Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Mier user not visiting Queenzone.com
Take a message of love
Mier
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Thor and Lee!

Lady from Holland is calling :)
I have read al the pages from Thor's previous topic and this one as well. Wanted to join in at the 10th..but my shyness held me under the carpet :D Love all the stories that I read about Freddie.
Thank you so much Thor and Lee and everyone who's joining here. Maybe my English will be rubbish here and there, but I hope I can make myself a bit understandable if I want to ask a question. So I have one burning under my fingertips... Can one of u tell me which brand shoes did Freddie wore back at these days? Did he always had sneakers on? Was he devoted to Adidas? mostly white sneakers? or other colours as well? I'm asking this because I love sneakers :D
A big warm wave from overseas!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Lee....So Thor....you've expressed you're views on watching Freddie giving live performances.......But WHAT was it like to Actually be in the recording studio w/Fred while he was Creating??? What were ur impressions of Rheinhold Mack??? He comes across on interviews as such a Calm and grounded soul????

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People, just a thought.

Don't you think it's a bit rich getting all prissy about a great candid audio of Fred getting hammered and arsing about with his mates but also being adamant (correctly) that the film should not sanitise him?
We all know he was no saint and like all of us he could do and say shitty things. Because he was flawed is one of the reasons he's such a hero of mine, because he was imperfect. He could be rude, foul mouthed, aggressive and bitchy. All of which could be very very funny. Let us not forget he jumped into a crowd and punched a photographer (topical offence at the moment) and was known for telling fans to fuck off upon occasion. Some on here are desperate to cast Mary as the villain yet clearly Freddie wasn't, neither did he ever portray himself as a victim.

"Do what you want with me, but for God's sake don't make me boring"
"Remember me how you fucking well want Dear, but not as boring".

And yes I get the "f" word is deeply offensive. It's not the first time I've heard recordings of Fred using it.

Btw as an aside John was at that gathering, he was mixing the drinks.

Thor and Lee thanks for your continued contribution.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

People, just a thought.

Don't you think it's a bit rich getting all prissy about a great candid audio of Fred getting hammered and arsing about with his mates but also being adamant (correctly) that the film should not sanitise him?
We all know he was no saint and like all of us he could do and say shitty things. Because he was flawed is one of the reasons he's such a hero of mine, because he was imperfect. He could be rude, foul mouthed, aggressive and bitchy. All of which could be very very funny. Let us not forget he jumped into a crowd and punched a photographer (topical offence at the moment) and was known for telling fans to fuck off upon occasion. Some on here are desperate to cast Mary as the villain yet clearly Freddie wasn't, neither did he ever portray himself as a victim.

"Do what you want with me, but for God's sake don't make me boring"
"Remember me how you fucking well want Dear, but not as boring".

And yes I get the "f" word is deeply offensive. It's not the first time I've heard recordings of Fred using it.

Btw as an aside John was at that gathering, he was mixing the drinks.

Thor and Lee thanks for your continued contribution.

Well said LOTV! The flaws are part of the package and I wouldn't want anything less. I don't want to get anything going on Mary, but I agree with you completely. Freddie was no victim.

Thor and Lee, thanks so much for putting up with all of the fun and some of the nonsense that goes on here. I've got an actual list of questions for both of you, but I don't want to overwhelm.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Freddie's loves, I just watched it again. I stand by that both our hosts come across as just fine and I really don't see why the furore, it's a bit of harmless fun. Tacky in places but on the whole it's very complementary and warm towards Fred. I think some on here are in danger of canonizing the man.

Also, Phoebe says Freddie slept with both (although I do think that may just be mischevious editing ;-) )

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, please check your pm when you have the time. :)

Take a message of love
Mier

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take a message of love
Mier

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take a message of love
Mier

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sh*t, the site works really really great :D Absolutely awesome to write down 5 times my question. Let me do it one more time..because I can't get enough..

About Mary,
If she was so protective and wanted to respect Freddie's wishes to keep Garden Lodge private, why did she do an interview including pictures inside the house? With her standing like a model in his art decor?

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All.......been very holiday busy. miss you

Mier...welcome.......sneakers, huh, I'm seeing sneakers in my mind, but not to a point that it was too much.

