'M Really diggin' this Book the 2nd Time Around!!!

I looked up Phoebe's 2nd book on PRIME but it's only available from 3rd party seller.....i prefer to stay w /PRIME. I'm gonna check Phoebe"s blog next....i remember he had a store......just don't recall if his books were there!!
It's SOOO cool ur in Dental too!! So do u find yourself lovin' Freddie's teeth.....and studying them When u find them in picts????