Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 19, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Delete...that is seriously funny lol

Now when I translate something I think of you :) I just assumed it would be translated word for word, how silly am I.

Posted: 03 May 19, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chevyman there is a lovely group on FB called 'Freddie Jim Love Made in Heaven. I feel you will fit right in there :)

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika, thank you so much for the translation of the German TV show! :)

To all, actually it was not a hologram, here is an explanation how it was done:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1312339/freddie-hologram-in-germany.aspx

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I fall so behind in these conversations! I am really trying though. Anyway. The Queen & AL docu! I thought it was great. I will forever wish I had been able to see Queen when Freddie was alive, but that's not going to happen. If given the chance I would see Q&AL as it does seem they are very much trying to pay tribute throughout the show to Freddie, and even seeing him on a screen like that would make me happy. Adam's voice is a bit too smooth and theatrical for my taste on Queen songs, but I do like him, he seems to be a good person who holds Freddie in the highest regards. And he is an excellent performer in his own right.

The clips shown where AL was performing Somebody to Love and Crazy Little Thing, were the most obvious to me that would be lacking experience wise. Freddie playing the piano and guitar are major reasons I love to hear/see the live versions of those songs. I am curious for anyone who has seen the Q&AL show, what do they do in place of Roger's "Ready Freddie?!"

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[b]doughnut wrote:

I listened to 'live at the Bowl' on my way home from work today....you cannot beat Queen live!!! Freddie is just amazing live :) Somebody to love is my all time fav :)

My words. I have all their gigs with a good sound quality on CDs in my car and we listen to them all the time. My 3 years old daughter loves it. Obviously she is in team "nobody is allowed to speak when Freddie sings" so I can't sing along anymore but I'm a proud mum. We use to dance on "living on my own" at home, she comes and asks for "dee do dee day" song.

Somebody to love is a real gem. I love how Freddie never did the same intro twice. I have collected all the best intros from various gigs and put them all together and the last one continues with the whole song. It's a real eargasm :)

Do you think Thor will be angry that we are ruining his wonderful thread speaking about OT stuff? My apologize Thor!

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, thank you for the link to Cameron Deacon's video!!! I wish so much to hear anything from Deaky himself, but if that's not going to happen, at least we can watch his son's videos. :) I'm really happy now:)

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*his son's and daughter's videos

(I never even knew about Rayne Deacon! Shame on me.)

Anyway, the "uncle Rogaaah" bit made me laugh so much)))

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

awww I have visions of you and your daughter singing along. It is our duty to teach our children all about fab music and Freddie.

Awww how can Thor mind as we are talking so fondly of one of his best friends. If I were Thor I would be proud to see (for the most part) people talking so lovely about Freddie. Hi Thor if you see this, we love you :)

Russialand Cameron Deacon is adorable isn't he. I love his reaction to the Bo Rhap trailer and the fact he went to see Queen and Adam Lambert in London. The next one I am planning to watch is his top 10 queen songs ....I suspect John's may be included lol

Selkie the 'ready Freddie' part in Crazy little thing called love' is another fav. I can't imagine it being anything other than 'ready freddie'. That is just to sad to think about. I love the live versions for the same reason as you

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut wrote:

Selkie the 'ready Freddie' part in Crazy little thing called love' is another fav. I can't imagine it being anything other than 'ready freddie'. That is just to sad to think about. I love the live versions for the same reason as you

Crazy little thing called love is my next project - to collect all the ways Freddie claimed he can't play guitar before this song. I love Queen live especially because of their banter. They were hilarious.
I would say Roger still sings Ready Freddie part. It can't be anything other.
Everytime I need a shot in the arm I watch the version from Sebu Lions in Japan (it was on Milton Keynes Dvd as a bonus). This version has everything. Freddie on his peak physically and musically, great fun on stage and several moments where I simply destroy the repeat button :) best version of Crazy little things IMO

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also love the banter on the lives too. Today I listened to freddie in 1982 saying '10 years ago I learnt to play three cords on the guitar and I still only know the same three cords ' Funny.

I am going to have to search out the Milton Keynes DVD as currently I watch it on SKY and there are no bonus features.

Posted: 03 May 19, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbjLpueVYk

Here you are :)
I had to watch it again right after I finished my post :)
No mum, I'm not addicted, I have it under control :)

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Mika! That is an excellent live version of Crazy! Freddie looks like he's having a kick-ass time. The Milton Keynes Somebody to Love is definitely one of my faves and I've watched it like 37000 times I think.

Posted: 03 May 19, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mika thank you, I loved it. amazing xxxxx

Posted: 03 May 19, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

selkie me too.....

Posted: 03 May 19, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are welcome :)
One thing I love about this song live is that Freddie isn't moving that much. So we can enjoy very nice and very long close ups of his face. Delightful. Same goes to any other song at the piano. It's a pity there are not more videos of their live shows. He looked gorgeous at that time.

Deedree user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deedree
Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just had a thought. To stop these trolls butting in on the conversations here couldn’t we move all this to a Secret Facebook group
I’m pretty sure most of us would have Facebook accounts. Then from there it’s easy to delete and block trolls. I’m admin of a Facebook group and we deal with trolls daily. Easy to get rid of there but not
so easy here apparently. Let’s get rid of the rubbish! We could message each other the details of the group privately. I’m happy to set it up. What are your thoughts everyone?
Doughnut?? What do you think?

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Weighing in on the Munich days. They really do seem like rough times. I recall Brian saying in an interview that he felt they all got into deep emotional trouble there...especially Freddie. On the other hand, Peter seems to recall the Munich days as a lot of fun so I wonder which perspective Freddie would agree with?

I really don’t believe anyone could have convinced Freddie to stop and slow down until he himself felt it right. Perhaps the combination of Garden Lodge being ready, meeting Jim, and a growing fear of contracting aids helped him pack up and leave the Munich scene?

In any case, I think his face in most of the photos taken after he left, seem to show a happier more relaxed and content person. Just my thoughts .

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 958 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie, This is just my take on the German years they were toxic times for him.Barbara Valentin didnt help any plus all the lies she was telling press about them being a couple.I just think he might of wanted to get away from that crazy life with her.If he remained there with her he would still be drinking heavy and the drugs .She was his drug he had to get away from her and that crazy life.It to me had nothing to do with the AIDS thing.

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman...I’m inclined to agree about Barbara Valentin being a negative influence. The conundrum to me is that Peter seemed to think she was just tons of fun. I may be interpreting that wrong.

Btw.....I love visiting vineyards and doing the tastings! We look for wineries every time we go anywhere on vacation.. :)

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dough it....it is never too early for a glass of wine!