Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 May 19, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

morning all
Great live and so I echo everyone else and say a big thanks.

Lee/thor you both look great. it was nice seeing you :) Hope you are both well and enjoying your time together. I cannot wait for your book

was it koala who mentioned this, if it wasn't sorry. I have often wondered what Freddie was chewing before going on stage, I guess a throat sweet makes sense.

Have a good day all (I like how some of your say y'all )

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 19 May 19, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry I missed it! :-(

I will look forward to a YouTube video of it. :-)

Will there be an upload of your Mary Chat ?

Love your Instagram chat, BTW! Thanks for doing a Thor and Lee one.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 19 May 19, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to hear the live went so well....big thank you to Villiers for doing them. I’ll be catching it on YouTube....can’t wait!!

Posted: 19 May 19, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'd be interested to to listen to the mary chat too if you have it Villiers ?

Freddiedarling you can listen to the live with lee/thor as it is on her story still

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 19 May 19, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, call me thick or a ludite, but I'm not familiar with Instagram and I don't know what that means. :-/

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 19 May 19, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, Lee and Villiers,
Thank you for doing that special live for All of us!! It was so wonderful to see your faces and hear your voices.....now when I look at your book...i'll have your voices to accompany the words!........Awaiting the Big News!!!
XO

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 19 May 19, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont know how to work Instagram either.I'm not internet savy.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved the LIVE - a HUGE thank you to Villiers2 and of course to THOR and LEE - you guys were AWESOME! LEE my new favorite thing is "Taking a DISCO NAP" - LOLOLOL

I hope Villiers can capture a screen shot of the two of you together at the beginning. You guys are too cute

I can't thank you enough for doing this for us, the fans. Your stories were so wonderful. Thank you for sharing your memories of your friend with us!!!!!

Posted: 20 May 19, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The live showed Thor and Lee for a minute they look really good.They both look in good health and are both very handsome.

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 05:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok guys so I have taken on a truly monumental task trying to read this whole thread. Many many hours later and I’m still over 100 pages from finishing it. It’s a labor of love. I am determined and NOBODY’s GONNA STOP ME HONEY!

I saw a lot of things on here that I wanted to reply to but since they were 100+ pages ago that would be nuts.

I do want to bring up one of my favorite subjects. The white shorts in Montreal and what the story about them is.

I recently bought the DVD and on it as an extra feature is commentary from Roger and Brian.

They talk about everything basically the chest wig story is in there.

The shorts are my favorite story because it’s so very Freddie at least from what I have seen.

Ok, so apparently the Montreal shows were one of the rare ones they did that wasn’t on an actual “tour” They were staged because a filmmaker I guess is what you’d call him wanted to tape both nights and take it around the country in a “IMAX of the 80’s” kind of thing.
There are two versions one is We Will Rock You Montreal.
Apparently the director knew absolutely nothing about Queen or especially Freddie. He and the director were not friends to say the least.

Brian says that actually that was the most annoyed that he’d ever seen Freddie before a show. So as we all know no Queen show is the same whether it’s in the same place two nights or not. Freddie is instinctive and he can’t reproduce step for step a show and he wouldn’t even if he could. That would be boring Darling.
The director decided that he was going to shoot both nights and splice it together. Well the cameras were huge and just got in the way and Freddie was so pissed. One thing you don’t do to Freddie Mercury is tell him how to do his job. Which the director did by telling him to make the shows as similar as possible. The huge cameras hindered him moving as much as he might’ve liked. Not only that but the cameras only followed Freddie there are several times when you will here Brian’s licks on the guitar but don’t see him. They had of course rehearsed but as Brian says they weren’t the well-oiled machine they usually were on tour. They use a TON of eye contact to pick up cues they would normally have down. As I said the director wanted to splice the two nights together for his “film.” Well on the second night as Freddie was annoyed as hell he decided he was going to fuck up the director’s plans. Of course Freddie the consummate professional was still going to give his audience the best show he could SO nothing too drastic.

As much as I hate that Freddie was so angry during these concerts I am thankful. Freddie’s way of screwing with the director was on one night he wore jeans the next night the famous TINY WHITE SHORTS and made it almost impossible to achieve any continuity. The final product was a disaster it was blurry they put one nights’s vocals over the other night’s footage and just cut the film up horribly. Brian says this was one of the only products of Queen they didn’t own and had no say in the finished product and that’s super rare. I don’t remember where I read exactly what Brian said about restoring it. Years later they got the film and the film bits they had cut and just left I guess in a trash bin or something but basically they were gone and there was absolutely no getting those images back. So they finally took back the film and literally had NASA scientists reconstruct it in hi def. It took months and Brian says the intricacies of the algorithms and everything it took to restore it to a video that as closely mirrored the actual concerts as possible was nuts. This coming from a man with a PHD in Astrophysics! Well the final product is amazing. And renamed Rock Montreal.

