Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 19, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be a blast to go to Montreux for Freddie's 75th birthday. That is on my bucket list if I win the lottery! I wonder how many tickets they sell for that event? They have sold out for the past few years. Has anyone ever been to one of the Freddie birthday bashes?

I called my mother about 5 minutes before the Queen + Adam Lambert special aired the other day to let her know it was on. She said she would start watching it (I think as a favor to me) but ended up watching the entire show and thought it was really good. I have sent her so many YouTube videos over the past few years. She has come to really admire Freddie's talent and thinks he had an amazing voice. So not only are there new, young fans coming on board, there are new, "senior" fans as well. My mom is 77.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am still here. Just taking a break for now. Exciting news coming soon.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....What a tease you are, Thor!

Just give us the release date so we can buy it already!!!!!! :)

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 03 May 19, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Chevyman. I guess I never really introduced myself to anyone so here goes.
I’m 53 and a retired personal trainer. Yep. I really do love working out and I keep adapting as I age. Functional training was my specialty, mostly for women.
I now work in a jr/sr high school running the office which I sort of consider my retirement since the hours are pretty good.

I’ve been a fan of Queen ever since my teenage years and have great memories of singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of my lungs at many a keg party.
I love dry wines..both red and white and tend to taste a few too many on the weekends at times.
I really admire Freddie Mercury as a musician and the more I learn about him, as a human being. I am totally enjoying finding others who feel the same way.
I am a relatively quiet poster and will chime in from time to time.
Thats all for now....sorry it got a little long.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 03 May 19, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh....and that sounds interesting Thor!
Again....need a smiley emoticon

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie65, thanks for the intro! I feel like you've been with us for a while, but all of that was new to me. I'm glad to hear you will chime in when you want. I thought we might have lost you.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling wrote:

Upon rewatching the German show with the Freddie Hologram I noticed that at 5:28 while Peter Freestone is looking down as Freddie sings the closing line of "These Are The Days Of Our Lives" Peter seems to mouth the line "I Still
Love You."

I'd be interested to learn the opinions of other thread members as to whether Peter was quietly singing along, or if his words were directed to his best friend Freddie ?

Only nice, reasonable, people need reply to this straw poll. :-)

Thank You.

Lsgp03

Posted: 03 May 19, 03:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling, I gave my opine, but not sure where it went, unless its delayed. So I will attempt here. I think its a little of both. I believe its also bittersweet nostalgia as well. It made me sad to see it and hear it, so you can only imagine how it was for Peter and Jim. A bygone era of a loved one.
Also, a few months back, I saw a Peter interview where he said “ I guess I was in love with him, only I never would have slept with him”
So I believe Peter was singing along, as most were, but I also think he meant it at the same time, but more for the love of a close and trusted friend at that moment in Germany.

Lsgp03

Posted: 03 May 19, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’ll see if I can locate that Freestone video. There’s another video with Mack but its a audio radio interview with Midge Ure or produced with Midge, where Mack said Freddie had an emotional breakdown and confided something to him in the studio during Mr. Bad Guy in Munich. Freddie ordered everyone out of the studio except Mack. The radio interview is the only one where one can hear it. Its Macks voice without a doubt. A bit surprised he mentioned it but after so many years I guess one feels its ok. The same Interview had several people close to Freddie in it.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp03

Mack mentioned something like this also in The Great Pretender documentary. One of the saddest moments for me, I felt for Freddie so much. Poor thing.

To be perfectly honest and I really hope I won't be misunderstood now, sometimes I'm angry at his close friends that nobody talked sense to him and they just enjoyed wild life without really considerong what he was going through - I think it was Brian who mentioned in one documentary something like "we should care about him more and he could be here now".
It seems Munich period was very happy and very difficult for him at the same time. I'm still trying to really understand what it was all about and I still don't know.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor so exciting to hear you have news to share! Yee Haw!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika I feel exactly the same , why didn't someone stop him but in David Evans book it mentions that either he or David minns spoke to John and asked why did no-one stop him and John replied basically saying Freddie would not listen .

Tbh Peter is lovely but it's him that I think could have tried but why he didn't who knows . Again no-one knew Freddie would end up with aids but it wasn't known about in the beginning. It's all so tragic and there are many what if questions .

