Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 19, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Jo T….Your analogy of Freddie and the elephant in the Indian parable was spot on. Thanks!

@ Selkie….What a great Mother’s Day gift. I love the Queen Funko Pop dolls that I have of the band from the 70’s + Wembley ‘86 Freddie. I just ordered the only one I didn’t have: Freddie in the white pants with a red tie belt. He should arrive on Saturday. For now, the dolls have found a home on my kitchen counter.

@doughnut…I’m doing well. Life is good.

@ Katydyd…I, too, enjoy the behind the scenes look at the band. There is always something both exciting and heartwarming about seeing and hearing the “unvarnished” Freddie.

Like everyone else, I am also looking forward to Rudi’s book. His documentary “Freddie Mercury: The Untold Story” was in English, so there’s reason to hope his new book will be published in English as well.

All of the various people who TRULY knew Freddie are contributing a piece to this beautiful Freddie mosaic with the books they have written. I am grateful for their unique perspective on this amazing man. Thor and Lee, with great anticipation, I eagerly await your piece in this mosaic. Whatever size or shape it may take, there will be no piece like yours!

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

I want to clarify something.

My favorite videos are the "making of" videos. I prefer them to the polished end product because they often contain humorous moments or glimpses of the band as themselves, not so much as performers. Rudi was a big part of many of those "making of" videos I so love. I'm hoping his book is a collection of behind-the-scenes stories. I would like to see him share things that we may not know about the production of the videos. He also did several interviews with Freddie and I'd like to hear from him what it was like to be sitting across from Freddie and asking him questions. He has shared stories about making the video for One By One and I'd like to hear more. He knew Freddie for a long time and may be able to bring new aspects of his personality to light.

However, I am most anxious for Thor and Lee's book. I knew who they were before I ever found QZ, and to be honest, was kind of star struck by both of them when I first started to post. Here I was actually talking to someone who knew Freddie. I was interacting with the New York Daughters. It was a delightful surprise to find that both of these special men are very genuine people. The bonus is, they know a part of his life about which very little is known to the fans. They know New York. They also traveled with him and can share stories of those times. They knew him as a friend, as a regular guy. Sure, they saw concerts, but they were seeing their friend perform. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like. They saw him after the concerts and know what he was like winding down after a performance. And they know who he was as a private person. I think I know a great deal about Freddie professionally, but far less about the man behind the scenes. That's what I want to know. I am so anxious for Thor and Lee's book. Of all the books I own, I think theirs will be a definate favorite.

Katy,

Ditto, I knew as well who Thor and Lee were from the photos and videos before Thor started, I felt “star struck “ at the beginning as well. It felt like a “ 6 degrees of separation “ moment. Because Freddie cared and loved them so much....it’s a good feeling.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy very well said and I agree in full

I am very much looking forward to Thor and Lee's book.

Friday tomorrow, thank goodness :)

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 16 May 19, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish everybody a happy and peaceful Memorial Day take time while celebrating to remember family a friend or loved one.As each year goes by and each holiday passes that's another year without them. Let's give them that day.Have a lovely holiday and weekend.

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 17 May 19, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks doughnut! He really is a great guy.

Katydid, you stated everything just perfectly. I feel the same about the books. I do really hope Thor and Lee are successful, and I hope to see them back here soon as well.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 17 May 19, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's nice that there are still reliable people who knew and worked with Freddie willing to share their stories.

Each of these books will offer differing points of view that will give us more insight into the man we can't seem to learn enough about.

As Annie stated many "new" material is nothing more than recycled information written in a different way.

Happy Friday to everyone working for the weekend!

Posted: 17 May 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

helllloooo everyone....it's Friday and I have finished work for the next three days......yipeee.

Have a fab weekend all and have fun.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 17 May 19, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank Freddie It's Friday (that is what the "F" stands for, isn't it??!!)

Lovely jubbly! I hope you all manage to fit some Freddie fun into any time off you have.

I will be going into the city and enjoying a nice Americano coffee and warm Mandazi at Freddie's!??