But Brian and Roger say there are a couple of times where you can sense Freddie’s irritation. One is the songs are all like super super fast versions. Freddie is the one who set the pace and the other three picked up from him as Brian says his sense of rhythm and skills as a pianist are “faultless”. Brian has said this several times that Freddie was a human metronome and could play the backing tracks on the piano in perfect rhythm.

Some of the songs are out of order. The security was tight that night, and not long before they had done their stadium tour in South America where we all know the fans are insanely fervent fans. They sang EVERY song in English along with Freddie and he didn’t sing but about two bars of Love of My Life and they take it and Freddie doesn’t even have to sing about 90 percent of it. Canadians are NOT as animated as those South American fans and they did sing cause I mean it’s Freddie he says sing you sing. They however were not as loud or as crazy as the South American fans. He ended up having to sing the entire song of. LOML. Brian says he’s surprised he remembered the words considering he had never had to sing it for so long on the tour. Also, security was trying very hard to keep everyone as Roger says “in their plastic seats” so when Freddie says it’s ok to move your asses around it’s ok by us. Roger says that was code for the security was too tight. They do let up after that a little.

So Freddie’s pissed at the film crew and Jim Beach as well. The cameras are in his way and as Roger says. We spend the whole time trying to get the people out of the seats and the security was working super hard to keep them there. So not only are the songs super fast but there are a couple of times when Roger says his lyrics are a tiny bit questionable like controversial cussing basically under his breathe. There is audience participation cause again. It’s Freddie. But nothing like Freddie felt he could’ve gotten with more freedom. Especially in AOBTD. Where miraculously with no break Freddie appears in the white shorts. But the guys restoring it had to mess with song order which is not really a big deal but Jailhouse Rock is way too early because Freddie has his “trousers on” as Brian puts it. Jailhouse Rock was ALWAYS an encore. There are also two entire songs missing from the film that were lost. Flash and The Hero are on the CD but not the dvd. So if you wonder why Freddie was in pants most of the concert and the famous shorts at the end that is why! To fuck with the director that pissed him off he wore the shorts the second night to make it hard for them to edit the two nights together. Which was honestly a stroke of vengeful genius on Freddie’s part.

Roger is funny he starts giggling during the commentary. He says the shorts always make him giggle. He said as someone else put it. Only Freddie Mercury could sing rock in those shorts and be taken seriously. So thank god for the director pissing off Freddie though I hate that for him. But THE WHITE SHORTS ARE AS ICONIC AS HIS WEMBLEY JACKET NOW and thanks to insane math and I guess other smart people stuff we get to see them in HD. Not to mention it’s one of the concerts where Freddie’s voice is in perfect shape. It is considered two of their best ever and Brian says it’s truly tragic that it can’t be reproduced exactly.

Sorry it was long but it took a little explaining to tell. I hope you enjoyed the story of The Tiny White Shorts. Lol

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just wanted to add to the sea of thank yous to Villers, Thor and Lee for the live. It was terrific and gracious of you all to take the time to that for us fans!

Posted: 20 May 19, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks Perk I do know all about the white shorts and the issue the band had over those two nights.

Posted: 20 May 19, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnuts sorry dude I LOVVVVVVVEEEE that story. Freddie is so sassy. Sorry

Posted: 20 May 19, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk, Doughnut may not be a dude I dont know.when you address someone here please use their screen name.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie’s attire on stage was always enjoyable to view:)

He had a knack of working the crowd and his fashion styles always added to the performance.

Posted: 20 May 19, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee, yes he did.

Posted: 20 May 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s slang CHEVY. it’s not about being a guy. DUDE THATS AWESOME idk why that’s a thing here where I live. It just is.

Posted: 20 May 19, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk,Just calm down I know it's slang we just address eachother by our screen names but by all means I dont mind.Some of our members however could be up in their ages a little and not understand it is slang.Do you see what I mean we dont know that info behind who we are talking too.I just wouldn't feel comfortable addressing someone 60 or 70 as dude.I guess I'm old fashioned .I get what your saying no hard feelings .

Selkie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Perk for writing up the itty bitty white shorts story! I'm going to have to check that dvd out for sure. (I looooove Freddie in those shorts!)

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 20 May 19, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello :)

For anybody who can't wait for Rudi's book. There is a documentary called Dolezal Backstage in German with some very nice stories. I've made a brief translation again so you can watch it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQB_ra4sF_M&t=3s

Enjoy and apologies for many mistakes in the text I hope you can go on well with it anyway.