I have seen Peter say he was in love with Freddie but wouldn't have sex with him in 'Freddie's loves' I think he meant it in a friendship way.I have also read Mack mention Freddie's emotional breakdown . I'm sure Peter Hince mentioned it too. Mack said Barbara was a bad influence at that time.

If I'm honest I feel Jim came along at the right time and helped Freddie emotionally on so many levels. As Terry said 'Jim gave him the love he hadn't had for a long time '.

Freddie darling I imagine Peter is saying ' I still live you ' to freddie. Bless him .

Right got to go , just had to sort out my two fighting girls , just what I need first thing lol

Posted: 03 May 19, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh villiers live cut off mid way through , did that happen to anyone else ?

I'm amazed at what she has found out. Just crazy !

Posted: 03 May 19, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh poop I've one more thing

I don't believe they are planning a sequel , I personally don't want one . It took long enough to do the first . We know the outcome and it doesn't need to be said unless they make it about queen after Freddie

Posted: 03 May 19, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie I'm 46 and a love a few glasses of the white stuff at the weekend . Cheers

Posted: 03 May 19, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh doughnut what did villiers find out? Now Im really curious! Where can I find it? :)

I agree with you completely. I also think Freddie wouldn't listen. He was a grown man. And nobody knows, maybe they tried.

And I don't want to judge his lifestyle it was something which was completely up to him, I just feel sad that there were so many people around and some of them influenced him very badly whereas the good one's couldn't do anything.
I still sound quite judgmental and I don't want to. I don't believe they could save him from getting AIDS. But he could be happier at that time. Maybe. We can't really know.

Posted: 03 May 19, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika I will pm you .

Posted: 03 May 19, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And to me you don't sound judgemental just concerned and sad that things weren't different. I feel the same .

I wish Freddie was still here although I wonder what he would be like as an old man lol

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@lsgp03 ( I keep reading that as LGPS as that's my pension fund company) Yes, Doughnut was correct, it as in "Freddie's Loves" in which Peter said that upon reflection that yes he thought he as in love with Freddie, that he wouldn't have had sex with him in a million years, but yes he loved him (sweet!)

The Mack statement about Freddie's emotional breakdown in Munich came from the BBC Radio 4 Documentary The Mysterious Mr. Mercury (both of these are available in YourTube) where Midge Ure investigated the enduring appeal of Freddie, and interviewed various of Freddie's friends and colleagues. I have to say it isn't information I would share about a friend even after they had passed. Confidences are sacrosanct. But, I do love Mack and I think he gave Freddie at least SOME emotional and social stability during his residency in Germany.

Freddie was a force of nature, especially at this time in his life when he was like an express train hurtling around from one station to the next sampling the bacchanalian delights at each. He'd be pretty hard to redirect, I imagine. Naturally when somebody dies we all torture ourselves over things we have said, or not said, done or failed to do. That's human nature.

I have a copy of an earlier draft of the Bohemian Rhapsody script and in it is a passage where Freddie asks the band to look our for him if he get out of control at any point and sort of come in and get him back.

While I found the film to be full of half-truths, and sometimes blatant lies, I think that Brian May must have suggested at some time in the writing process that he regrets not trying to rein Freddie in more and feels some (perhaps erroneous) guilt for failing to do so.

I know that Brian, Roger and John miss Freddie terribly and were heartbroken at his loss. Nobody can argue that point. They gave each described Freddie as their best friend. That speaks volumes to me.

Have a great Friday everyone.

A nice long weekend for we Brits.:-)

I'm off to see how the local elections went yesterday.

Posted: 03 May 19, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Darling thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't find right words for it.
I have heard the BBC 4 documentary but you wrote "both are available" - what is the second one?

And that copy of Bohemian rhapsody! That's very interesting! Would it be very daring to ask you, if you could share it somewhere? I'd love to hear it.
EDIT: I have read your post again and now I understand you mean the movie script, not the real song :) (I missed the word script for the first time). So you don´t have to share anything, I just thought it was something the real Freddie said.

I wish a nice weekend to UK and great working Friday to everywhere else ??