Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the arguing does nothing but take away from the thread and it's a bit selfish to do it here when Thor and Lee are being so kind taking part in this for us. If anyone wants to continue it, can I suggest private messages instead of posting here?



I think everyone here is better than that.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lotv I think we posted at the same time. I just saw your last comment. I'm sure everyone is on the same page now. Thanks

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin Zimmerman wrote:

LOTV are YOU not intelligent enough to see that you're spewing crap left and right with this? You claim you dont care what he was but you're being told he was gay and you're STILL sitting here trying to push that bullshit theory about him being fucked up on drugs and fucking chicks and just not remembering it and now you're claiming he may have even hid it from his gay and bisexual friends. Come the fuck on. You're not interested in others sexuality. You're interested in trying to make the man something he wasn't.


He was homosexual. He had sex with chicks before coming out like most gays do. Build a bridge and get over it. Take your drug theory with you.


Dustin Zimmerman, the spokesperson for the Queen fan community.

How could I dare speak out against one so worthy?

You know no more about Freddie Mercury than I do. Yet you are happy to represent yourself as THE authority along with the arbiter of decency.

Don't patronise me with your linear thinking bullshit, please.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And we're right back where we started. That lasted all of about 30 seconds.

Stop The Madness user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So there you have it folks! LOTV is a full-fledged retard. Is your helmet on too tight? Trollololololll

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One wrote:

I think the arguing does nothing but take away from the thread and it's a bit selfish to do it here when Thor and Lee are being so kind taking part in this for us. If anyone wants to continue it, can I suggest private messages instead of posting here?



I think everyone here is better than that.


Duly noted. I will struggle to let inaccurate assumptions and accusations against my character go unchallenged though.

To return to the music, whilst we wait for our hosts to return, what is your favourite live performance you've heard by Queen?

For me the versions of PTG and SM from Queen on Fire are absolutely top notch, along with the DOTL from Live Killers.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop The Madness wrote:

So there you have it folks! LOTV is a full-fledged retard. Is your helmet on too tight? Trollololololll


"Retard".
Is that acceptable?

True colours shown there.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you still here bitching? You're bitching about me thinking I know more about him than others when YOURE the one sitting here claiming to know more than his friends who said he was simply gay?



You can't really be that dense. It's not possible. You have to be trolling.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One wrote:

And we're right back where we started. That lasted all of about 30 seconds.


About 45 to be fair.
Crossed threads.



Stop The Madness user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL "true colours shown here"




No shit! Ironic statement coming from you!

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding The Prophet DZ, in respect for TSO I bow and step off the mat on this matter.



The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For gods sake someone be above all this and just stop commenting back. Everyone here is dangerously close to ruining this thread beyond salvaging.

I'm logging out for a break. I'll try to put some positivity in here and start my day off by saying I hope you all relax, breathe and have a good day. Lifes too short guys.

Sponge Caves user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sponge Caves
Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

OK Katydyd,
I hope people can understand this so I'll try not to go too far. When I was 6 years old I wound up in the playground behind a big tree
and I put my hand down a very cute kids pants. He was wearing his cub-scout uniform and I thought he was dreamy. From age 9 to
14, the little old lady who lived nextdoor started to rent out her upstairs rooms to college students. I would turn out all my lights, pull
up a chair and spent hours trying to catch this guy either coming out of the shower, having sex with a girl, or masturbating. Even if I
stayed awake until 4AM with school the next day, it was WORTH it. I got such a secret thrill out of this. I guess my point is that I always
knew I liked men but I had no idea what that made me. Finally I saw a David Susskind (popular in the late 60's) interview with a
"homosexual." I was relieved that I had a new understanding of who or what But my preferences at such an early age had no name for it.
I went the next day to the Hofstra University Library and spent the whole day looking up books on homosexual behavior well that was sort
of a relief for me but I also became very disturbed.that I was something that people hated and despised. I was miserable until age 17
when I left home on Graduation Day and met and fell in love with a very special person. That was great and I was finally content with
myself and happy.


This reminds me of something I read about Freddie.

Now, a lot of people dismiss it as a bad source because it's from a rather tabloidy sensationalist author David Bret (I agree, he's kinda SHIT). And also because the informant remained anonymous, (so 'hmmm') but: this guy claimed he was also gay at St Peter's and he and Freddie used to spy on the older boys getting in the bath! It was the only way they could 'get their kicks'.

There's a reason people are particularly keen to ignore this story and that's because there's a darker side to it. I'm going to write what it said anyway because it seems relevant. Okay basically one of the older boys was said to have bullied him into sex and Freddie was absolutely terrified of the consequences of being seen as gay. He didn't report this boy because the shame terrified him - but it wasn't the shame of being taken advantage of - it was the fact he had enjoyed it and he didn't want to admit his feelings.