Blenkolove

We were at the recording studio a couple of times. He unceremoniously took charge and definitely knew his way around. I think I told this story in the last thread.......Once we went to the studio, and I had a terrible hangover.......LOL.......it was in L.A., and let's just say that we had a very good time each night. Freddie ALWAYS "rallied" (his word) and was on his game. He looked at me, and said something like "Kathleen, you look green.........why don't you go nap in the car". He said it with complete kindness and caring, and I was THRILLED to take him up on his suggestion. I fell asleep in the car for a period, and everyone came out so we could go to dinner right next store to the studio at a place call Entourage. I have always meant to try and find it, so will finally do so. Freddie came and woke me up........HA!. We get inside and it's me, Freddie, Roger, and me at the table waiting for the rest to come.......I was a zombie........and Freddie asked me to tell Roger a Bette Midler joke that he LOVED. I do NOT know how I did it, but I "rallied" and was able to deliver the joke much to their enjoyment. Freddie laughed like he hadn't ever heard me tell the joke the many times I had. GOD, I love Bette Midler. I had a dog named Bette for a while. She was like half the size of Delilah.

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jumping back to Freddie's Loves for a minute........

Though I felt a little duped regarding the premise of the producer, they were very kind to us, and very appreciative of our input.

There WERE some outlandish comments made in the project, but there were also a lot of loving caring thoughts coming from people who LOVED Freddie. We were, and I know Thor will agree, very proud to be two of Freddie's loves on the friendship level..........

P.S. We had NEVER heard about Barbara to the best of my recollection..........had we Thor? We were a bit taken aback with that story.

I DID love the birthday party video......it one of my favorite Freddie videos. As you know, it took two nights of taping......one with Freddie alone, and one WITH the party revelers.......would have LOVED to have been there.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV,
Go a little easy on me, ok? Since this site is visited by a few trolls, I just assumed this was some intolerant and trashy information.
Both Lee and I have explained how the "F" word affects our feelings. I had never seen this link before and it didn't look like
something I wanted to see.. I didn't know if Freddie had ever used that word with us but I'm pretty sure he didn't.
I have already apologized as soon as I found out the truth. I am not prissy nor ever have been

Sponge Caves user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sponge Caves
Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

Some on here are desperate to cast Mary as the villain yet clearly Freddie wasn't, neither did he ever portray himself as a victim.

He did play the victim a bit to be honest. Example 1: "No one wants to share their life with me". Granted he allowed traitors and users into his life but he was a serial cheat. Almost every relationship from Mary onwards. Phoebe said he didn't appreciate getting cheated on in return. He felt he could do what he wanted but they weren't allowed.

Playing the victim example 2: All that melodramatic stuff about having no friends, that everyone in his life was fake and lying about liking him, when he obviously had many people in his life who adored him.

Sponge Caves

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

Some on here are desperate to cast Mary as the villain yet clearly Freddie wasn't, neither did he ever portray himself as a victim.

When I first got into Freddie I thought he and Mary's friendship was sweet. But reading HER interviews in combination with others' opinions made me see this sweet love story isn't what it seems.

She made herself the 'villain' by slagging off his friends, family and the band and being ungrateful. Plus all the contradictory stories and admitting she wasn't even in love with him at first.

Sponge Caves

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

Regarding Freddie's loves, I just watched it again. I stand by that both our hosts come across as just fine and I really don't see why the furore, it's a bit of harmless fun. Tacky in places but on the whole it's very complementary and warm towards Fred. I think some on here are in danger of canonizing the man.

Also, Phoebe says Freddie slept with both (although I do think that may just be mischevious editing ;-) )

Yeah...no one's ever denied Freddie had slept with women at some point. A lot of gay men do at first.
You're lowkey a bi-screamer and it's boring.

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noorie

please check your pm

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is anyone else not able to quote on this forum at the moment? It's stopped me replying to 3 people...ah well

Lee, I really love all the stories, along with Thor's. :-)

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, please check yours. :)

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SmokyQuartz, please let your cursor hover next to the date of the post you want to reply to. There is 'edit post', 'reply to post' and 'reply with quote' - all invisible until you hover over them! :) Click on the 'reply with quote'.

Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 387 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 17, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This discussion of did Freddie was bi or gay going to never end it, as it seems to me.
It's not that important to me.He didn't made music only for gay people or only for straight people but for all people.
Why is it so important did he slept with both women and men?
I think it is much more important that he found love and the person who loved him and whom he loved and that person was a man.

My question on page 18 is still unanswered. If you want to give answer it would be fine and if you don't want to give answer thanks in that case too.