Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 176 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Further to what Katydyd5 says, did you ever find you could have long and in-depth one-to-one conversations with him (real life, not including on the phone)?? Or did he keep getting up and changing the subject? I remember some college friends saying he'd randomly just sing when they were trying to talk to them and it was annoying lol

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Invisible Woman wrote:

To better explain my post from yesterday.
When I said that it doesn't really matter,I said that doesn't really matter TO ME.In music or in any other sense.
If anyone thinks that Freddie was bisexual,I have nothing against that opinion.

I think he was gay, but I don't think that's the only or the most important thing which identified him as a person!

I think he knew exactly who was but he had no need to shout "I am gay!I am gay!"
Of course, he also thought about his career,public image, other members of the band, band management...
He wanted to protect his career,family and the people around him.
Today is a different time,but even today people hide that they are gay.

But I think no need to argue about such things and no need to insult each others.It doesn't make sense.

Lets be honest Invisible Lady, he was mainly protecting his career and the band didn't want a major statement for commercial reasons.

But as I wrote earlier I don't see it as he didn't come out, he just never made a statement in the press and he hardly tried to hide it. Not many straight rock n rollers would have heard of Anvil or Mineshaft let alone worn the t-shirt.

Darren_1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Barbara valentin, I thought I read somewhere that Freddie bought her a flat in Munich and a year or so before he passed away he bought houses for those closest to him, namely Jim , joe and Peter and Trevor Clarke , there were other names mentioned but I’ve forgotten them or was this just one of the many stories made up by the press like the aids promo video he supposedly filmed

captainjory

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He got her one in 1985; they were going to be flatmates, but he never moved in cos he found out she was leaking lies about the nature of their friendship to the press.

But yeah I also heard he bought homes for a few people. Definitely the guys in the household, but I heard there were more. Nice dude.

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 183 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darren_1977 wrote:

Regarding Barbara valentin, I thought I read somewhere that Freddie bought her a flat in Munich and a year or so before he passed away he bought houses for those closest to him, namely Jim , joe and Peter and Trevor Clarke , there were other names mentioned but I’ve forgotten them or was this just one of the many stories made up by the press like the aids promo video he supposedly filmed

Aw...he bought a house for Trevor Clarke, he seemed like a really nice guy in the documentaries and Freddie was HIS mother too (as he'd lost his own, Freddie apparently offered to take on the role)

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 183 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV thanks for that account you provided, I would have found it infuriating to have light shining in my eyes all the time, but there we are, I suppose none of us were there to see how the situation erupted.

Lee, here's a question. I asked Thor previously about whether Freddie ever talked 'deep' or shared his philosophy on life. I'm wondering if he ever did with you.

Obsidian Willow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't really have a question for this thread, just popping in to say "Hi." I'm new-ish to the Queen fandom and I'm enjoying all the lovely stories you guys have about Freddie :)

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Obsidian Willow!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 190 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Obsidian Willow...after a while, you will not be able to resist asking a question or two! :)

SinkingIsland

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove... I study everyone's teeth. I'll bet you do, too. :) I will rewind and / or pause programs for that reason. Only a fellow "toothie", like you, would understand. I do like character, as you mentioned before, and agree it is sad Freddie was embarrassed about his teeth sometimes. He was beautiful as he was. I remember what the old Prosthodontist said to the denture patient who wanted the straightest, whitest ones. He asked, "Do you want people to think you have nice teeth or nice dentures?"

Obsidian Willow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes...I was browsing through up until the 'Noorie's uncle' debate and then skipped forward to see how long the thread was. Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse...

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 190 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

Did you ever hear a phrase or line from any song that Freddie wrote that you thought might be taken from an experience with Freddie that you were part of or witness to? Maybe one where other people would find the phrase/line obscure, but you guys understood the origin and would grin at being "on the inside"? It could be something as simple as a comment Freddie made that he later incorporated into a song.

SinkingIsland

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee & Thor... What, typically, did Freddie wear for a night on the town? Also, did he use fragrance? I seem to have read somewhere that he did.

SinkingIsland

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor... any thoughts to add to Lee's recollections regarding my question on page 23 (just before the 'F' bomb)?

SinkingIsland

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi - I'm reading "Freddie Mercury: An Intimate Memoir by the Man who Knew Him Best" by Peter Freestone and wanted to share this quote with you.

"August 17: Indianapolis, Indiana 18-19th (we stayed in NewYork) It was during this stay in New York that Freddie met up with his own personal Viking. Thor Arnold is blond and big and beautiful and we met him in one of our usual haunts, whether The Spike or The Eagle or The Anvil or wherever is immaterial. Thor is a genuine, all-American boy."

captainjory

Posted: 19 Dec 17, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol aww Phoebe thought you were beautiful! <3 hehe

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 977 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A challenge does not have to be nasty and belittling. The occasional curse word is fine...but not directed toward another. TIT for TAT
blow-up arguments with all the previous quotes is a pain to read and exhausting. I believe it was LOTV and Dustin who went through
3 or 4 pages of nasty comment throwing on the old site. ONCE AGAIN...please use the PM function to argue on and on. Really nobody
wants to read it in the way it is presented on this thread.

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And with that I'll try to answer some of the questions on the last 4 pages...but tomorrow.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen Thor!!! ....if I wanna experience That kinda rage.....i'll just get in my truck n head for some traffic congestion!!lol.
And Thor...you are quite stunning!!! How's ur teeth??lmao ;)

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just checked back...it was Dustin, LOTV and someone named day dop.