Has anyone seen the Freddie Hit Space "Glitter" Funko affordable anywhere in the UK? Me want one!!

Take Care, Peeps!

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 17 May 19, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling I have to tell you.....your jubilance is catchy! Have a great night. :)

Posted: 17 May 19, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling I have to tell you.....your jubilance is catchy! Have a great night. :)

Posted: 17 May 19, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh poop....knew that was going to post twice....couldn’t stop it. Sorry. :(

FreddieDarling

Posted: 17 May 19, 23:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No probs Annie! We've all been there done that!

At least your posts aren't an exercise in typographical errors! :-(

Have a lovely weekend, Peeps!

Hutchence user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hutchence
Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, guys !

How can I join the Facebook group ?

Thx

I took a voyage

over deep blue sea...

Michael Hutchence

Posted: 18 May 19, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I badly want one of the funko freddie's too. I think you can get them at a really good price in the US. Maybe we need to take a little trip.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut - I have a place you can stay!!

Still waiting for the good news from Thor and Lee!!

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey everyone, hope you're having a lovely weekend :)

I saw someone describe all the various Freddie books as different ways of looking at an elephant, and I love that comparison. Every person reveals a different part of themselves in different contexts and with different people - the more accounts we get, the more complete image of the man we will have.

On a slightly random note: I saw a gif of Freddie right before he walks on the Wembley stage, and it really looks like he's chewing gum (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awd5s5j1sp4). I remember seeing a similar clip of him from the Milton Keynes concert (https://youtu.be/vriImWtu_No?t=222). Am I just imagining it? I now it's a totally silly question, but it's fun to think about for some odd reason.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling and doughnut,

My Freddie Hot Space Funko Pop doll arrived today. He has now joined the rest of the gang on my kitchen counter.

I looked at prices on the UK Amazon and eBay sites. Those dolls do seem to be more expensive over your way! I bought the set of 5 for $39.99 (that did not include tax + S/H) and my recent Hot Space Freddie Funko for $25.94 which did include tax + S/H). I'm not sure why Hot Space Freddie is more expensive than the others...putting some glitter on his pants and shoes does not make the doll any nicer, but I'm happy to have added him to my collection. I bought Hot Space Freddie on eBay...much less expensive than Amazon. I got the set of 5 through Big Apple Collectibles.

My weekend began with some metal detecting in a corn field with my husband. Found a couple of musket balls (and a lot of nails)...mostly it is just a fun and relaxing hobby. I'm hoping to find a old harness bell someday. By the way, one of our favorite TV series is the award winning BBC comedy "The Detectorists". It's about two metal detecting friends in England. (It is not a reality TV show). It is quirky and delightful!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala, I've seen both clips you mentioned and I thought he was chewing gum too. It's the only time I've noticed it, and I suppose we will never know.

Radioblabla user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 18 May 19, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

koala wrote:

Hey everyone, hope you're having a lovely weekend :)

I saw someone describe all the various Freddie books as different ways of looking at an elephant, and I love that comparison. Every person reveals a different part of themselves in different contexts and with different people - the more accounts we get, the more complete image of the man we will have.

On a slightly random note: I saw a gif of Freddie right before he walks on the Wembley stage, and it really looks like he's chewing gum (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awd5s5j1sp4). I remember seeing a similar clip of him from the Milton Keynes concert (https://youtu.be/vriImWtu_No?t=222). Am I just imagining it? I now it's a totally silly question, but it's fun to think about for some odd reason.

I think it's a throat pastille. Phoebe said he used that a lot. And makes sense before a show.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 18 May 19, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

Thought the peeps of QZ might like to see Little Freddie's encounter with Birmingham Bull Ring"s bug bronze bull statue "Bully"! He's a big, solid 6.5 ton bovine and completely dwarfs my boy!

Still, he wasn't "cowed" by it at all! (Ouch! I know that was BAD!!)

Have a fun weekend, folks!

Attachment: 2019518147017049.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 30 time(s).