Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 977 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 May 19, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, emcee I agree with you it"s exciting can"tHardly wait.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would read Rudi Dolezal's book in English. He's legit.' He's not some 3rd party journalist. As I learned from others on the thread, Rudi had worked w/ Freddie over many years. Because of what else I learned from others on the thread, I absolutely refuse to read LAJ's book.

Remember the ancient (Indian?) parable about 6 blind men and the elephant? Each of the blind men had their own point of view about an elephant, based on what part they touched; e.g., tail, tusk, trunk, side, etc. I feel like Freddie's the elephant and we fans learn various facets about him - some overlap - from reading the words of people who were close to him, either professionally or personally; e.g., band member (Brian May's "Queen in 3-D"); boyfriends (David Minns' book and Jim Hutton's book); American friends "NY Daughters" (Thor and Lee's threads and upcoming book); personal assistant (Phoebe); roadie (Ratty's book) and now music producer (Rudi Dolezal's upcoming book). OMG, that's a lot of books already! LOL

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’ll definitely read Rudi’s book. Looking forward to new Freddie insights!

On a side note; my son gave me the Magic Tour Freddie Funko POP for mother’s day. Adorbs! Was the perfect gift.

Deedree user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deedree
Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just checking in to say hi I agree with Chevyman we are all enjoying our new found freedom in the Facebook group as it is so much easier to use

The most exciting thing is that there is no chance of any trolls on there!!! Hi to Thor and Lee if you are checking in here from time to time We are so excited for the book! Hope its not far away now and hope that you are well When things calm down for you we would love to see you in the FB group xx

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do expect Rudi’s book to be translated. It doesn’t make sense to not make it available to the English-speaking markets. I can’t imagine it costs that much to pay a translator.

JoT—I like this elephant way of looking at Freddie books.

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I give up on the Facebook group it doesn’t want to go to it *cries*

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I defo want to get the Rudi book as he seems a nice, honest man who interviewed Freddie several times, worked with him and the band on their videos and visited Freddie's home. I really hope it is printed in English, it's big market missed out if it isn't. I will be interesting to read his perspective of working with Freddie . We have all heard how much of a perfectionist Freddie was.

I feel the blurb wasn't the work of Rudi, more a way of trying to sell the book by the publishers.

As Chevy said we have created a FB group because it was getting too much on here with the trolls and long term members of this group who seem to resent newer members.

Hope you are well Katy and Rainbow and everyone else :)

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

selkie your son is amazing you lucky lady :)

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m in for both Rudi, and Thor-Lee book.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 15 May 19, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

H there , Peeps!

Hope you all had a good HumpDay!

Mine was made better by the arrival of my Betty Boop T Shirt which I won via the competition run by the lovely Mercury Tribute Band Facebook page!

I'll try and attach a photo! I'm so pleased! Inp never win competitions as a rule!

Glad to see a but more activity on the thread! It had stagnated a bit the last few days, and that saddened me. Love this thread most of the time.

I definitely hope to get Rudi's book! Surely it'll get an English language release, too! Hope so. I am fond of the Torpedo Twins! Wonder if he still keeps in touch with Hannes Rossacher?

Hope Thursday goes well for you all!

Take care. Peeps!!

Here's goes my attempted upload...........

Attachment: 20195151704153589.png 784 KB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 May 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And the back! :-)

Attachment: 20195151094096275.png 786 KB
This has been downloaded 14 time(s).

Posted: 15 May 19, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk what seems to be your problem

Posted: 15 May 19, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling,Congratulations!

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling- So are you going to wear that T-shirt or frame it??
How is Little Freddie- did he meet Jim?

Thor and Lee- still waiting for that news!!

Happy hump day!

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm definitely looking forward to Thor and Lee's book! So much has been written about Freddie on tour and Freddie that was the public persona. I think that some of us would like to know who he was away from the stage. How he spent his "down time" (if there was such a thing for somebody as driven as Freddie).

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to clarify something.

My favorite videos are the "making of" videos. I prefer them to the polished end product because they often contain humorous moments or glimpses of the band as themselves, not so much as performers. Rudi was a big part of many of those "making of" videos I so love. I'm hoping his book is a collection of behind-the-scenes stories. I would like to see him share things that we may not know about the production of the videos. He also did several interviews with Freddie and I'd like to hear from him what it was like to be sitting across from Freddie and asking him questions. He has shared stories about making the video for One By One and I'd like to hear more. He knew Freddie for a long time and may be able to bring new aspects of his personality to light.

However, I am most anxious for Thor and Lee's book. I knew who they were before I ever found QZ, and to be honest, was kind of star struck by both of them when I first started to post. Here I was actually talking to someone who knew Freddie. I was interacting with the New York Daughters. It was a delightful surprise to find that both of these special men are very genuine people. The bonus is, they know a part of his life about which very little is known to the fans. They know New York. They also traveled with him and can share stories of those times. They knew him as a friend, as a regular guy. Sure, they saw concerts, but they were seeing their friend perform. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like. They saw him after the concerts and know what he was like winding down after a performance. And they know who he was as a private person. I think I know a great deal about Freddie professionally, but far less about the man behind the scenes. That's what I want to know. I am so anxious for Thor and Lee's book. Of all the books I own, I think theirs will be a definate favorite.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 16 May 19, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Beautifully put , my dear Katydyd5,

I think your eloquent post was a text version of what what most of us are in such eager anticipation about waiting for the release of Thor's and Lee's book.

I know that what I read could have come straight from _my_ mind.

Yes, that's just what I want, the stories that are hidden beneath the veneer of their professional life, i.e. the intricacies, subtle nuances and little quirks about the fascinating human being we all love and admire. Far more interesting than a potted history compiled from scavenging old press articles and a hand full of interviews from "a close friend" or even "a friend of a friend".

I have no doubt that Thor and Lee's book (,and to some extent Rudi's book, too) will deliver these respectfully intimate anecdotes about Freddie.

New, reliable information about Freddie to me are like treasure. I delight in their discovery and safely store the information in my safe-hold (in this case my brain!)

So, well said Katydyd5 . It was like you read my mind! :-)

Have a great Thursday, Peeps!

Bye for now

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 16 May 19, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid....very well said! And I love those making of videos as well for the glimpses of what he was really like. I can’t wait to read some of the stories in Thor and Lee's book as I’ve loved the little stories they’ve shared here.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 16 May 19, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling I agree about getting excited about new and reliable information. Even a newbie like myself notices how often some things are recycled or rearranged to be presented as new or “rare.”

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 527 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Jo T….Your analogy of Freddie and the elephant in the Indian parable was spot on. Thanks!

@ Selkie….What a great Mother’s Day gift. I love the Queen Funko Pop dolls that I have of the band from the 70’s + Wembley ‘86 Freddie. I just ordered the only one I didn’t have: Freddie in the white pants with a red tie belt. He should arrive on Saturday. For now, the dolls have found a home on my kitchen counter.

@doughnut…I’m doing well. Life is good.

@ Katydyd…I, too, enjoy the behind the scenes look at the band. There is always something both exciting and heartwarming about seeing and hearing the “unvarnished” Freddie.

Like everyone else, I am also looking forward to Rudi’s book. His documentary “Freddie Mercury: The Untold Story” was in English, so there’s reason to hope his new book will be published in English as well.

All of the various people who TRULY knew Freddie are contributing a piece to this beautiful Freddie mosaic with the books they have written. I am grateful for their unique perspective on this amazing man. Thor and Lee, with great anticipation, I eagerly await your piece in this mosaic. Whatever size or shape it may take, there will be no piece like yours!