Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 19, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I forgot to mention why I respect many of you. I like the way you are able to offer your opinion without judging others and for how you uphold the memory of Freddie Mercury .....with love. Warts and all. I need a smiley emoticon here.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emdee0809 wrote:

Mika - thank you so much for the translation - what a special person to take the time to do that for us!!

You are welcome. It was not a big deal and this forum gave me so much that this very very small contribution is the least I can do in return for.

And I forgot to mention - you might be confused - I translated the whole show, not only this 11 minutes long video with the hologram performance - there was nothing really interesting, just some small talk with no new information.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There have been quite a few new people who started posting over the past month or so. That's super. I offer a giant welcome to all of you!

Mika, I have not yet seen the documentary, but a HUGE thanks in advance for all the time you put into doing the translation for us. It is greatly appreciated. One of the things I like most about this thread is the international participation. There are many here for whom English is not even their first language...that always impresses me! As LaureG so astutely said about Freddie: "Freddie is eternal, modern and he is more than a legend.... he's still here. He will always be here." That people feel that way the world over is truly astonishing!

Thor...There are many people who cannot make it to shows they buy tickets for. If you wanted to attend the Queen + Adam Lambert concert, you might be able to get some very inexpensive tickets closer to the day of the show. When you attended Freddie's shows, were you actually given tickets, or did you not even need those? Was just wondering if you kept ticket stubs? I always do!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie65, so good to see you again!

Mika, the translation was wonderful. Thanks so much! I thought that was funny about Phoebe standing in for the dancer so they could figure timing. I also liked that Rudi talked about the care he took when filming TWTDOFL. Knowing that Freddie wanted one final take to make his good-bye really touches me. You translated exactly the parts I wanted to hear.

Thor, I think my ticket for WWRY was about $65. I paid just about the same for Queen+AL. We are up high, but that's fine.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, that’s funny! Great idea to have a halogram at work, as long as your job doesn’t require speaking to anyone at work

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd- just wondering what venue you are seeing Queen + AL-there is nothing under $300 per ticket in my area- I think the cheapest I saw them for was $99 in the nose bleed section almost behind the stage and that was in January- those seats are no longer available

Is anyone else finding these ticket prices that high- definitely a case of supply and demand with these 3rd part sellers.

As stated above , it is nice to see people from around the globe unite to share their feelings about Freddie.

Lsgp03

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut wrote:

I didn't want to say but yes I've been crying , it just pains me seeing someone else with brain and Roger . It's the first time I've seen Adam's American idol performance, boy he did an amazing performance of ,whole lotta love '

I know, it’s like after a break up and you see your ex with the new boyfriend or girlfriend. But like the song, the show must go on

Lsgp03

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LaureG wrote:

Hello there, I am happy to join you today . I've been trying to read your posts but I am not finished yet. Just a few words about me, I'm French and I'm 42. I LOVE Freddie's music beyond words. It means a lot to me and as far as I can remember, I've always been a fan. But the shy kind of fan so I didn't dare writing here...
What made me change my mind was the other day when my 8 year old son asked me to put Radio Gaga in the car on our way back home from school and he started "singing" with all his heart though he doesn't speak nor understand English at all. An extraordinary moment for me. Freddie is eternal, modern and he is more than a legend.... he's still here. He will always be here.

Welcome LauraG !

Lsgp03

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika thank you so much!

Lsgp03

Posted: 01 May 19, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mika251 wrote:

Doughnut and anybody else

here is a very brief and very unprofessional translation of the German Show. I didn´t know it took for 2 hours :D But it was very well done, I have never seen it before so thank you for posting it I enjoyed it a lot.
There were some interesting bits about Barbara Valentine and Rudi Dolezal spoke very fondly about Freddie. I´m looking forward to his book.

I translated only the discussion in the studio as the clips with Queen history don´t mention anything new.

The hologram performance was heartbreaking. I couldn´t watch it till the end. Jim looked so sad and did you notice that Phoebe wasn´t watching at all? Poor boy.

And that singer from Scorpions singing Love of my life? He´s got a nerve! I mean, even Adam Lambert doesn´t dare to sing it live because it´s simply Freddie´s song.

So enjoy the reading and apologize my English :) I´m still learning :)

Mika thank you so much!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, we are seeing them in a big arena in Columbus, Ohio. It's a bit of a drive, but not a big problem. But after you posted I realized that the price I told you was too low. We paid about $83 per ticket. I thought that was a great price. We saw Andrea Bocelli (I have wide ranging musical tastes) last December and paid $200 for those tickets, again, up high.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At first I thought I don't want to see the new documentary but as you speak so fondly about it I will give it a chance. For quite a long time I avoided everything connected to Queen after 1997 but now I think, if there would be a tour in Europe I would probably attend. Just to hear half of the Queen live. And also, songs they made are simply great. Of course Freddie's performance made them absolutely unique, marvelous fabulous and fantastic and Adam doesn't have a chance to have 1% of Freddie's charisma in my eyes but still, he can sing and he performs them quite good :) so hopefully there will be some concert near to Prague one day :)

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I also cried when I watched it. Seeing Freddie on the screen at the back of the stage singing the end of Bohemian Rhapsody just broke my heart to pieces. I'm not very cool and collected when it comes to being confronted with his absence.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Honey.Chile, I checked out the "WWRY" Milton Keynes' videos you recommended on YouTube. Are you referring to the fast version of the song, where Freddie is dressed completely in white or the one where he is wearing a sombrero - weirdly enough?

@doughnut, thanks for the link to the German TV special of Freddie's "TOTDOOD" hologram. I'm glad I got to place a face to the name for Rudi Dolezal and to see Jim and Phoebe's poignant reaction to the hologram.

