Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 May 19, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy

Nice one thank you! There is no better way how to start you day than listening to Freddie and Roger right after you open your eyes :)

Emdee
Perk is right, One Vision documentary is pretty unique, there is no other doc like this. There are some very short clips from News of the world and Night at the opera but nothing as "complex" as One vision.

I don't know if you know this little piece from Bohemian Rhapsody recording. For me they are the most precious 50 seconds I've ever heard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8hZEYs0Z8ow

Freddie's laugh is ... You can't resist you have to laugh too. THIS should be in the movie! Not this crap about depression and arrogance.

Have a great Saturday :)

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

morning, Mika I was thinking about starting a new thread so that we can share any gems. You mentioned you have lots of different starts to 'crazy little thing' . I'd love to see them. That way we don't clog up this thread.

Annie I have often wondered why from Peter's perspective Munich was a lot of fun , Barbara was fab and all in all it was a great time from his point of view. Then on the other hand the band and some others say something different. I guess Peter was caught up in that life at that time so didn't see it from the same angle as the others. You can't see the wood for the trees!

Mika I like the aggressive Freddie on stage, especially when he performs 'another one bites the dust' and 'we will rock you' . His voice got deep and growly lol.

The 'One Vision' documentary is an absolute corker, I love it. When Roger misses out a line I just love Brian and Freddie's reaction.

Emdee...... Barbara appears to have been in Freddies life right up to his last christmas. She can be seen in the Garden Lodge tape and she is seen in photo's from Freddie's last big birthday celebration. I got the sense that a lot of people at that time thought she was fun and bubbly but opinions soon changed after his death when she claimed she had slept with Freddie, Freddie attacked her and tried to strangle her . She made up some very odd stories which she gave to Lesley Ann who then printed it in her book. Its annoying as many people read it and believe it.

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee

I should say it differently.

There are two great documents about making of Bohemian rhapsody and Night at the opera

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qYBqIieEk&t=1248s

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAD73D73672CD8BE0

But they are both retrospective, without any video footage from the studio. But you can learn a lot about recording process.

Then there is News of the world documentary with lots of late 70's Freddie which is pretty good too :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNbqcMiGEI

I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for but it's as much as we can get.

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut

Great idea I feel really sorry for Thor as last couple of page aren't very much about him anymore.
Let's move to our own thread ??

Posted: 04 May 19, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika I will do it now :)

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I watched more of Cameron Deacon's videos and understood that Rayne/Jade is not actually his sister lol. Sorry for the confusion:)

Posted: 04 May 19, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So I listened to the Radio 4's 'The Mysterious Mr Mercury ' . A lot of the interviews it seems were taken from other documentaries and I have heard what Mac said about Freddie and his breakdown somewhere else although I can't remember where. I really feel for him and what he must have been going through at that time.

If I am honest I am more perplexed at what Mary said, and this isn't about me liking or not liking her, but should she have said that Freddie was tested 18 months prior to his formal diagnosis and that he told her it was negative and then admitted 18 months later he then had aids. i don't know what date this interview took place but the implications for Jim were enormous as it means he hid if from Jim and carried on a relationship with him putting him at risk.

She says he knew during the magic tour but he didn't tell jim until easter time in 1987.

it's a can of worms and if it is true then I feel it is something that she should not have disclosed. She claims that she will never betray Freddie but to me she has .

Oh boy I wish I had listened to it now lol...i normally try to avoid all things Mary so I don't get caught up in it all.

what was interesting and this goes out to all that dislike Jim, is that Peter said Jim stuck by Freddie even when diagnosed , that speaks volumes about the type of man he was . God bless you Jim

rant over lol

Posted: 04 May 19, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hadn't listened to it

Posted: 04 May 19, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut

Mack spoke about the breakdown in Great Pretender documentary. At least that´s where I got the information from.

I don´t want so spoil my weekend to think about what Mary said... I think we will never know the truth. Therefore you can decide what to believe and I decided to believe Jim. Period.

EDIT: ok one thing is on my mind. If you want to be angry at Freddie not confessing to Jim, you should be anyway because he had to have a huge suspicion. The latest day he had to realise how bad the situation iwas was the date of Munich gig, when he visited old places and found out how many friends and one night stands are ill or gone. We can talk about it for hours why he didn't tell anything and what was behind his decision. I wouldn't judge him because I can't imagine how can you feel facing this.

The only way how to find out the truth is to ask Dr. Atkinson. And he won't answer because of obvious reasons. So... We'll never know.

Posted: 04 May 19, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks Mika, I knew I could count on you to snap me out of it lol .
I'm listening to 'magic' that helps :)

Posted: 04 May 19, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh no I am not angry at Freddie. I am at MA for broadcasting this news. If it is true, I think she should never have spoken about it because of the implications to others in Freddie's life.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 04 May 19, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for sharing your insights about Munich....that’s what I really like about this thread.

I could wTch that making of One Vision over and over again and still laugh at all the same parts.

I am super curious about Thor’s exciting news!

Posted: 04 May 19, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie fingers crossed the news is about Thor and Lee's book xx

Posted: 04 May 19, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie fingers crossed the news is about Thor and Lee's book xx

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great videos posted here today - thanks to all!!

The fact that Thor says it is "exciting news" should give us all hope that the book is getting closer to publication. The suspense though.........

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have a great Saturday Thor and Lee !

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is to ALL the lovely QZers who continually keep me coming back here....Rainbow, Katy, Black Queen, CHEVY, Doughnut, Freddiedarling, FreddienotFreddy, oh shoot. ...the list is too many....but we all know who the kind ones are!!! And of course, Thor and Lee (SM, too)......but Mika.....you have contributed sooo much to this thread, in such a short amount of time!! You have devoted an insane amount of time and effort to ALL of us Freddie Lovers.....i just wanted to give u a special shout-out!!! And Thank you all for the warmth and loveliness that drew us all here in the first place!!!
Have a lovely weekend friends!!!
XO

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 04 May 19, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenko,You have a lovely weekend too.