In spite of the dubious source, I do believe it, because it just seems likely. Freddie also alluded to things happening in school in a 1974 interview. He also fell in love with another boy at school and there's a theory he was expelled for it. In any case, his parents knew he was gay.

So when he came to Britain, he dated girls for a while, because basically he was badly shamed for being a gay kid. That's why he didn't come out til he was thirty.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor & Lee, it's well documented Freddie's love of Japan and most things Japanese, do you recall whether this extended to any interest in martial arts?
We are lead to believe he was a competent boxer in his youth.



Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TSO you're a gem. Consider it squashed. You have yourself a good day too.

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 161 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sponge Caves wrote:

thundergod wrote:

OK Katydyd,
I hope people can understand this so I'll try not to go too far. When I was 6 years old I wound up in the playground behind a big tree
and I put my hand down a very cute kids pants. He was wearing his cub-scout uniform and I thought he was dreamy. From age 9 to
14, the little old lady who lived nextdoor started to rent out her upstairs rooms to college students. I would turn out all my lights, pull
up a chair and spent hours trying to catch this guy either coming out of the shower, having sex with a girl, or masturbating. Even if I
stayed awake until 4AM with school the next day, it was WORTH it. I got such a secret thrill out of this. I guess my point is that I always
knew I liked men but I had no idea what that made me. Finally I saw a David Susskind (popular in the late 60's) interview with a
"homosexual." I was relieved that I had a new understanding of who or what But my preferences at such an early age had no name for it.
I went the next day to the Hofstra University Library and spent the whole day looking up books on homosexual behavior well that was sort
of a relief for me but I also became very disturbed.that I was something that people hated and despised. I was miserable until age 17
when I left home on Graduation Day and met and fell in love with a very special person. That was great and I was finally content with
myself and happy.


This reminds me of something I read about Freddie.

Now, a lot of people dismiss it as a bad source because it's from a rather tabloidy sensationalist author David Bret (I agree, he's kinda SHIT). And also because the informant remained anonymous, (so 'hmmm') but: this guy claimed he was also gay at St Peter's and he and Freddie used to spy on the older boys getting in the bath! It was the only way they could 'get their kicks'.

There's a reason people are particularly keen to ignore this story and that's because there's a darker side to it. I'm going to write what it said anyway because it seems relevant. Okay basically one of the older boys was said to have bullied him into sex and Freddie was absolutely terrified of the consequences of being seen as gay. He didn't report this boy because the shame terrified him - but it wasn't the shame of being taken advantage of - it was the fact he had enjoyed it and he didn't want to admit his feelings.

In spite of the dubious source, I do believe it, because it just seems likely. Freddie also alluded to things happening in school in a 1974 interview. He also fell in love with another boy at school and there's a theory he was expelled for it. In any case, his parents knew he was gay.

So when he came to Britain, he dated girls for a while, because basically he was badly shamed for being a gay kid. That's why he didn't come out til he was thirty.


It fits with his type too. The boy "Robert" was said to be "overweight, unattractive and reprehensible" ... lol reminds me of a few of his other boyfriends!

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8831 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reading through this thread and also the one dedicated to Thor...i must say i enjoy the stories you (Lee and Thor) tell about yourselves more than the ones about Freddie (although Freddie is the main reason why we're here).

The more this thread progresses it's getting more uncomfortable and creepy. These so-called "fans" that come out of nowhere that are sudden experts in every little private detail of Freddie's life.

I like the stuff about being gay back in the day. What you guys went through. What it meant back then and what (gay/bi/trans) people had to deal with bears more of a social and historical significance than when and how he contracted the virus or he did or didn't pound the odd vadge here and there.


We love you Mandy!
Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 253 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To better explain my post from yesterday.
When I said that it doesn't really matter,I said that doesn't really matter TO ME.In music or in any other sense.
If anyone thinks that Freddie was bisexual,I have nothing against that opinion.

I think he was gay, but I don't think that's the only or the most important thing which identified him as a person!

I think he knew exactly who was but he had no need to shout "I am gay!I am gay!"
Of course, he also thought about his career,public image, other members of the band, band management...
He wanted to protect his career,family and the people around him.
Today is a different time,but even today people hide that they are gay.

But I think no need to argue about such things and no need to insult each others.It doesn't make sense.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Trying to get back on track here......................I've heard and read books and interviews where people, particularly Peter F., say that Freddie was easily bored and never still. Thor and Lee, did you find that to be true? Did he ever just sit and chill?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Oh no...I'm right there with you Katydyd...but I didn't try to edit, or erase...LOL


I apologize again. I left you out there hanging having posted a very personal and revealing response with no apparent reason for having brought it up. It was unintentional and I felt terrible. Hopefully I'll manage to figure out how to use this site at some point. I do need to thank Noorie for showing me how to find the little invisible buttons, but I need to get some boundaries before I post.