@mika251, thanks for translating the German TV special from German to English. You are awesome! If I'm correct, Czech is your native language, yet you managed to translate German to English? Wow!

Posted: 02 May 19, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,

Our Queen + Adam concert tickets were $99.50 apiece, not including fees. I have never been to this particular arena before (Xfinity Center, just outside of Boston), but the seats looked decent enough. We are a little more than half way back, but still in the section with a roof (in case of rain). The lawn seats cost about half that amount, however, those looked pretty far from the stage...definitely binocular seats!

We got our tickets back in the beginning of December when they went on sale. From what I could see, most of the venues sold out pretty quickly, but like I mentioned to Thor, there are always people looking to get rid of tickets. For this tour, Queen has partnered with Twickets for resales. People cannot sell tickets on this site above the face value. I just looked at that site and unfortunately, most of the venues have no tickets available right now. That will probably change though. Here is the link in case you are interested:

You are right about tickets through 3rd party sellers. They can be ridiculously priced. Often those tickets are purchased just to resell and make money. On Stubhub, in the same exact section I am sitting in, 21 rows in front of me, someone is selling a ticket for $707. That is nuts!

Posted: 02 May 19, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops...it probably helps if I actually post the link! :)

https://www.twickets.live/

FreddieDearie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThunderGod and Lee Nolan and others encouraging the following bigoted and offensive behavior:

"It is one thing to passively mention a detail from Jim's book as a way to discuss important details about prevention etc...

But that is not how these people are discussing these details."

You need to be more careful with the kind of "fans": you're dealing with here and elsewhere, like Instagram.

Why are CIS adolescent girls and young "women" like @Queen_Memes.kl @jimandFreddieForever @freddiesheaux @fatbottomedgirll et all ....fetishising LBGTQ bodies and sex lives?

This is a grossly inappropriate curiosity. Carolyn Hendrix, a LCSW-supervisor... [gay fetishism ] comes from a sense of otherness,...For someone who doesn’t identify with queer culture or the trans and gender-diverse communities, society has created [there's] an ‘us versus them’ [mentality], ... created this narrative to form the idea that ‘we’re not them,’ which creates that inappropriate curiosity....

Yes, the cisgender, heterosexual population only has male-female relationships to base their understandings on, but that still doesn’t equal a green light for them to ask invasive questions to queer folks.

..with the myriad of ways for straight couples to have sex, we don’t see an endless parade of queer folks asking their straight brothers, parents, cousins, and friends who tops and who bottoms.

Could that be, perhaps, because we understand that questions of this nature are wild invasions of privacy?

***The fact that this courtesy of privacy is not extended to queer people is explained****

It's bigotry. It's a cloaked form of homophobia. Plain and simple

The little girls and young women doing this all over instagram, (many of which Thor is engaging with to have them help him make money off of their observations of Freddie's life)

LBGTQ people are not YOURS to play with, little girls. I’m tired of straight people's homosexual-sexual terrorism of Queer bodies and sexual acts.

Gay bodies and sex lives not in existence for straight people's entertainment. titillation and prejudiced obsession.

A fetish like this is an extremely WARPED fixation to "Others'.
There are sexual fetishes and nonsexual fetishes: both are obsessive.

What they've been doing is a strange proclivity in excessive and irrational obsession of gay bodies and sexual acts.

Using LBGTQ bodies and sex lives as fodder for adolescent and young cis women's titillation and entertainment is a horrendous trend happening.

Do you really think it's ok for these young girls to be writing up sexual fan fiction fetishisising Freddie and Jim's sex lives and explicitly talking about their bodies?

This is NOT OK.

This is based in prejudice, "Otherism" and homophobia. They think they cloak it in being "open" to gay sexual activity that justifies their behavior. But it doesn't.

Just like it's not ok for White people to be discussing and fetishising Black people's body parts, and what their sexual activity must be like, making jokes about their hair,
or considering who is more "authentically black" based on skin color etc...

The same holds true for respecting gay men and not using their bodies and sex lives as foder for adolecent and young cis women's titilation and entertainment.

WHY ARE STRAIGHT FOLKS OBSESSED WITH LGBTQ FOLKS’ BODIES AND SEX LIVES?

https://www.spectrumsouth.com/straight-folks-obsessed-lgbtq-bodies/

https://www.wweek.com/culture/2017/11/03/were-not-here-for-white-peoples-pleasure-on-race-fetish-and-objectification/

Attachment: 2019521113806482.jpeg 180 KB
This has been downloaded 20 time(s).

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Morning from the uk.
I shall catch up after work today but thank you so much mika you are a star . I feel the same about queen without Freddie it's hard

I forgot yesterday was happy hump day

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to say an enormous THANK YOU to Mika for translating and transcribing the German chat show where they showed the Freddie Hologram (though I did wish they could have shown a hologram of a time when he didn't look so very poorly)

That was so very kind of you to take the time to do that for us and I know we all appreciate it.

When I've seen the video before I've wondered what was being said. Thank you!

I love the thought of Phoebe standing in for Debbie! Wonder if he wore the black mini dress?! LOL!

Lovely to see some of my favourite posters active. Nice to have Katydyd5 back in the mix again.

Welcome to our newbies ( well _most_ of them) I hope you find joy and enlightenment in this thread. And yes Freddie IS getting legend! He is immortal! He seems somehow every bit as much a part of our lives and culture as ever he was. Shows the power, influence and charisma of this amazing man.

If anyone is wondering my stick insects are still healthy and all present and correct and growing at a rate if knots!

Hope you all have a great Thursday. Is it Bank Holiday for anywhere else in the world on Monday?

Bye Bye

FreddieDARLING

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 02 May 19, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all just wanted to say hello and I hope you’re Days have been good.