Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 19, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I'm not Mexican, but I was born in Houston, TX (close to Mexico LOL) and if I was told to select one good only to consume for the rest of my life it would be burritos!

I found this link on another forum posted by The Invisible Woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9v9IA5Cv1A

It's an interview with Richard Young who was pretty much the Official Photographer of Queen. Some wonderful pictures I'd not seen before and cool stories, too.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"good" should be "food". Geesh!

Liona user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm listeninng to their music, reading the interviews, watching their gigs, reading on here and some other realted groups on Facebook, saving tons of their pictures on my PC and phone. I must confess, it sounds like obsession really. o_o )))).

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ehm let's admit most Gigabites on my computer go to Queen bootlegs :)

Thank God I still have more photos of my own kid than Freddie's.
I'm OK :D

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that sounds like a good choice of food to me BQK :)

Funnily enough I have just seen one of my friends post a photo on Facebook of a tequila in celebration. Spooky ! I have

I have seen the Richard Young video, it's very good. He has some fantastic photos :)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is interesting history of Cinco de Mayo - I did not know that! Queen played in Puebla - correct? Was that the infamous shoe throwing concert??

Posted: 05 May 19, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also interesting that it is a minor holiday in Mexico but huge here in the US. Ha ha any excuse to party in good old USA right? Your country got independence - hey can we make that a drinking holiday? Whoop Whoop

Posted: 05 May 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who needs an excuse to party lol

Didn't a certain someone want to build a brick wall at the border of Mexico ?

Liona user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika, you are much more than "OK", special "thank you" for translation that German show. Phoebe was dancing instead of girl, oh dear :). And Rudi's memories about last video with Freddie are priceless.

It's nice to have allies about the band's current name ( I shake the hands to Koala and Doughnut). I have much more allies on here, but this thread is so huge, that I just could not keep in mind all their names yet.

Posted: 05 May 19, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liona don't worry about learning all our screen names.
Before I joined I managed to read all of this thread and the other one that Thor started, it took me ages! I was very nervous to add my contribution but I am glad I did.
Thor has told us all some fab stories about Freddie and hopefully there are more to come in the book .

One of the best parts of Mika's translation was her comment ' the nerve of the man singing 'love of my life'. That did make me smile and I am glad I didn't see him singing it as I wouldn't have liked to see anyone else sing this. Off course I have seen Brian sing it but that is fine lol

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol yes, my Mexican friends refer to it as Drinko de Mayo and think it’s hilarious how big it is here in the US!

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep Queen played in Puebla in 1981. It sounds like it was a nightmare from start to finish!!

https://www.queenlive.ca/queen/81-10-17.htm

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NQAS I recall is Mexico where they had to ban batteries . Yes it is as I just checked your link.

It does say Freddie was on form musically so at least that's a positive.

It hated Australia for a while as he was subjected to a full body search on his first visit.

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he now it ....arrrrr
I am trying to rival FreddieDarling lol

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually there is another great video of Freddie connected to Mexico :)

In an interview about his solo album David Wigg asked what would he say to his fans in various parts of the world. David asked something like "would you like to say something for Mexico? And Freddie answered "NO!" "Why?" "Because I don't give a sh*t".
I hope I didn't offend anybody. It seems he didn't have very nice memories from this part of the world.

I try to dig it out and post it here :)

Here you are
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4hClju4ajY&t=8s

Around 12:00 :-) message for France is great too :D

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone - yes - Cinco de Mayo gives everyone a reason to raise their glass here in the US and always followed by May the "fourth" be with you for the Star Wars fans. Two days of celebration.

Every package coming from Amazon lately has something to do with Freddie - my husband doesn't even ask anyone :)

I had an unfortunate situation with thirfybooks.com - Someone suggested that source for books a while back - I found Peter Freestone's first book and wanted it in print as I only have the kindle version. I was so excited I found it for a reasonable price. When my package arrived Saturday it was a book of piano sonatas:(

I could have cried - they were very nice about refunding my money, but I really wanted the book. If anyone is interested in piano sonatas it's yours - they don't even want it back.

Thor and Lee if you are here - I am in need of a good book!!

Happy Sunday friends!

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika I can't get your link to work - but I know the interview and love it! He is so cheeky about it hahaha. That is the one where he asks about Outer Mongolia when the big noise happens and "The bigger the better - in everything Darling!" comment! One of his best interviews in my opinion.

I guess the Mexican gov't took all the batteries - then set up a booth to sell them back to the crowd! The crowd thought that was Queen doing that and they were pissed - hence the shoe throwing. Queen had no idea it was going on and thought the crowd was just assholes.

emdee - May the Forth be with you!

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emdee - I got Peter's 1st book in print off of eBay. It was around $35 but took 3 months to arrive!!!!! The rest I am just reading for the cheap on Kindle so far

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm currently reading David Mimms book on Kindle - but there doesn't seem to be a lot of him talking?! I thought I had the wrong book at first. There are so many stories in it by others I'm a bit confused...

So happy to see QZ behaving again. Sorry I'm posting a lot today. It just feels really good to be sharing with fellow Queenies again! And yes for me - obsession covers it haha but in a good way

Posted: 05 May 19, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuiteAShilling

Feel free to join our bookworm thread, we are discussing David Minn's book a lot. To be found here in General discussion

http://queenzone.com/forums/1548397/qz-book-club-books-discussion-about-freddie-queen.aspx