Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Meant Doughnut. Auto correct can’t spell properly.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh I almost forgot he probably seemed happier when he first got to Munich because Barbara was satisfied with being his friend and he wasnt that deep into the party scene yet.Remember misery always loves company and Barbara was his misery and the life was the rock bottom.But on a positive note I think he realised who his true friends were in the end and surrounded himself in their company.Those friends include these two guys that run this forum.

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie,I think at first Barbara was fun and then she showed her true colors.They say Freddie used to go out the back door of the bar when she would come in the front.I think she fell in love with him and that was part of the problem.He was gay and she loved him I guess .He had a boyfriend there and she was jealious of that.Even if he weren't gay and he definitely was they would've made the oddest couple.To be honest I dont know what he was thinking the guy he dated there wasn't very attractive either. He was a big guy and Barbara was too.All the other men were young and hot that he dated.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 21:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Mika...

Just watched "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" on the link you posted. Had never seen that version before. FANTASTIC! Such incredible joyous energy on stage. Loved the interaction between Freddie and Roger and then Freddie and Fred Mandel on the piano. Of course I always love Brian's guitar work.

At one point both Freddie and Brian go behind a speaker...it's hard to tell what they are doing...but it looks like they are quickly giving someone (Ratty) a "high-five" ????

Posted: 03 May 19, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I meant to say was that I thought he looked happier after he left Munich.
I thought he looked so much healthier and happier at Live Aid....I think someone else mentioned that already and I’m in agreement.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow

You highlighted all my favourite parts. I love the interaction between Freddie and Roger and especially how he is smiling after it. He looks like a small boy satisfied with himself.

And yes they are definitely chasing Ratty. He has his hat with clapping hands on the head. He mentioned it in his book.

And the staccato on piano! I know he had a metronome inside his head but... Just amazing.

Anyway, did you notice smoke coming out of his mouth? It was an open air gig in November! At some point it looked like steam coming out of his head :) Freddie on fire, literally.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie I agreee with you, I think Freddie in 1986 seemed to be very happy and content. Also when I compare his interaction with the audience during Magic tour, he is far less aggressive than before, still full of energy, but his presence is simply different. And I like it, he shows very much of his soft side.
And he didn't sing Somebody to love. I don't remember who mentioned it already several pages before. He didn't need to sing it anymore.

Posted: 03 May 19, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika...thanks for the Crazy video...that was fun!!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did notice that you could see their breath in some of the shots. I figured it must be fairly chilly out...but Freddie was still working up a sweat. The great moments that Freddie created on stage were always far more than a sum of his incredible voice, his stage presence, his good looks etc. Somehow it all came together to create something that was even bigger and more magical...he was simply the best!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 03 May 19, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika, thanks so much for sharing the "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" link!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I sent you a PM.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika, I hadn't seen that version of Crazy. Thanks for the link!! So much energy and fun on the stage and I love when they interact with each other.

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Mika

that was me who mentioned Somebody to Love and you are right he's more playful rather than I don't think I can use the word, serious, but like you said he's just giddy. It started that way at Live Aid and Peter Freestone did say that his energy and just enthusiasm is partly to do with Jim's emotional influence and they had only been together a month by then. From Thor saying that "he was proud of his man" I bet he was happy. He even told David Wigg on that tour he was happy with his relationship but made him leave out where he asked if it was a male or female. Which is understandable, but for him to admit it in an interview in 1986 that shows you he was in love. Also to the skeptic who thinks that because

SM can't know how Freddie felt about Jim since he wasn't alive that's bs? People can see love it's not that hard to see from letters Jim had and memories I'm sure he told him. Love is obvious. I can tell if my friend is truly in love and loved back by the way they act and talk. So it's not unheard of that he could just "know." I have a best friend whose husband I hate so much but I can tell he treats her well and is good to HER so how I feel isn't important. Sean seems that he spent a lot of time with Jim so I mean it doesn't take a genius to see if someone is fooling themselves.

Posted: 04 May 19, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

okay my punctuation and wording is strange on the last part of that last answer what I'm saying is SM COULD EASILY know it sounds like I'm saying he couldn't. Sorry for all that confusion how it sounds in my head and how it goes down in print can be way different.

Posted: 04 May 19, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie

the Munich times were emotional because that was when Paul Prenter was pulling Freddie out of the studio to go clubbing. Prenter was a subversive influence. He would fight with Barbara Valentin and was really kind of "homeless" He either stayed with her or Winnie and Peter says "All of Munich knows about the fights with Winnie" It wasn't exactly the healthiest of relationships and he had Prenter kind of taking him away from work which we all know is unusual so I think that's what Brian meant. He may have "thought" he was happy but he does say in the 1987 interview about the "niche" that he always thought relationships had to be stormy because he thought that was normal. It was all he knew and he thought they all had to be that way. Until he met Jim of course.

Peter also says that Freddie was incredibly loyal to anyone he loved friend or lover, and Bill Reid is a prime example that he sometimes ignores the bad things other people can see when he is friends with someone. The band says that was the time of them being the most distant from each other and the band would have seen the affect Prenter, Winnie, and Barbara were having on Freddie. He had a fun "lifestyle" maybe but I don't think he was "happy." He might have had some fun ,but the relationships were the kind that when you are in them you don't see how toxic they are or what the real toll is. I think that's maybe what they meant. I don't think he was happy. I had a time much the same where I was doing very toxic things and hanging out with toxic people and I was having fun, but looking back I wasn't happy but I thought I was. But really I was slowly self destructing.

Posted: 04 May 19, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk, Barbara was a regular around the clubs and drug seens in Munich. He didnt need Paul not when he had her she knew everybody he started running with alot of her crew.Yes they were her friends and also bad influences too.She took him down skid row alley.She was an aging actress and she liked him and kept him dazed and confused that's all I'm gonna say.Winnie was her friend before Freddie's boyfriend.Paul was no worse than any of the others during those times.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy - thanks for the info on Barbara - didn't she return to Garden Lodge to see Freddie before he died?

I just recently watched part one of The Magic Years - with all the talk about their giddiness on stage sometimes - I must say - the making of the video One Vision made me laugh out loud. I really enjoyed watching the band work together to create their music.

Mika - have you come across any videos from their studio recordings that you particularly like - you share some treasures - thanks for that!!

Posted: 04 May 19, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EMDEE The One Vision documentary and I think one from News of the World are the only ones I've ever found and trust me I look. There weren't always cameras in the studio. So those are pretty rare. Though I could be wrong.

Posted: 04 May 19, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee.I dont think I that last year she visited but prior to that I think she did.She hated London because everyone called her poison .Bad influence on Freddie .

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's 2 and half minutes of Roger Taylor screaming "Ready Freddie?" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAx25Xc2GM

There is also a clip an interview with Roger where he says he has the best seat because he gets to see all of Freddie's facial expression when he had his back to the audience.